• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peersonic detector (1 Viewer)

From my experience, you have to be careful with Bat Detectors that they perform how you need them to perform, e.g. live tuning for on the spot identification, and ability to record remotely and save to a sound recorder for later analysis, being my main requirements.

There are a lot of new models that do both these things, none of which I am too familiar with. (I have a Pettersson d230 which I have had for about 10 years now!)

But equally, you can spend a heck of a lot of money for very little gain. In the UK there are a bunch of species you can identify with the cheapest detector, and a whole bunch of (mainly the Myotis) species that you can't identify by bat detector alone. You can spend thousands on expensive bat detectors and still be in the same situation. So be careful of overspending would be my advice.

The built in recorder is surprising, I think, in this price range. I get the impression that it should work ok, but may not be as polished as some of the more expensive ones. I suspect you'd have trouble using it without the manual.

I've now had one of these recorders for about 6 weeks. It's mostly been sitting under cover in the back yard, running off a USB battery pack via its external power socket, and I've used it hand held several times. It's fairly basic, but seems to do a good job of recording bats. I'm thinking about ordering a waterproof enclosure for it (still under development) so I can leave it in the open overnight.

I'll post some recordings when I get time.

Sounds good.
Why not make your own enclosure...
http://bat-diaries.blogspot.com/2012/05/robo-bat-returns.html

It's not 100% waterproof, where the detector pokes out, although i could modify it to add a little roof over the hole, but it keeps the unit dry from condensation, and light rain.

I've been thinking of it. How do you stop water getting past the lid? I assume it's not designed to keep water out?

And how are you letting sound in?

What's the Sennheiser device near the key?

I've been wondering if a better approach is to get an external microphone. Then it's easier to seal up the recorder/detector, and if the mic gets wet I've only wrecked a mic.

Last edited:
Hi,
it's a metal money box, it's surprisingly tight at the lid. The contents are safe from light / medium rain. Water would probably come in through the lid join from below if the rain was forming puddles or bouncing, but that isn't a problem for me, as I'd never put it out if storms were forecast.

I drilled a hole in the side for the microphone to peep thru, and this would need more work with either a roof, or material that lets sound in, but not water.
At the time, my batteries only lasted overnight, so it was cheap and cheerful with that in mind. For longer duration, you'd need to be a bit more creative.

The Sennheiser is my headphones and case, can't remember why I left them connected.

Do you leave it sitting flat, or vertically? I would have thought verrtical would require a pretty good door seal, while flat could rely on the rain just running off.

Sealing the hole - I'm not sure how to do that. It would have to be very thin to allow ultrasound through, but I don't know how thin.

Peersonic info

Hi, I was sent the original 2016 question from a friend today, so joined up to reply.
The Peersonic equipment is full spectrum recording, it records as PCM (wav) files so nothing is lost from zero( sort of) to 192kHz.
It was originally designed to record bats. but the microphone comes in different flavours ( always ask), so can record birds if you like, just depends upon the spectrum you want in (or out) or your recording.
Apart from recording it gives Heterodyne and Frequency division audio monitoring, and concurrently shows the peak energy frequency of the sound at the instant as well as power band.
It can be set to record during specific time bands and has time stamp.
No GPS yet, that needs redesgn one day.
Max no of files 3000, any length from 5 secs to 4 mins.
Hope that answers all.
Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back