• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What birds can I expect to see in the Kakamega Forest, Kenya (1 Viewer)

timsg80

Gregor Tims
I am very keen on visiting the Kakamega Forest in Kenya next year. What species can I expect to see? Would anyone recommend a guide? How many days do you need there?

Any help would be great

Greg

I remember seeing quite a few turacos, barbets, greenbuls and hornbills when I was there. I went with an Elderhostel Group so do not know about the various guides. I think we were there for two or three days.

Greg

I've never been but perhaps the most important bird to see is Turner's Eremomela, the best world site for what is a "near endemic". Have a good time!

cheers, alan

Base yourself at Rondo retreat as you are then effectively in the forest. As it takes almost a day to reach Kakamega by road from Baringo, Nakuru, the Mara or Nairobi you should aim to spend a minimum of three nights which will give two full days birding. I would definitely recommend a guide as local knowledge of some of the forest tracts is a prerequisite for a good haul in a short period of time.

The list of what you can see is too long for me to include here but some of the more outstanding birds include:Turner's Eremomela, Jamieson's and Yellow-bellied Wattle-eyes, Shrike Flycatcher, Fairy Blue Flycatcher, Bar-tailed Trogon, Great Blue Turaco, Black-billed Turaco, Black & White Casqued Hornbill, Blue-headed Bee-eater, various barbets (including Yellow-billed, Hairy breasted, Grey-throated and Double-toothed), an assortment of Greenbuls and numerous other quality supporting cast. Here is a gallery of some of the bird images I took at Kakamega (I still have a number of images to add): http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/sets/72157627846502910/

I can thoroughly recommend Ben Obanda as a local guide.

Kakamega Forest is fantastic. The others have summed up what sort of stuff you can expect there. I would say a local guide is a must as there are very specific places you need to go for certain birds. Enjoy!

Hi Gregor,
As I am following your current thread of your between school and university list, I was pleased to see that you finally made it to visiting Kakamega, at the end of August / early September of this year and have seen that you spent 4 nights at the Rhondo retreat.
Please could you tell me if you used a local guide, as advised above and, if so, who you used / would recommend there.
Did you feel that this was the right amount of time to spend there?
Do you feel that it should be combined with another part of Kenya, to visit? I believe that you only visited there and spent a little time around Nairobi, too?
I believe that you flew to Kasumi. Was it easy to get to Rhondo retreat lodge from there ?
Look forward to hearing your advice.
Best wishes, Carol and Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back