• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cisticola from South Africa (Isimangaliso) (1 Viewer)

arodris

Hi,

I need some help to identify this cisticola. Pictures were taken last august at the Isimangaliso Wetland Park, near the village of St. Lucia. The habitat was a dry pond with savanna around.

My first idea was a croaking cisticola, as I saw a big bill. However, now I am not so sure.

Thank you very much in advance,

Antonio

Attachments

• Cisticola-natalensis_001.jpg
    Cisticola-natalensis_001.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Cisticola-natalensis_002.jpg
    Cisticola-natalensis_002.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 37
It was in a pond that was almost dry, but with abundant reeds and grasses on it. It was surrounded by some savannah.

Antonio

It's obviously a big Cisticola, so not a Pale-crowned.
I recall that I made a proposal.
Jean
These are always tough to distinguish so I am by no means sure that what I proposed was in anyway correct, but for the sake of all of us learning ... can you tell me why ...
(a) it is obviously a big Cisticola?
(b) you say Rattling over any of the others?

Why not Larry ? It looks like a Croaking to me, and with such a thick bill, black gape and rufous, weakly striated crown I don't see what else it could be.

Habitat is wrong surely?

Pale-crowned is a pretty uncommon bird with a much weaker bill and again, it's a grassland species.

Attached is my shot from near Wakkestroom.

Attachments

• Pale-crowned Cisticola.jpg
    Pale-crowned Cisticola.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 16
Why not Larry ? It looks like a Croaking to me, and with such a thick bill, black gape and rufous, weakly striated crown I don't see what else it could be.

Lol. I was just about to post that I think it might be Croaking after all Valery. I've been looking at some images of Croaking, and they certainly match the OP bird better than my memory! I'm not 100% sure, but could easily be persuaded it's a croaker

Habitat is wrong surely?

Pale-crowned is a pretty uncommon bird with a much weaker bill and again, it's a grassland species.

Attached is my shot from near Wakkestroom.

Andy, Croaking is probably the most common species at that place, and the habitat is perfect. The thick bill excludes Pale-crowned and all little cisticolas.

Thank you all for you comments.

As I said, my first idea was a croaking, and still I think it can be (thick bill, head seems streaked). However, I have to recognize that cisticolas in south africa are very difficult to differentiate (at least for me: too many species and all of them very similar).

Picture was taken at iZindondwe Pan, at the Eastern shores of Isimangaliso. May it is helpful to identify the bird.

Thanks again

Antonio

Last edited:
Thank you all for you comments.

As I said, my first idea was a croaking, and still I think it can be (thick bill, head seems streaked). However, I have to recognize that cisticolas in south africa are very difficult to differentiate (at least for me: too many species and all of them very similar).

Picture was taken at iZindondwe Pan, at the Eastern shores of Isimangaliso. May it is helpful to identify the bird.

Thanks again

Antonio

I've no doubt that it is a Croaking.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back