• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdguides new system (1 Viewer)

Still no reply to either email sent (one on Thursday, one on Friday). Tried a different browser (Firefox instead of Vivaldi) to change password - still no luck.

Well, I suppose I should add my comments - don't like the new format, wasn't asked for input & did not see a need to change the old system!

I like the new Android app as the gallery has gone and there are notifications in Android (although currently you have to setup sending a email to yourself for each bird you want a notification about so you get both). They are going to improve this implementation shortly apparently.

I agree the news of the website is very hard to read from a mobile phone without using the app.

From their website for those that cant see it:-
SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Saturday 22 July 2017

We are aware of the problems with our service at the moment and currently have our technical team working on a fix. Please accept our apologies for the disruption to your service, but we aim to have this resolved as quickly as possible.

Please follow this link for more information as well as a guide to assist you in activating your account ... https://www.birdguides.com/information/important-customer-information
Search

I'm a new RBA app subscriber as of an hour ago.....
Got a reply via twitter apologising for lack of contact. I'd emailed Birdguides following links on the pages I was trying to change password on, but it appears that neither of these were the email addresses I should've used. Sounds like there's a bit of a back-log that they are working through, which is what I thought was likely the case. Frustratingly, I have potentially missed out on a Hoopoe (lifer for me) today that I might've managed to persuade my pal to go for (Scottish tick for her) had I known about it last night/this morning, but which I will now need it to stay another day or two (know where it is now from RBA app).

Bird news is all about the apps for me, and much less so the websites.

I defected to the RBA app from Birdguides for the cleaner, succinct iOS notifications, which are so on point I can go days or even weeks without even needing/wanting to leave the lock screen or go further in-app, never mind on the website.

The look of the old Birdguides app made it feel like a relict of the iOS5/6 eras, whereas the new version looks and feels iOS11 ready. I like it! If the notifications are as uncluttered and clear as RBA, I'll be switching back from the 'dark side' (��) when my current RBA subscription ends.

I'm not that bothered about the new design, for me the most useful feature with the old App was getting push notifications you can set as I dont want to be checking the site all the time.. So far I can't work out if this is still the case, there is no mention of such a vital feature. . If not then I'm afraid it's off to RBA.

I'm not that bothered about the new design, for me the most useful feature with the old App was getting push notifications you can set as I dont want to be checking the site all the time.. So far I can't work out if this is still the case, there is no mention of such a vital feature. . If not then I'm afraid it's off to RBA.

On the iOS app when first installed, there is an app request for the user to authorise notifications. Haven't received any yet though, so presumably not functional as yet.

On the iOS app when first installed, there is an app request for the user to authorise notifications. Haven't received any yet though, so presumably not functional as yet.

Afraid this texts/emails/push notifications is just not clearly explained at all. How do you just get push notifications and not texts.

I've asked on Twitter about IOS app notifications and they say you have to set them up on the website as email alerts and then they should come through as notifications. The problem is that you have to duplicate all your filter settings to get the same notifications and also receive them to email whether you want that or not. Also, on the old system you could have several different filters set up on your app and then switch them on or off depending on where you were - that doesn't look possible now.

This is a massive step backwards. I hope they sort it, but why get in this mess in the first place?

I've asked on Twitter about IOS app notifications and they say you have to set them up on the website as email alerts and then they should come through as notifications. The problem is that you have to duplicate all your filter settings to get the same notifications and also receive them to email whether you want that or not. Also, on the old system you could have several different filters set up on your app and then switch them on or off depending on where you were - that doesn't look possible now.

This is a massive step backwards. I hope they sort it, but why get in this mess in the first place?

Ugh! A complete deal breaker for me.

So there seems no way now to get push notifications without them all being duplicated as emails.

Last edited:
I can't really complain as I only use the free version on my home PC but that is now pretty much useless as you can only see the county of a sighting rather than the site.

As for the new layout, really appalling. It might work on a phone, it doesn't on a PC.

Rich M

.....It would appear that Birdguides is currently undergoing a "glitch" to services...not unlke HMS Queen Elizabeth which is also undergoing "trials" at sea. I'm sure all will be resolved when things are "ironed out", in the "mean" time (for all those that don't like paying...self included ;) ) keep off the screens..and on yer bikes! Regarding, "Only the County mentioned", with no town/village given to non-subscribers...It makes commercial sense, after all if one seeks "advantageous" information one should be prepared to pay for it?

If one genuinely can't afford to subscribe (but can fill up the jam jar with fuel circa £60 worth :eek!:) for a "no prisoners" day out, then the subscription is a small price to pay. However if you have deep pockets and short arms (like me), you can elect to ask the cheque book birders on BF..."piously" if they can shed any light on the exact whereabouts of the Siberian Rubythroat being currently reported in Avon, always remembering to "touch fore-lock" when going down on bended knee, and hope that someone will take pity on you...and send you in the wrong direction. :-O

PS...that was two beers you promised Birdguides Admin. wasn't it? ;)

If one genuinely can't afford to subscribe (but can fill up the jam jar with fuel circa £60 worth :eek!:) for a "no prisoners" day out, then the subscription is a small price to pay. However if you have deep pockets and short arms (like me), you can elect to ask the cheque book birders on BF..."piously" if they can shed any light on the exact whereabouts of the Siberian Rubythroat being currently reported in Avon, always remembering to "touch fore-lock" when going down on bended knee, and hope that someone will take pity on you...and send you in the wrong direction.

Unfortunately none of the bird 'information services' seem capable of actually allocating records to the correct local recording area, they all use either Somerset and Bristol, or Glos for birds that are in neither county.

I'm not sure why, it can't be that hard.

Rich M

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back