Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Georgia, Caucasus ...information wanted

Old Friday 14th November 2008, 17:32   #1
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Georgia, Caucasus ...information wanted

I guess it is hopeful that anyone has been since the summer conflicts with Russia, but I would be interested if anyone has an idea over the current access to Kazbegi (one of the country's prime birding areas, Caucasian Snowcock, etc).

This site is up near the border, tucked up against South Ossetia to the west, but not actually in it, with Russia directly north.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 20th November 2008, 15:56   #2
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Jos,

I received the Oct 2008 Sunbird Newsletter today. For what it's worth, concerning Georgia, it notes: "thankfully things seem to have quietened down and we have every intention of returning there next year" [ie Apr/May 2009, including Kazbegi of course].

You could try contacting the Georgian Center for the Conservation of Wildlife (publisher of A Birdwatching Guide to Georgia): [email protected], www.gccw.org.

Richard

Last edited by Richard Klim : Thursday 20th November 2008 at 16:02.
Old Thursday 20th November 2008, 17:09   #3
lewis20126

Jos et al

I would imagine the road to Kazbegi is fine. There is a good road (not the South Osettia road) as far as the ski resort (much frequented by the president I was told) although beyond that it is worse to Kazbegi. Although security may have been tightened I doubt there are any Russians up there!

cheers, alan
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: