• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help for Bay Area, Shoreline (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
This time I don't have a photo, only a visual memory, and even if you can steer me even weakly in the good direction, it's helpful as it narrows the search. Let me phrase it as a riddle just for fun:

What's a bird that has the head colors of a white-crowned sparrow, the beak and size of a northern flicker, and flies like a miniature duck?

By the "fly like a miniature duck", I mean with the body immobile in a perfect horizontal ellypse, head pointed forward, and the wings beating at high speed... I don't know how to put it, but definitely not the flight of a sparrow.

What could it be?

Where in the bay was this? The species vary a lot depending where you are. I would suggest turnstone as well, but where you are makes a big difference.

What was the habitat? I'm also leaning towards a sandpiper or maybe a hooded merganser, but I might throw out a Hairy or Downy woodpecker as a slim possibility. (Not as good a match for flight posture / wingbeat pattern though.)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back