• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 more from Tortuguero Costa Rica Mar 15 (1 Viewer)

sbradfield

1. Rufous Mourner?
2. No idea! Some sort of Warbler or Vireo
3. and 4. (same bird) Swainson's Hawk?

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• IMG_5204web_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5204web_edited-1.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5336web.jpg
    IMG_5336web.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5570web.jpg
    IMG_5570web.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5573web.jpg
    IMG_5573web.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 44
Thanks both. I can see where you are coming from on Summer Tanager with the bill size/colour. It's not a bird I have seen before but compared to photos and guides I've seen the plumage does not look Red enough for male but too rufous brown for a female? Is this a first winter bird?

Good lord, that bird #2 looks "roughed up"! But now, have to agree that Chesnut-sided is right, should have known that one.

Re: the tanager - I think the answer to the colour issue is, that they are not always as bright as they are depicted in the plates. Frankly, in my experience, male Summer is usually a kind of dull bird.

I doubt that it is anything to do with age, though; I think this is an "adult" (a.k.a. after second-year) bird. Most "young" (second-year) males have some retained yellow first-basic plumage at this time of year; often, quite a lot of it, giving them an interesting "motely" plumage, like an avian court jester.

Peter

For #2, note the large white tail spots -- vireos lack such, as do quite a few species of warblers and most other passerines. Underside tail pattern is VERY useful in parulid ID.

Thanks all for comments. The C-S Warbler certainly appears to have been in the wars. There were a lot of pristine individuals of this species of this species around when we were there.

Agree Motmot, looking at CR field guide Short-tailed Hawk looks right.

I've also posted the first bird on a facebook id group. Opinion there was that it is a Rufous Piha so am bumping the thread for further thoughts on this one.

Cheers
Simon

Looking closely at the image in #1, I can see maybe see a bit of a hooked bill there (supporting Piha over tanager). But what about the bill colour? All the illustrations I've seen show a dusky tip.
I saw a Rufous Piha - just once - and thought it looked more brown than rufous. But my sighting was in the shade, under the canopy, whereas this one seems to be in a brighter situation, so that may explain why I perceive it as a sort of dull red.

I'm struggling to convince myself either way! Whilst totally agreeing that colours can look very different in different lights I have not been able to come up with an image of Summer Tanager on the internet that comes close to this in terms of "brownness". Neither can I find a Piha with such a chunky bill. Here is another photo of the same bird - not sure it adds anything though.

Attachments

• IMG_5217web.jpg
    IMG_5217web.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 50
I'm struggling to convince myself either way! Whilst totally agreeing that colours can look very different in different lights I have not been able to come up with an image of Summer Tanager on the internet that comes close to this in terms of "brownness". Neither can I find a Piha with such a chunky bill. Here is another photo of the same bird - not sure it adds anything though.

It does. This image looks good for a Piha, and looking closely at the nostril position, almost half way to the tip, it indicates it is not a summer tanager. Well done not giving this away!:t:
Primary projection looks short for a summer tanager too.

Agree with the wood-warbler and hawk. The first bird is interesting- Rufous Piha for me. In my experience, the bill can look sort of chunky like this. It has the right coloration given certain lighting and lacks the longer primaries that would be shown by a Summer tanager. Not to mention, bill of the tanager would look even larger, would be more red. A good mystery shot!

Thanks everyone. Didn't want to make it too easy :t:

No doubt as I continue to go through the photos I'll have a few more puzzles for you!

Cheers

Not to go off the subject too much but did you all know that the Summer Tanager is no longer considered to be in the Tanager Family but in the Cardinal Family? As per Wikipedia.

I saw this when googling images of Summer Tanager, presumably will be renamed Summer Cardinal at some point..

I've also posted the first bird on a facebook id group. Opinion there was that it is a Rufous Piha so am bumping the thread for further thoughts on this one.

Cheers
Simon

Indeed, Piranga "tanagers" do not have such long nasal bristles and DO have a notched beak that the photographed bird does NOT sport.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back