• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallard eating Slow Worm (1 Viewer)

Bismarck Honeyeater

Barely known member
How common is this?

Watched a female Mallard swallow, after about 10 attempts (it kept climbing back up her throat!) a Slow Worm, approx. 40cm long. She finally waded into the river outside my front door and drank some water to assist in washing it down.

I always assumed that Mallards were vegetarian but I see that females eat a lot of animal food whilst egg-laying, are Slow Worms often eaten?

I once spent a good five minutes watching a mallard trying and finally succeeding to eat a good sized frog.

Mallards will eat almost anything. I once saw Mallard eating Mallard! A group were crossing the road in Norfolk when one got killed. A drake then ate several bits. There's a thread on here from a few years ago on this subject. An incident at Blashford Lakes where a Mallard killed and ate a juvenile Sand Martin that landed in the water. And on a lake in Romania Mallards were seen to eat a Grey Wagtail and Black Redstart that had landed on the water. There was a BBC news report on this as I recall.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back