• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Similar quality to 10X42 Swaro.? (1 Viewer)

I have 14 binoculars including 3 SV's and I am not saying the Habicht's are the best for everybody but I think a lot of people don't try them because of some of the issues with them. They may not work for everybody but I am just saying give them a try.;)

It's kind of getting out of hand isn't it? Again.....
Chuck. i think we all kind of defend the binocular we like or own to a certain extent. I have heard many, many times from you how much you like your 8x32 SV's and how much you dislike the Habicht's. It is just personal preference really in the end isn't. They are all good binoculars really. We all have different tastes.

Problem is Dennis, you sing the praises of your current binos as "being the best ever", no matter what you have at the time. When you recycle those on Ebay, whatever you wind up with is the new "best ever". Glad you like your equipment, but you need to give it a rest. The SLC HD's are fabulous binos, period.
I think we are all guilty of pushing the binocular we own or like to a certain extent including you. I do not recycle binoculars on Ebay. I did not say anything critical about the SLC HD's. I don't know where that came from. I think they are great binoculars.

Last edited:
Yea Dennis, I agree that Canon could have done a lot better with the eyecups. But, it's the view that can't be beat for long distance viewing by hand. I've accepted that the eyecups suck and they don't bother me one bit. (I take my glasses off and roll down the eyecups. They need to be rolled down to get the full view. A little work but it's worth it.)
It's kind of like going bald. When it started falling out I tried the Rogaine until I realized that was snake oil (and growing hair on my palms). Once I accepted being bald it quit bothering me and now wouldn't go back to hair.
I just shave my head every day. That way I don't have to worry bout it.

I tried the New Canon 12x32 and 14x32 IS and I absolutely hated them. The eye relief was way too long for the eye cups for me. I kind of feel that is why they cut the price by 1/2. Just saying.

As long as the superior 10x42ISL is available for around $1300, why would anyone pay more for the less capable 12x32 or 14x32?
That said, agree that Canon ergonomics take some getting used to. Still, as long as the end result is a superior view, I'll cut them some slack.

As long as the superior 10x42ISL is available for around $1300, why would anyone pay more for the less capable 12x32 or 14x32?
That said, agree that Canon ergonomics take some getting used to. Still, as long as the end result is a superior view, I'll cut them some slack.

I thought the lens based IS of the x32 models was superior to the prism based IS of the older model? The increased mag is another reason why some might prefer the 14x32 over the 10x42.

Sometimes more power is more better. I'll take all I can get.

Attachments

• IMG_6715 small.jpeg
    IMG_6715 small.jpeg
    717.7 KB · Views: 161
  • NASA U2 small.jpg
    NASA U2 small.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Blue Angels.jpg
    Blue Angels.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 168
I thought the lens based IS of the x32 models was superior to the prism based IS of the older model? The increased mag is another reason why some might prefer the 14x32 over the 10x42.

There have surely been improvements in IS technology since the launch of the Canon 10x42 ISL. However, sales have been too sluggish to justify upgrading this aging flagship. I bought a new one last year, because my old one was fading after a decade of faithful service. Technically identical afaik.

Obviously, I'd love to see a modernized 10x or 12x42, or an L version 10x32, with all the best of Canon's current technology. I'd happily pay whatever extortionate price was demanded, recognizing that Swaro gives Canon tremendous headroom to hike prices, albeit with a service discount.

^Seconded.

I'd happily pay what Canon asks for an even better version of the 10x42 L IS, or a 10x50 or a 10x56 or whatever. However, the IS functioning as well as optical quality of my current L IS is already "good enough" for me, and further improvements while welcome are not essential. While waiting for the launch of their new flagship which never seems to come, I'm content testing all the competing "alphas" that come without IS, praising their optics where warranted, and personally giving them a pass.

Kimmo

Super Dave.

A Hornet's nest of U2s or TR2s?

What's the scope?

Regards,
B.

P.S.
Not sure they should be dispersed like that lined up in the open.

Last edited:
Hi, Right it's the ER-2, the civilian version of the U2.
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/aircraft/ER-2/index.html

They were out mapping the reefs and I think volcano a few years ago. Pretty sweet. The pilot climbs in with the same spacesuit as on the shuttle. The chase car spots the pilot for take off and landing since he can't see the ground. Some of my details could be slightly off since it's been a while but it's very impressive. Looks like a lot of local scientists were getting off on it.

The scope is the nice Kowa.

Later,
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back