• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (1 Viewer)

Derek

Great selection of of photos and thanks for posting. Looks like you got them all..

I think you have got the best photo todate of the Surf Scoter. As a local I have tried several times to get a decent photo with no luck.
Tom

Photos
Kulmiens' Gull
American Herring Gull
Iceland Gull
Brent Geese over Nimmo's.

Attachments

• DSC0876 100208 bg.jpg
    DSC0876 100208 bg.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC00764 100208 bf.jpg
    DSC00764 100208 bf.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC0860 100203 bf.jpg
    DSC0860 100203 bf.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC0894 100208 bf.jpg
    DSC0894 100208 bf.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 287
News Flash

Lesser Scaup was found today on Lough Rea by Paul and Andrea Kelly.

Anyone else out there with news or sightings.

ALDI are currently selling very cheap spotting scopes €36
They are not top quality, might just do the job. Make sure you open the box and test the scope first.

Hello Tom,
A few more pictures from last weekend.

Derek

Attachments

• 1STW AHG 046.jpg
    1STW AHG 046.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 1STW AHG 056.jpg
    1STW AHG 056.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 308
  • 1STW AHG 066.jpg
    1STW AHG 066.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 1STW AHG 085.jpg
    1STW AHG 085.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 1STW AHG 091.jpg
    1STW AHG 091.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 282
Hello all,
Pic of Lough Rea Lesser Scaup now on Paul and Andrea Kelly's website.
Does anybody have any updates on it? What its associating with etc?

Aldi Scopes - Beware

If this is the same Aldi scope that I bought about this time last year - a black Traveler 20-60x 60mm - stay away from it. It is just about usable at 20x. Even at that I kept going back to my binocs to try to resolve detail. Last year their advertising photo showed a man looking through the scope mounted on a tripod. What the photo did not show was that the tripod is a mini tripod (about 8" legs) placed on a car roof.

The 90mm Bresser scope that Lidl had before Xmas is a very usable scope and real value for money at about €130 (I think). Only minuses are very narrow field of view and full length tripod head needs some work to stop scope wobbling on it.

Thanks again to Derek Charles for posting his excellent series of photos

No news of Lesser Scaup on Lough Rea.
This is the link for Paul and Andrea Kelly's website it is always worth check their site after the weekend.
http://www.irishbirdimages.com/index.html

At the Docks today 1st winter American Herring and 10 Iceland Gulls, also 5 Iceland Gulls at the Slipway at Nimmo's.

No sign of the Surf Scoter on Silver Strand today but a Red-throated diver was in very close feeding in the wave surf.

As far as the Aldi scope is concern 'ya get what ya pay for'

Attachments

• DSC0923 130208 bf.jpg
    DSC0923 130208 bf.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 295
Nice Diver pic.

I tend to watch birds mainly in north Tipp, Offaly and occasionally east Galway and east Clare. I was thinking of starting a thread for that area. My Galway birding is limited to occasional Sunday trips to Lough Rusheen and weekday walks down to Dangan which is excellent for Groppers in the summer. Thats even though I live here. All the other places are closer to where I'm from however
Does anybody reading this ever go to those other areas and would be willing to contribute?
Trying to think of a suitable name and a good reason for having that as the area covered is difficult however.
It coincides to some extent with the recording area for the Mid Shannon Bird Report. Stephen Heery (the recorder) would also like any records anybody might have too I'm sure.

By the way anybody planning a trip to the Clonfert area and Bishops Island on the Shannon from the Galway side don't bother. The road is flooded and impassable not very far past Clonfert Cathedral.

Nice Diver pic.

I tend to watch birds mainly in north Tipp, Offaly and occasionally east Galway and east Clare. I was thinking of starting a thread for that area. Does anybody reading this ever go to those other areas and would be willing to contribute?
It coincides to some extent with the recording area for the Mid Shannon Bird Report. Stephen Heery (the recorder) would also like any records anybody might have too I'm sure.

Nice shot Tom.

Brosnabirder,
I cant help you there unfortunetly. Regarding contributors.If Stephen gets his records via e-mail, it might be worth letting him know about the thread. I am sure he would be delighted with the additional records that would be created.He might be able to send you the e mail addresses of the contributors and you could e mail them a link to the new thread?
There is a midlands birdwatch HQ in Banaher County Offaly(Ithink).Some of the staff might like to contribute, if they knew about it.Their contact details should be on the Birdwatch Website.
Also contacting any birdwatch branch that the thread might cover.

Good Luck

ps. I think its a great idea.

Last edited:
Thanks Peter,
Some good ideas there. This is only vaguely related to Galway so apologies for that.
I've often thought it a pity that the Banagher office of BWI doesn't have its own website or at least a section on the BWI main site. I've seen some of the people down there on BF from time to time so they might contribute.
One of the main problems with watching birds inland is the lack of easily accessible sites. Those that are accessible often seem to be underwatched. I think local patch threads are great for those news on those birds which wouldn't trouble BINS however.
Thanks again for the input. Although it could be that there simply aren't enough people out there to contribute or there are not enough sightings from publically accessible sites.
This doesn't seem to be a problem in Galway.
Let you know how I get on

Finally went to explore the Menlo area today where I had a blackcap in song, though remaining hidden in an ivy clad ash tree. Also a ringtail hen harrier, 4 ravens overhead and good numbers of duck on Lough Corrib - hundreds of pochard, lots of tufties, few goldeneye, gcgrebes etc. Also quite a few scaup apparently, but miles out so a bit tricky.

No sign of the water pipit near Rinville on two recent visits, though I dare say it's wintering somewhere nearby. Still one near Lough Murree, just across the Clare border yesterday. The clarebirdwatching website also mentions the Forsters tern on the Galway border near Doorus on Saturday.

Brosnabirder...I presume you're the Tom I met at Rusheen a few weeks ago? I get down to Limerick occasionally, so may be able to chip in with the odd sighting if your thread includes that end of the Shannon. Otherwise it'll be a good read anyway - sounds like a great idea.

Troakie

Hello Paul,
Thats me alright. A Birdforum member tick for you! Or armchair tick I should say
Will ask around and see if theres any interest in thread. You get about a fair bit. Sounds like you could have your own thread

Last edited:
Troakie
Thanks for your up date. The Forster's Tern was locate by Dermot Breen. Attached photo is from Dermot.

Tom
Good luck with the new tread. The more treads start the better. You could of course contact Tipp BirdWatch http://www.birdwatchtipp.com/

Let us know when you up and running.
Tom

Attachments

• DSC04038.jpg
    DSC04038.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 292
Peter
I had the same thoughts this bird appeared in Galway on the 22nd December. It is assumed that it is a returning bird for the past 4-5 years. Could also be doing a circuit of the coast as one was seen I think in Wexford and Cork.
Tom

Hello Phillip/Tom.
While it is possible that the Louth and Galway Tern may be the same it seems more likely that they are different birds. The past few years up to three Forsters Terns have been seen at various locations around the Irish coast. The Galway bird is more likely to roam round the vast west coast during the winter and is spotted only when it makes its occassional appearances in Galway. The Louth bird is more likely to be one of two or three birds which seem to winter on the coast from Northern Ireland to Wexford the last few years.
On a different note Galway has now become one of the top winter spots for birding and in particular gull watching in Ireland and the UK. Nimmos is famous across the UK and Europe for white winged gulls and in particular the most regular spot for American Herring Gull. For anyone who hasn't been it really is a unique location.Where else would you get Ring Billed, Iceland, Glaucous, AHG etc etc standing together just yards from you.

All the best

Derek

Female or juvenile Snowy Owl today between Spiddal and Moycullen. At Poll Gleann Donaill. Absolute stunner. Saw it this afternoon. Moulting primaries. Saw it in flight and on ground. Couldn't post it sooner as nowhere near a computer

Female or juvenile Snowy Owl today between Spiddal and Moycullen. At Poll Gleann Donaill. Absolute stunner. Saw it this afternoon. Moulting primaries. Saw it in flight and on ground. Couldn't post it sooner as nowhere near a computer

Thats great news. I am coming down (going across?) to Galway some time in March. It would be nice if she was still there.
American Herring Gull, Cattle Egret and Snowy Owl.

Now that would be worth the trip!

Hello Phillip/Tom.
While it is possible that the Louth and Galway Tern may be the same it seems more likely that they are different birds. The past few years up to three Forsters Terns have been seen at various locations around the Irish coast. The Galway bird is more likely to roam round the vast west coast during the winter and is spotted only when it makes its occassional appearances in Galway. The Louth bird is more likely to be one of two or three birds which seem to winter on the coast from Northern Ireland to Wexford the last few years.
On a different note Galway has now become one of the top winter spots for birding and in particular gull watching in Ireland and the UK. Nimmos is famous across the UK and Europe for white winged gulls and in particular the most regular spot for American Herring Gull. For anyone who hasn't been it really is a unique location.Where else would you get Ring Billed, Iceland, Glaucous, AHG etc etc standing together just yards from you.

All the best

Derek

Thanks for that Derek.

p.s .You can call me Philip, if I can call you Charlie.

The snowy owl was still present, perched on a rock, between 5pm & 5.30pm when it flew down to the west. Sounds like you had good views Tom. Was it approachable? I was wary of approaching it as was eyeing me up from a considerable distance. As you say, a great bird.
Also red grouse heard calling.

Troakie

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back