• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bins advice welcomed (1 Viewer)

aigarnett

New Member Ian Garnett would welcome advice on selecting and purchasing a good pair of Bins for Birdwatching.

The RSPB website advises 8 x 30 (or 40) with good close focus, small turns of 'wheel' to adjust focusing, light weight, rubber coated, image clear to very edge of lens, price £50 +

Any comments on this 'buy list' or your best buy recommendations for the purpose of birdwatching would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Ian Garnett

Hi Ian and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Have a look in our Optics section of the Forum. There are plenty of good suggestions in that section and if you don't find exactly what you are looking for, just start a new thread in that section. Enjoy!

You did not say how much maximum you want to spend. Try some 8x40 porro prisms, like Opticron or Nikon Action, in a store. If you do not like them, then try roof prism models, 8x30, 8x36, 8x42 are typical. Lots of models and brands. Look for brightness. If you look through a 10x pair, you can usually see that they are dimmer. Some models OK at 10x as well. But most are more money.

Look for a good unit as well, as the one in the box may have minor faults. Alignment is often a problem in cheaper bins. Try them at home, if your eyes hurt, take them back. Demand a new pair of same model.

Last edited:
The RSPB advice sounds pretty sound to me. You might want to consider waterproofing as well though - when you start out you might not think you're gonna go birding in the rain, but you'd be amazed what you'll do once the bug bites.

£50 is definitely a minimum for a good pair. I started out with a £20 pair from Jessops which lasted me about a year until I tried a decent pair and realised how poor they were!

There are some great pairs for £100+ though. Everyone on BF raves about Nikon Sporter 8x32 (search the forums and you'll find loads of recommendations) - I tried them once and was pretty impressed. Warehouse Express (see ad at top of the page) are still selling them for £99, which is an amazing price for a pretty decent pair pair of roof prisms. Also look closely at Opticron, who do very good value bins throughout the range.

If you can stretch to £300, my personal favourites are the RSPB's own 8x32 roofs - I've tried them a few times and thought they were top class, optically the match for my own Leica Trinovids.

Having said all that, you really do need to get stuck in and test a few pairs - find a decent retailer or head to Bird Fair in August at Rutland.

Thanks for your help

KCFoggin said:
Hi Ian and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Have a look in our Optics section of the Forum. There are plenty of good suggestions in that section and if you don't find exactly what you are looking for, just start a new thread in that section. Enjoy!

Hi KC, Merci beaucoup for your advice on selecting my first 'serious' pair of bins.

Cheers,

Ian Garnett
Oldham
England

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back