• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ciel 401 detector (1 Viewer)

Hi,
Looks quite interesting. How long a TE sequence can it record (automatically?) and at what sampling? Does it have a prerecording buffer?

Regards
Harry J

I think it records up to 30 seconds, and in box mode for remote recording, it would start another file if the trigger was still present.
The sampling rate is 30khz/300khz if I'm reading it right.
No buffer though

The manual goes into a lot of detail and can be downloaded from The bat planet website

Looks like Ciel have gone out of business? Can't find any reference to their products on the web.
A shame if so, as their models were affordable, with a good spec.

I still have the Ciel 401 mentioned in this thread, and it is still a good performer. Gives me clear sonograms, and the remote mode works well.

Worryingly, I don't see any obvious replacements out there from other companies in the same price range.

Anyone got any ideas for ~£400 Time Expansion (or whatever the latest equivalent is!) & Heterodyne hand-held detector, with good remote recording function, built in SD card etc. ?

Last edited:
Looks like Ciel have gone out of business? Can't find any reference to their products on the web.
A shame if so, as their models were affordable, with a good spec.

I still have the Ciel 401 mentioned in this thread, and it is still a good performer. Gives me clear sonograms, and the remote mode works well.

This is sad news. I see this sentence on the site of "Barre Ultraschall":
Die Firma EAM-Walter ist - sehr zu unserem großen Bedauern - durch den plötzlichen Tod von Frank Walter geschlossen worden. Mit seinem Tod verlieren wir viel Fachwissen.

Google Translation:
The company EAM-Walter has been closed - much to our great regret - by the sudden death of Frank Walter. With his death, we lose a lot of expertise.

In 9/2016 there was an article in a local German newspaper on Frank Walter and his bat detector company. It is unclear if the large photo shows Mr Walter. From the context it seems likely. The article says the top model costs Euro 359. This must be your Ciel 401. Not available anymore, in an Amazon ad it is called PHOENIX - CDB401 R4.

I've bought the "Ciel Micro Trio" in 2014 and had lots of fun with it. The first of Ciel's detectors with Time Expansion. It still works flawlessly, generates sharp TE recordings. Even using an external audio recorder was acceptable. But I missed a good automatic/remote mode. - I can't find the manual of the 401 in the web, but see these details in its old Amazon ad (Google translated):
The remote mode provides you with all available detector modes from manual mode (dual HD / FD, time expansion) as well as recording as real-time data for selection. The start and length of the recordings are controlled as accurately as possible by analyzing the incoming signals. You also have the option to set the sensitivity of the power-on triggers, recording time, delay time, etc. Likewise, a timed mode is available. The detector turns on at a specified time, disables its work, and goes into DeepSleep mode. The power consumption is reduced from ~ 30mA in standby mode to ~ 0.3mA. The time mode is executed automatically for each day.

Very impressive list, I'd be happy with such a remote mode, and no external recorder. Alternative options for Euro 350 are the Echo Meter Touch Pro 2 or the Pettersson M500, but both require a handy or tablet.

Stefan (alias Hermitibis)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back