• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Male Mandarin Duck In Eclipse Plumage? Melling Liverpool UK (this week) (1 Viewer)

Hi all

I didn't want to disturb this bird too much, but is this a male Mandarin Duck in eclipse plumage?

I see a lack of crest, but I've never seen a juvenile and can't find one in my Collins so can';t be sure.

The colours in the bottom photo might be a bit out as the exposure was affected due to the bird being in shade.

thanks

Attachments

• mandarin.jpg
    mandarin.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 107
Males in eclipse still show the raspberry coloured bill so it's not an adult male. Which leaves a juv/female type. I suspect a juvenile as it lacks the white line at the base of the bill an adult female would show. And in the bottom picture there is a hint of red at the base of the bill so possibly a young male.

Males in eclipse still show the raspberry coloured bill so it's not an adult male. Which leaves a juv/female type. I suspect a juvenile as it lacks the white line at the base of the bill an adult female would show. And in the bottom picture there is a hint of red at the base of the bill so possibly a young male.

Thanks Dave :t:

A juvenile male eh? Cracking bird btw - it's like its got a bit of class about it - and the male in full plumage, which I've been lucky enough to see (see photo), is most probably my favourite bird. Well, next to the Liver bird,of course ;)

Attachments

• gallery-mandarin-duck.jpg
    gallery-mandarin-duck.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 21
An update on this.

I was riding along the canal tow-path and came across these 2 dudes.

Judging by what I've learnt from Dave, these are 2 juvenile males and the exciting thing is that they must be breeding around here, which is going to be a joy to see.

I've seen the odd male about once a year, but never juveniles - never mind 2 of them :t:

Attachments

• juvenile-mandarin-001.jpg
    juvenile-mandarin-001.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 26
  • juvenile-mandarin-002.jpg
    juvenile-mandarin-002.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 61
  • juvenile-mandarin-003.jpg
    juvenile-mandarin-003.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 43
  • juvenile-mandarin-004.jpg
    juvenile-mandarin-004.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 143
An update on this.

I was riding along the canal tow-path and came across these 2 dudes.

Judging by what I've learnt from Dave, these are 2 juvenile males and the exciting thing is that they must be breeding around here, which is going to be a joy to see.

I've seen the odd male about once a year, but never juveniles - never mind 2 of them :t:
Sorry, both adult females - note the irregular (asymmetrical) feathering on the wing coverts and tertials, which means they're moulting, which in turn means they're adults. Then females from the dark grey bills.

Sorry, both adult females - note the irregular (asymmetrical) feathering on the wing coverts and tertials, which means they're moulting, which in turn means they're adults. Then females from the dark grey bills.

What about the missing white line at the base of the bill that Dave pointed out, Nutty?

Wouldn't that suggest juvenile?

And I'm sorry, I meant females in my reply (my bad) ;)

What about the missing white line at the base of the bill that Dave pointed out, Nutty?

Wouldn't that suggest juvenile?

And I'm sorry, I meant females in my reply (my bad) ;)
Don't think that's significant - this is definitely an adult female (it's been around since the spring up here), and it doesn't have a white line round the bill base either. And like yours, moulting its wing coverts and tertials at the moment.

Attachments

• 0000.jpg
    0000.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back