• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suet Balls/Fat Balls Suet; Do They Have A Shelf Life ? (1 Viewer)

Hornchurch

'

Might sound daft, me asking, but, this....

I've got a tub of '50' suet-balls that has been stored, INDOORS, at a holiday-home, elsewhere.

The tub is at least FOUR years old, however....

There are at least 36 suet-balls left & the container-tub, has remained 'lid-shut' (air-tight) all the time.

Then, neighbour to the holiday home, bought in TWO wretched cats, killing everything in sight :C

Back to & regarding the remaining '36' suet-balls.....

They look just fine, but was wondering whether to put them out (home), or, sling 'em ??

We do have a brand-new year 2020 tub - (bought two days ago, for the home-property)

Do suet-balls have an effective (realistic), finite date (generalising) ?

Would you guys put 'em out ? (they look fine), or would you sling 'em ?

Seems a shame to waste 36 of 'em - was wondering "if" they'll be ok ?

Suet as you are aware is animal fat and eventually will become rancid. The cheaper ones have all sorts in them, straw, wood shavings amongst the seeds. I would throw them out or tip them away, say a wild hedgerows and start you garden feeding with fresh good quality fat balls.

If they still smell fresh and aren't crumbly, I would put a couple out. I've looked at several bird food sites and they don't seem to mention a shelf life for fat balls.

'

Might sound daft, me asking, but, this....

I've got a tub of '50' suet-balls that has been stored, INDOORS, at a holiday-home, elsewhere.

The tub is at least FOUR years old, however....

There are at least 36 suet-balls left & the container-tub, has remained 'lid-shut' (air-tight) all the time.

Then, neighbour to the holiday home, bought in TWO wretched cats, killing everything in sight :C

Back to & regarding the remaining '36' suet-balls.....

They look just fine, but was wondering whether to put them out (home), or, sling 'em ??

We do have a brand-new year 2020 tub - (bought two days ago, for the home-property)

Do suet-balls have an effective (realistic), finite date (generalising) ?

Would you guys put 'em out ? (they look fine), or would you sling 'em ?

Seems a shame to waste 36 of 'em - was wondering "if" they'll be ok ?

I know this is long time since origional thread, though yes they do go off. Apparently once opened they should be used over several weeks. I used to buy a large cardboard box of them, well a few boxes, online. Seed mix and mealworm mix. Tested a few recently but the birds stay away from them. They are approx over a year old. Had them stored in those large plastic food bins rodent safe in garage. Have bought new now in tubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back