• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hong Kong raptor and crow (Nov. 2019) (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi,

I took these on Nov. 29, 2019 on Lantau Island in Hong Kong.

My thinking is Black Kite and Carrion Crow.

Would I be correct?

Thanks,
Howard

Attachments

• raptor2.jpg
    raptor2.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 44
  • crow.jpg
    crow.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 67
Agree with Black Kite.

Carrion Crow is a rare vagrant to HK (fewer than 10 records).
The default all-black crow in HK is Large-billed, which is a common resident species and forms large communal roosts (including at a couple of sites on Lantau, where it's very easy to see). Although it's not an easy angle to judge bill shape, the broad, rounded wings and long, rounded tail look right for Large-billed, and I think that's what this is.

If that corvid photo was taken in the UK I'd have called it an immature Rook. Can it be Eastern Rook (C. (f.) pastinator)?

There have been a couple of records of Eastern Rook in HK during the last two years (it had long been predicted as a feasible vagrant).

But given that Large-billed Crow is very common (I probably see it every time I go to Lantau island, including flocks approaching 100 birds), I think you'd need much stronger evidence of the bill structure to suggest it's another species.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back