• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat or bird - Calakmul, Mexico (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello all,
unfortunately no photo. I was outside in early light in the grounds of Rio Bec Dreams, inside the biosphere Calakmul area of Campeche, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico. I saw this large animal come flying towards me with rather slow wingbeats, fly up between the wall and the outhanging straw of the roof, and come down again. It was the place it flew that made me think bat, but the wing beats made me think bird. I did not see any markings on the wings at all, but the back was brown or reddish brown. When it was flying towards the house, it was at no time more than 3-4 feet above ground, so I was looking at the upperside the entire time.

Any ideas anyone??

Niels

Thank you Aiden, this animal was clearly much bigger with slower wing beats than the Palmswifts (I have also seen them in DR).

Niels

Thanks Andy,
I had expected some type of white markings on an owl. My guess was some type of nightjar, but again, most of them has white markings on the wings which I did not see.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back