• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon USA Warranty (1 Viewer)

BruceH

I am trying to find out the USA warranty details on the current Nikon EDG series.

It appears there are two policies that apply:

- 25 Year Limited Warranty
- Nikon No-Fault / Replacement Warranty

I did find a link to the No-Fault Warranty but not the 25 year warranty. If anybody could provide a link, that would be great.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/uploads/warranties/2012_warranty_certificate.pdf

The No-Fault warranty says:

"If your Nikon Binocular, Spotting Scope or Fieldscope requires service or repair not covered by our 25-Year Limited Warranty, Nikon will repair or replace it (even if it was your fault) for just $10, plus return shipping and handling.

Does this mean the EDG is covered for the first 25 years of ownership for manufacturer defects at no cost to the buyer? If there is a manufacturer defect after the 25 years, then Nikon will fix it for $10 plus shipping? If so, then basically it has a lifetime manufacturing defects warranty but will cost $10 after 25 years?

I interpret the No-Fault warranty to be lifetime rather than 25 years. Is that correct?

Also, is there anything written down about transferring the warranty to someone else if the EDG is sold?

Finally, what paper work is required to make a warranty claim?

I thought Nikon would make this information easy to find in the days of the internet, but I sure could not find it!

Thanks.

This forum has a sticky thread "The truth about binocular warranties (U.S.)" that will probably answer your question.

Bruce:

I think you've stated it in your first post. Nikon will cover you under the original
warranty for the stated 25 yr. limited lifetime warr. You just send it in to them.
After that, or preowned, you will have to pay $10. plus return S&H.

In any case it is a very good warranty. The Nikon warranty is well regarded, so don't
let that bother you in purchasing one of these products.

Jerry

No worry, nikon USA is great. I dropped my glass knocked them out of alignment and loosened the bridge. They realigned and tightened them, free of charge. Just took about two weeks. Even though it was my fault, no questions were asked.

Jerry, thanks for confirming my basic assumptions and for you and Newfie offering your opinions on the quality of Nikon's warranty.

I went ahead and ordered a Nikon EDG II from Amazon. One reason for me going with Amazon is they are great about returns, so if any thing is wrong with the actual enclosed warranty or the binocular, I can send them back for a hassle free refund without having to even deal with Nikon. This means basically no risk to me. Actually, it is like an additional 30 day warranty from Amazon.

I will try to remember to come back to this thread and post the details of the warranty after the binoculars arrive and I have a chance to review both the 25 year and the no fault warranty documents.

It seems like Nikon could have made things simpiler, but it gets the job done and is not a reason to deminish their product.

Who knows if Nikon will have their No Fault Policy in effect in 25 years?

It's mainly for used bins and refurbs, but it would apply to any Nikon bin w/out a current warranty. So yes, if they still have the policy in effect in 25 years, you will be covered.

I'm glad you're thinking long term. Some buyers on these forums can't hold onto a bin for a year before turning it over for the "latest and greatest," let alone 25 years.

In 25 years and one day, you can sell your EDG to Fan Tao's Binocular Museum since all bins will probably be digital by then, and it will be a relic of a by-gone era.

Brock

Bruce, what size EDG did you order? You won't be disappointed - very easy, rich, pleasant view.

I went with the Dennis Weekly Special, the Nikon EDG II 8X32. His "up front presentation" in several threads was the first to bring them to my attention and that allowed me to key in on the high recommendations from many of the other posters here on BirdForum. I am looking forward to the view.

Thanks Dennis ...... from Nikon, Amazon, Visa and me!

Do you know what the two worst words you can hear after placing an order? They are from Amazon saying "Shipping Soon". :-C: (Waiting patiently)

Who knows if Nikon will have their No Fault Policy in effect in 25 years? ........... Brock

I am not sure how that impacts my order. Even if Nikon dropped it next month, I think the no fault warranty would still apply to my unit since I bought it when the warranty was valid. Even if they do not have the warranty in effect in 25 years, I think my unit (bought now) would still be covered. Am I missing something here?

...........I'm glad you're thinking long term. Some buyers on these forums can't hold onto a bin for a year before turning it over for the "latest and greatest," let alone 25 years.....Brock

Thinking "long term" to me is about 10 years. Just a rough guess here, but it seems the alphas upgrade about every 5 years. I am thinking it will take about two generations before the upgrades would be significant to me.

Assuming I could sell these in 10 years for 50% of what I paid, the cost of ownership will be about $850 or $85 per year. I do 5 or more 14 day trips a year, backwoods camping in the mountains of eastern AZ. I am using binoculars daily viewing various critters. That means it is costing me $17 or less per trip to get one of the finest views in the world! For comparison, it costs me a least $100 in diesel just to get up there in back with a little driving around! Not included in that calculation is the use I get out of them during the other months of the year. So, that is what I was thinking when deciding to make the purchase.

.......In 25 years and one day, you can sell your EDG to Fan Tao's Binocular Museum since all bins will probably be digital by then, and it will be a relic of a by-gone era. Brock

Maybe, but then again, maybe not. I still have my first quality binocular (in its day) that I bought when I was about 15 years old, a Bushnell 9X36 Custom. I use it once in a while and I enjoy the view. You should approve, it is a porro!

Warranty Details

I received my Nikon EDG II 8X32 Wednesday and my brother received a Nikon EDG II 10X42 on Thursday. They both had the same enclosed paperwork which consisted of:

An EDG Owner's Manual with updated pictures of the EDG II
(The manual on the Nikon Web site is from the EDG I)

A Black cardboard EDG folder with the following documents:
- A one page card offering a $10 Nikon ProGear Gift Card if you register you Nikon product online.

- A foldout Questionnaire. Sending it in by Sept 30, 2012 registers you for a drawing of three remaining digital cameras to be given out this coming November.

- A white "Warranty Form" covering the "Nikon Twenty-Five Year Limited Warranty"

What was interesting is that there was NO enclosed documentation or mention of the No-Fault Warranty.

Summary of the 25 year warranty
- Covers defects in workmanship and material.
- Good for 25 years from date of purchase.
- Good only for the original purchaser.
- Valid only with products sold by Nikon, Inc. (Meaning Nikon USA?)
- Valid in the Continental United States, Hawaii and Alaska.
- Nikon can either repair or replace with a like value Nikon item.
- Purchaser pays shipping to repair facility.
- Must include with the product this Warranty, Proof of purchase, and proof of purchase date.
- Warranty form cannot be copied.

There is nothing on the form asking or indicating that you need to mail in the warranty form or register the product ahead of time. The form/card is not a return mail type format that you see from some other manufacturers. However Nikon does provide the gift card incentive to register online.

Summary of the Nikon No-Fault Repair/Replacement Policy (From the Nikon Website)
- If the product is not covered by the 25 year Limited Warranty, Nikon will repair or replace it for $10 plus shipping even if it was your fault.
- No mention is made about ownership or time duration (which implies a life-time policy to me) .
- Copyright date is 1/12.

I suggest that any Nikon owner print off a copy of the No-Fault policy otherwise good luck in finding it on the net serveral years from now if Nikon deletes the page.

Attached are images of the two documents.

Attachments

• Nikon 25 Year Warranty.jpg
    Nikon 25 Year Warranty.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Nikon No Fault Warranty.jpg
    Nikon No Fault Warranty.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
.....What was interesting is that there was NO enclosed documentation or mention of the No-Fault Warranty.
No mention is made about ownership or time duration (which implies a life-time policy to me) .
Copyright date is 1/12.
I suggest that any Nikon owner print off a copy of the No-Fault policy otherwise good luck in finding it on the net serveral years from now if Nikon deletes the page.

Nikon replaced a second-hand 10x42HG/LX which they could not repair with a refurbished Nikon Premier 10x42 (refurbished status identified by a silver punch mark on the focussing wheel), supplied with a 90 day warranty and, I hope, covered by the No-fault warranty. The dreary details of the background to this replacement are covered in Birdforum's Binocular Nikon forum. Your suggestion that Nikon owners print off a copy of the No-Fault policy is an excellent one, as the version that I used was much earlier than the 1/12 version mentioned in your present post.
Best wishes,
Chhayanat

I purchased a Refurbished Nikon 10 x 35 EII from a large Telescope Dealer in Northwestern NJ about 7 years ago. It was also identified by the aforementioned punch mark and it also had a 90 day warranty. I took it out the door, looked over the rural area for 5 minutes, went back into the building and took out my credit card.

I paid $250.00 for it. I have had absolutely no problems with it.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back