• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ceramic Bins? (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

I found the following snippet on the net (on the www.dpreview.com site)- "Casio has today announced its first camera to incorporate ceramic lens technology, which has a higher refractive index and is stronger and thinner than glass …. (it) is the smallest 2.8x optical zoom camera in the world, just 17mm thick".

I wonder what this new technology may bring to binocular design. I doubt if we'll see any significant improvements in optical quality, but might it bring a reduction in overall size or weight? Do some of our resident experts have the answer?

John

Geoff Brown said:
..we will have Wedgewood or Crown Derby lenses in our optics in future? :-O
I tell you - I wouldn't have seen fewer birds with bins like those yesterday morning than I did with my glass lensed ones. What a quiet time inland.

John Cantelo said:
I found the following snippet on the net (on the www.dpreview.com site)- "Casio has today announced its first camera to incorporate ceramic lens technology, which has a higher refractive index and is stronger and thinner than glass …. (it) is the smallest 2.8x optical zoom camera in the world, just 17mm thick".

I wonder what this new technology may bring to binocular design. I doubt if we'll see any significant improvements in optical quality, but might it bring a reduction in overall size or weight? Do some of our resident experts have the answer?

John

I know nowt about binoculars, optics or birding - but I know about antiques! So I paid £500 for a pair of 7x42 Leitz rubber armoured Trinovids after doing a bit of research (brand new, but 25 years old, if you know what I mean!)
6 months later, I can honestly say they are one of the best investments I have ever made. I've looked down countless new pairs at all sorts of prices, and read review after review etc. etc. Fact is, they were made, almost regardless of cost, at a time when German optics was a field funded by military aspiration. ie, they wanted quality at any price. Hence they are lighter, better engineered, more functional and more inspirational than anything else by far.
No doubt I'll now be overwhelmed by the technophiles who will tell me I don't know about modern coatings etc. etc. but let me ask them one simple question:
Who ever sold a premium pair of antique (10 to 30 years old)Leitz or Zeiss binoculars and NEVER regretted it?

Foxhunter said:
I know nowt about binoculars, optics or birding - but I know about antiques! So I paid £500 for a pair of 7x42 Leitz rubber armoured Trinovids after doing a bit of research (brand new, but 25 years old, if you know what I mean!)
6 months later, I can honestly say they are one of the best investments I have ever made. I've looked down countless new pairs at all sorts of prices, and read review after review etc. etc. Fact is, they were made, almost regardless of cost, at a time when German optics was a field funded by military aspiration. ie, they wanted quality at any price. Hence they are lighter, better engineered, more functional and more inspirational than anything else by far.
No doubt I'll now be overwhelmed by the technophiles who will tell me I don't know about modern coatings etc. etc. but let me ask them one simple question:
Who ever sold a premium pair of antique (10 to 30 years old)Leitz or Zeiss binoculars and NEVER regretted it?

Sounds like you love old quality stuff — i.e., a collector? Personally, I'd say to love 'em is great, buy more! ... but be careful about thinking "investment." If one can't expect to sell 'em in ten years for more than twice the price, then it's lost to inflation. :'D
elkcub

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back