• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (3 Viewers)

Hi Stew
The only two Coenagrion species recorded from the Balearics are: Coenagrion caerulescens (Fonscolombe 1838) and Coenagrium scitulum [the last was determined from larvae by one of our TAIB team]. The first is only recorded from Menorca but the second is from both Mallorca and Menorca, as new records (by García-Aviles, J., Puig, Mariàngels, Soler, A. & Ferreras-Romero, M. 1995. Odonatologica 24(3) : 269-282). Clearly neither are your specimens.
I'll now show my ignorance of all things odonatalogical, isn't it I. elegans?
Martin

Aaagghh! Of course - thank you Martin! (I feel a little ashamed I must confess, thanks for being so diplomatic).

Stew

Hi Stew
The only two Coenagrion species recorded from the Balearics are: Coenagrion scaerulescens (Fonscolombe 1838) and Coenagrium scitulum [the last was determined from larvae by one of our TAIB team]. The first is only recorded from Menorca but the second is from both Mallorca and Menorca, as new records (by García-Aviles, J., Puig, Mariàngels, Soler, A. & Ferreras-Romero, M. 1995. Odonatologica 24(3) : 269-282). Clearly neither are your specimens.
I'll now show my ignorance of all things odonatalogical, isn't it I. elegans?
Martin

Hello, yes it is Ischnura elegans

A Gull-billed tern has been seen at s’Albufera and was found by Maties breaking the long drought of migrants.
This species has become more frequent in recent years, I saw quite a few at the salt pans earlier this year so I hope there will be more to come over the following weeks, Mike

A couple of hours spent at Cap de Ses Salines this morning was way too early for any raptor migration but two Eleanora’s falcons were a nice surprise.
Later tonight, a lovely walk around the salt pans, Salobrar de Campos, was delightful with a large flock of Flamingoes in flight looking resplendent in the evening light. Three Glossy Ibis was a good number for this site. A Gull-billed tern was the last bird seen tonight.
Lots of breeding Black-winged stilts with young, they seemed to be everywhere, large numbers of dazzling Avocets and at least eight Marsh Harrier, mostly young birds. Mike

Hello, spending a little more than a week at mallorca this year as well, I have a few questions I would really like to have some help regarding.

How do I maximize my chanses to see the following, is it even possible?
- Dartford Warbler @ Son Real
- Spectacled Warbler @ Cuber
- Little Bittern @ S'albufera

And last but not least, what is the "summer status" of warblers like Western Orphean and Western Bonelli's? Are they here and possible to find?

Thank you so much!

Hi Yens. I will help as much as I am able and I hope others contribute too.
Dartford Warbler can be seen at Son Real, they used to be in an area which suffered a fire some years ago. I think it was marked on a map somewhere. I will try to find it. I don’t know anyone who has seen a Dartford Warbler at Son Real this year so if they have, I hope they can confirm. They are very scarce.
There have been reports of Spectacled Warbler at Cuber but there are some people who doubt these records, thinking they are Moltoni’s warblers. I’m not sure, I have only seen Spectacled Warbler once at Cuber, down a path at the back of the reservoir past the refuge hut many years ago. There were photographs so I know the record was genuine. The best place to see them is at Puig de Teix but that is a real slog in this heat.
Little Bittern will be so much easier! They breed at Albufera in good numbers. One good place is near the mound. Hang around this area near a pool at the base and they should fly by. Another good location is near the bridge by the corner going to Es Cibollar. People on site can help. I will look up the name of the bridge, it’s on the way to the hides.
The other two warblers you mention, Bonelli’s and Orphean, are passage migrants and therefore near impossible to see in summer.
I hope this helps and that you have a great time. Let us know what you see. Mike

That is truly amazing. Thank you SO much. I've been here a few days, but will intensify my birding the last mornings I'm here. :)

It will be an early morning in Son Real or Albufera tomorrow. But I'm not sure about the two "Bittern spots"? The bridge, is it over the small or big canal? And where is the mound? Thanks again! :)

Hi Yens. The bridge I’m referring to is on the way to the hides Es Cibollar 1 and 2. Pont de Sa Roca. The Little Bittern is best seen in the corners of the bridge in the reeds. If there are people on site you can just ask if there have been any sightings, there usually have been.
The mound is a raised mound of earth with some steps up to the top. It looks over Sa Roca. If you walk towards the hide but keep going, you will come to a small bridge which you cross. The mound is not far along there. Great Reed warblers singfrom there too so it’s a good spot to stop for a while.
Good luck. I am in the area myself tomorrow so may bump into each other although I’m not sure which reserve we will be going to yet. Mike

A great day out up north for my now annual meet with Ian from Aberdeen.
Starting at Albufereta, Phil was already there and had seen two Whimbrel.
There were many Purple Heron, four Water rail, Osprey, Purple swamp hen and a good movement of hirundines and both Pallid and Common Swift. Later, two Spoonbill dropped in.
On the road to the depuradora, five Bee-eaters were seen on wires, more were heard.
At the depuradora a strong stomach was required to put up with the stench, it was truly eye-watering. Common and Green sandpiper, 8 Glossy Ibis, 6 Hoopoe, Common tern with young, Marsh Harrier and Yellow wagtail.
At Maristany, a Great crested Grebe was seen with two young, a very rare breeder in Mallorca.
Really enjoyable Ian and it’s great to share memories of my days spent birding in Scotland. I very much hope you will be back next year. Mike

Thanks for yesterday Mike.Great birding ln great company,makes for a fantastic day.One day,l hope to return the favour ln Scotland.Take Care my Mallorcan Amigo.
There were 2 Avocet ln the stream that runs through Albufereta this morning.

La Gola Birdlist

Hello!
Here you have the updated birdlist of la Gola.
https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-listado-de-aves-llistat-d-aus/

This morning there was a juvenile Zitting Cisticole near the Bird Centre.

In case it could be interesting for anyone, if you are in the surroundings of Port de SÓLLER, last nights I have heard one Scops Owl calling from the Jumeirah Hotel, quite sure from the big pinetrees inside the hotel or the ones just next to it. Also there is at least one BarnOwl over there and a Stone Curlew heard in the fields near Camí de sa Figuera. Two nights ago one Common Sandpiper calling from the coast.

Regards,
Cristina.

Hi Kevin, thanks for the news.
It would be nice to find a reliable Scops owl site near Pollensa for visiting birders having lost the old site. Apparently the hotel owners blocked up the previous perch, whether intentionally or not, I don’t know.
I am meeting Phil at the depuradora this Friday at 8.30 am and we will go to the reserve at some point later. If you are around it would be good to see you. Phil and I have run out of jokes.
Mike

Hi Kevin, thanks for the news.
It would be nice to find a reliable Scops owl site near Pollensa for visiting birders having lost the old site. Apparently the hotel owners blocked up the previous perch, whether intentionally or not, I don’t know.

Hello, during the second half of April and the whole of May I kept hearing a Scops owl singing in Pollença from the high Araucaria trees near the petrol station, just about 100 meters from home. After May it has been silent except one evening in June, when I heard (another?) one about 300m away. Nothing since then.

Also at the end of April-beginning of May, I heard another one in Cala Sant Vicenç, very close to the church.

If anyone hears them or any others, it would be good to post it here.

Regards

Nightjars calling near Arta last night and Scops owl calling near the church

Thanks Kevin, you have just help me explain one of my mysteries, one of the strange sounds down the valley near my house at night. I thought it was some type of frog until I searched a Nightjar call, ha ha, riddle solved.

June unidentifieds

Hi Guys, have just been enjoying reading through all the posts of the last months I missed and especially enjoying the posted photos.
On the subject of Scops owls, I have a regular at my place that but has been so far impossible to see him, when I try to sneek outside he immediately stops, quite comical.

Attached are 4 photos from June7July that I have yet to identify. First were two raptors playing or hunting together, one was a booted Eagle but not sure on the smaller one. The next two photos are of small Warblerish birds I am struggling with. And the last is not a very good photo but again another that I am scratching my head over. Would appreciate some of your wisdom.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• Maybe booted eagle and Kestrel (1).jpg
    Maybe booted eagle and Kestrel (1).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Chiffchaff or Warbler.jpg
    Chiffchaff or Warbler.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 98
  • No Se Warbler.jpg
    No Se Warbler.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Maybe some type of Thrush.jpg
    Maybe some type of Thrush.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back