• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird in Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas 25 miles west of Brownsville (1 Viewer)

There is a female Blue-throated Hummingbird at Weslaco, Texas. Someone on the Texas listserv posted that there is a long-billed subspecies in north-eastern Mexico, and also that there was some concern that Weslaco hummer had a bill that seemed long for Blue-throated (relative to the birds that show up in Arizona and far west Texas).

The bird is in Hidalgo County and this is in fact the bird in question. I guess Blue-throated is the only bird that makes sense, and I have seen Blue-throated in the area before (once). I am still very bothered by the long bill and somewhat by other coloration I see in the throat on some photos (may be artifacts so I want to wait until I get to a better photo editor).

Bill does seem a bit long but looks like Blue throated to me; can see prominent white tips to outer recs ruling out Magnificent and Amethyst-throated. Dark tail with brinzish rump also not- indicative of Mag..

It also doesn't have the tawny throat of a female Amethyst-throated.

Checking the Birds of North America account, documented bill length in L. c. clemenciae, the subspecies found from southeastern Nuevo Leon and southwestern Tamaulipas south, is 22.1 to 24.3 mm, compared to 21.8 to 23.2 in the northwestern subspecies L. c. bessophilus and 20.3 to 22.2 in phasmorus of western Texas, Coahuila, and western Nuevo Leon. It also notes that the underparts of clemenciae are paler than in phasmorus, which also seems consistent with this photo.

Cool record! I wonder if any of the other eastern and central Texas records of Blue-throated have been photographed well enough to make a guess at subspecies?

Thanks Sheri. That basically wraps it up for me.

When I found the bird I was shocked that, as open as it was nobody was there watching! I was hoping against hope for something else but it still gave me some great photos of a species I have seen rarely previously.

Mark Klym
Bastrop, TX

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back