• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Ruff

Thanks for the unnecessary sarcasm. IF you'd checked the book in the east hide you would have seen the entry.

Cheers, John

Misconstrued your post as having the Ruff dropped in at the Flashes.No sarcasm intended.:t:

Cheers,Chris.

Todays work party

Today 20 of us split into 3 groups . Thanks to Andy A, Alan D, Bob O, Bobby P, Bob R, Charles, Ian Joh, Ian Jos, Janet H, Jim B, John C, Julie W, Kim W, Paul M, Ray C, Roger S, Sue and Steve T, Terry W and me,
Thanks everyone B :)B :)

!. Continued opening up the South channel of the East Marsh.
2. Opened up a broad section of the blackthorn thicket in the NE corner of the North Moors. This has been done as the interior has died and become leggy. The work will rejuvenate the growth, improving nesting opportunities.
The dead hedge in the same corner has now sprouted black thorn, this was trimmed to open up the path. The brash was cut up and laid into the dead hedge to thicken it up.
3. The mixed scrub thicket on the NW edge of the North Moors also was opened up, to thicken up for passerine nesting. The openness will also allow scrutiny of the area for migrant passerines.
4. Julie also gave the hides a once over.
Please - if you bring cans or coffee cups etc could you take them home and don't hide them behind the noticeboards or in the roof space:eek!:

Many thanks to the 4 cake makers
Marmalade and whiskey - Julie, Lemon Drizzle - Bobby P, Lemon Drizzle - Ian Jos, Rock cake - Sue. and of course I had to try them all :eat:
You watch next week there'll be none 8-P

Photos 1 - 3
The NE scrub at North Moors before and 2 pics after showing trimmed hedge and opened section of blackthorn

4 and 5
The NW section of the mixed scrub

Its hard to put on a photograph what it really looks like so suggest have a walk around next time you area at the reserve.
John

Attachments

• b4 wrk NE blackthorn  p20171003_093549.jpg
    b4 wrk NE blackthorn p20171003_093549.jpg
    805.9 KB · Views: 92
  • NE corner blackthorn afta wrk 20171003_114934.jpg
    NE corner blackthorn afta wrk 20171003_114934.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 89
  • NE scrub afta wrk NM 20171003_114929.jpg
    NE scrub afta wrk NM 20171003_114929.jpg
    893.7 KB · Views: 89
  • NW corner of NM b4 wrk 20171003_101936.jpg
    NW corner of NM b4 wrk 20171003_101936.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 97
  • NW scrub afta wrk NM  20171003_114235.jpg
    NW scrub afta wrk NM 20171003_114235.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
More from today's work party and contractors

Photo's
1. The southern channel now opened up to the main pool.
2. The woven willows screening the approach to the viewing screens. They will have to grow a bit more but hopefully will be effective.
3 - 4 the new hide after a few hours work.

Attachments

• the new channel open 20171003_125318.jpg
    the new channel open 20171003_125318.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 154
  • woven willow to screen  20171003_144655.jpg
    woven willow to screen 20171003_144655.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 86
  • hide construction started s20171003_142420.jpg
    hide construction started s20171003_142420.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 190
  • hide 1st day building 20171003_145730.jpg
    hide 1st day building 20171003_145730.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 179
Photo's
1. The southern channel now opened up to the main pool.
2. The woven willows screening the approach to the viewing screens. They will have to grow a bit more but hopefully will be effective.
3 - 4 the new hide after a few hours work.

Here is a local newspaper article about the new hide - was it really as recent as April 2015 we lost the old hide??

https://bromsgrovestandard.co.uk/ne...ollowing-devastating-fire-two-years-ago-2561/

The article contains the line: "It follows the devastating fire in April 2015 and destroyed three quarters of the green space which is considered one of the county’s most important nature and wildlife reserves." I must have missed that devastation somehow .....:eek!:

Birding the reserve today

MOORS:
As always into the East hide before the work party.
Very quiet feeling more like late October and birdwise even more so.
After I left two Ruff dropped in (per Clive Lee), During the work a few mipits and skylarks flew over. Cetti's warbler was ever present next to the new channel. A kingfisher perched in front of the screens sunning itself low down in the reeds.
Not a lot of improvement after the work.
MOORS species count:
Little Grebe 6, little egret, cormorant 3, greylag 43, mute swan c15, shoveler 35 -40, teal 20, wigeon 1, tufted c20, water rail 3, coot 60 +,
Snipe 2, green sand , common sand, lapwing 120,
kingfisher, skylark 2, cetti's w 3, chiffchaff 3, meadow pipit 2,

FLASHES: The ruff present in the morning had gone and apart from good numbers of shoveler things were quiet. But from 6pm the gulls started to arrive en-masse. All coming in from the south first BHG's followed by a trickle of large gulls that later turned into a flood. By last light the gull roost was at its largest this Autumn with over 3500 birds present. For the first time large gulls outnumber BHG's. Also of note today was the large flock of noisey Jackdaws mixed with small numbers of Rooks. A little owl called at the back of the hide near to the base of the transmitter masts.
Species count FLASHES:
Little grebe, little egret, shoveler 83, teal 55, coot 25, water rail,
Peregrine pr, buzzard 3,
Lapwing 160, green sand 2, curlew 15,
BHG 1700, Yellow legged gull 2 x adults, LBBG c1600, herring 500, common gull 2 x adults,
Little owl, Raven, Jackdaw 220+, rook 30, stock dove 30,
Cetti's w, chiffchaff 2, goldcrest 2, pied wags 15,

Here is a local newspaper article about the new hide - was it really as recent as April 2015 we lost the old hide??

https://bromsgrovestandard.co.uk/ne...ollowing-devastating-fire-two-years-ago-2561/

The article contains the line: "It follows the devastating fire in April 2015 and destroyed three quarters of the green space which is considered one of the county’s most important nature and wildlife reserves." I must have missed that devastation somehow .....:eek!:

There appears to be an editorial blunder in that article. They seem to have conflated the fire at Coney Meadow (in April '15 - which destroyed 75% of the reedbed) with the hide fire at Upton on the North Moors which happened several years earlier.

Who does their reseach?

There appears to be an editorial blunder in that article. They seem to have conflated the fire at Coney Meadow (in April '15 - which destroyed 75% of the reedbed) with the hide fire at Upton on the North Moors which happened several years earlier.

Who does their reseach?

I did wonder as I typed the above whether it had been confused with Coney but then thought "surely not"

Couple more from yesterday - burning the large amount of cut material generated on the island and the Upton Warren navy sailing through the newly re-opened channel after a lot of reed pulling!

Attachments

• UW1.jpg
    UW1.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 191
  • UW2.jpg
    UW2.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 187
  • UW3.jpg
    UW3.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 133
  • UW4.jpg
    UW4.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 177
Felt quiet today probably because for the last 35 years I'm more used to being on St Agnes rather than at Upton and St Agnes is where all the action has been these last few days.

Waders: a Common Sand and one Snipe on the Moors, a Green Sand on Flashes where 15 Curlew came into roost. Lapwing counts 120 Moors, 170 Flashes - presumably some overlap.

Warblers: Chiffchaff 2 and Cetti's 1 on the Moors: Blackcap on Flashes.

Wildfowl: 9 Wigeon, 2 male Pochard, 12+Tufted, 58 Shoveler, 35 Teal, 70 Coot, 20 Mute Swan on the Moors: 19 Moorhen, 36 Teal & 61 Shoveler on the Flashes again presumably some overlap.

Gulls: Big roost on the flashes: 1500+BHG, 600+LBB, 200+ Herring, 1 Common, 4+Ad YLG. Observation difficult due to wind which meant all gulls were facing us. An Adult LBB ringed left leg, Red Ring, White Lettering, "V111"? (Never seen a ring like this before.)

Other: 2Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Peregrine, 2 Little Egret, Nuthatch, Goldcrest, 2 Raven, Mistle Thrush, Water Rail, 2 Jay - all on Moors. 3GGG on Sailing Pool.

Cafe closed at 4.30 and sailing pool gates closed before five.

JS, JHWR, MJI

I have spoken to Alan Davies ( an old mate) from the Big Twitch about this. He said Leica had cancelled the event .john

Just as well as I don't think there would have been room for them!. Thursdays seem to have had a resurgence over the past few weeks with 9 of us in East hide before 9.30 today. My usual early start was in the dark with a storm battering the hide and then it cleared to a lovely sunny though chilly morning. Highlights were wigeon x 8, pochardx2, common sandpiper, common snipe in double figures, big increase in numbers of teal and shoveler over my visit last week. Only two gadwall seen. Small stuff noticeably absent with only a flock of long tailed tits seen by me before I left. Cettis heard but not seen. Regards Dennis

Reserve looking mint this morning. Just needed to find an American wader to complete morning. Had to settle for a late Wheatear, Raven, Green Sand, 126 Lapwing & a single Swallow.

Reports also of Ruff and Pintail at the Moors Pool this afternoon. Barn Owl over fields adjacent to the A38 north of the Moors as per Mike W.

interesting evening 1st I went to the Flashes, 15 curlew,1 green sand,50+ Lapwiing ,65 BHG, 10 LBBG. Little Grebe(3rd flash) Rooks,Ravens and Jackdaws, then a report of a pintail near the bitten channel at the moors so I popped over there from the west hide saw lots of ducks Mallard,Tufted,3 Pochard,5 wigeon,Shoveler, but no pintail.Nearly went home for tea but changed my mind and took a walk past new hide looks good(maybe the trust could use some camouflage paint so any undesirables can't see it to easy from the road)when I reached the east hide one other guy in there (John Lingard) I said I was looking for a pintail he said he hadn't seen it but there was 3 Whooper Swans just in front of the hide and a Ruff. OMG ,even worst I didn't get the info out very well SORRY. They were still there when I left in the dark so could be there first light fingers crossed.Only forgot my camera too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back