• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reasons not to buy Zeiss SF 8x42? (2 Viewers)

Temmie:

Was your comment about Zeiss existing in years derived from my post #44?

If so, my point was I don't sell my bins generally speaking and have bins that are decades old from new. Not that I keep them all but I like quality and generally keep such stuff ...:)

My comments about business would infer that Zeiss will indeed be there in the future.
Hi,

I had to re-read what exactly was said about the future of Zeiss.
Both you and the opening poster made it seem like you would hesitate to buy a binocular (in this case, the SF), because the company structure could change and the future products could veer towards lower quality... I wonder if you suggest that warranty / repair could be an issue in let's say 20 years, if Zeiss would only make low-cost (or outsource) binoculars? Do you feel they would e.g. not be able to cough up the necessary repair parts for the SF?

If that is the case, I don't think this would be an issue. 30 years is long for a company these days, but at the other hand, time flies quickly and top binoculars haven't changed dramatically over the years. Even if Zeiss doesn't make profits from binoculars, I foresee they will keep this part of their heritage as long as Zeiss exists.

Hi,

I had to re-read what exactly was said about the future of Zeiss.
Both you and the opening poster made it seem like you would hesitate to buy a binocular (in this case, the SF), because the company structure could change and the future products could veer towards lower quality... I wonder if you suggest that warranty / repair could be an issue in let's say 20 years, if Zeiss would only make low-cost (or outsource) binoculars? Do you feel they would e.g. not be able to cough up the necessary repair parts for the SF?

If that is the case, I don't think this would be an issue. 30 years is long for a company these days, but at the other hand, time flies quickly and top binoculars haven't changed dramatically over the years. Even if Zeiss doesn't make profits from binoculars, I foresee they will keep this part of their heritage as long as Zeiss exists.

Temmie:

I cannot speak for the OP.

Veer is a strong word, for example, what picture does a veering car create in my mind...too many Tequilas!

As I said changes in corporate make me wary. My anecdotal experience with Zeiss products via CS over the last couple years reinforces that wariness. The overall HT intro and the discontinuance of some products is not a net positive. Now, the question in my mind is whether these events are a trend or is it a wake up call for improvement that Zeiss will act on? Beats me, but it is my moolah on the line regarding a buying decision, today.

I have no stake in what the OP decides.

Also, I haven't a clue what will take place tomorrow exactly, let alone down the road 20 years from now. But in general, there seems to be a trend in replacement rather than repair in the optics industry--particularly on the low end. Because I tend to keep stuff forever or give it away, would like to get it repaired if needed and get the original back. Swaro currently appears stronger to me in that particular "culture" than anyone else.

fwiw...

I have a 8x42 Zeiss HT and have come to like them a lot. Main reason for selecting it was the bright view and I am sure the SF is very close and also with better FOV, I probably would have selected the SF if it was cheaper but I got a good price HT and that made it my choice. I have no experience with Swarowski but they for sure look nice, but I do not think you will be disappointed with the SF. Hope you find your dream bin!

Hi,
Both you and the opening poster made it seem like you would hesitate to buy a binocular (in this case, the SF), because the company structure could change and the future products could veer towards lower quality...

The hesitations I expressed in my opening post actually concerned the present rather than the future (I wasn't aware of the corporate changes that Huronbay refers to when I started the thread), but those worries have largely been laid to rest now. Rightly or wrongly, I do still have marginally more confidence in the Swarovski build quality, customer service and quality control, but this will only enter into consideration if I am unable to decide which binoculars I like best (which at the moment is still the case).

I have a 8x42 Zeiss HT and have come to like them a lot. Main reason for selecting it was the bright view and I am sure the SF is very close and also with better FOV, I probably would have selected the SF if it was cheaper but I got a good price HT and that made it my choice. I have no experience with Swarowski but they for sure look nice, but I do not think you will be disappointed with the SF. Hope you find your dream bin!

The HT seem to be very well regarded by those who have tried/owned some. If they were more readily available and hadn't been discontinued, they would definitely have made my shortlist.

Hi all, just a quick update. I made it to the optics store this weekend to try out the two models in question again and hopefully make my choice. It took me 5 hours (a big thumbs up for the sales person, who was fantastic!), but I got there in end! And my choice between the SV8.5 and SF was….neither! To my surprise, I came home with an SV 8x32! Now this did not come completely out of the blue, as when I first compared the two SV's and the SF some time ago, the 8x32 was the one that really stood out for me. In the following months, however, I perhaps began to over-think and over-research things, and convinced myself I'd be better off with an 8x42 (primarily for better low light ability). But when I compared all three models for a third time on Saturday (along with an SLC 8x42), I once again found that the smaller bins just put more of a smile on my face. They seem to fit my hands better and give me a more stable view than any other model I've tried. And despite it being a dull, overcast winter's day, I was surprised to find that I just could not detect a brightness difference in relation to the larger models (although I did when I tried them at dusk a few weeks ago). Last but not least, due to a January deal, they cost £500 less than the SF.

I would have struggled to choose between the SV8.5 and SF. I prefer the Swaro colours, but the limited time I’ve had with my SV8x32 has shown me just how much I value a wide FOV, and for this reason the SF would probably have been the better choice for me. I got quite caught up on the difference in colour balance when comparing the two models, but I’m not sure I would really be too bothered by these slight colour shifts if I were using one without comparing it to the other.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and suggestions in this thread, all of which were very helpful to me, even if ultimately I ended up going in a different direction.

Excellent choice! Unfortunately most 8x32 are for me (as a glass wearer) just that Tiny bit less comfortable to put them immediately right compared to 8x42 or 7x42. I need the eye relief and ease of view. I probably wouldn’t feel that difference if I wouldn’t wear glasses. In that case, I would probably also choose a 8x32 and the SV is the best in that category, in my opinion.

Congrats on your excellent choice, ergonomically they are IMO unrivalled.

I`v been following this thread with interest, I`m just back from a week in North Norfolk where I got to spend some more time with an 8x42 SF, I`v decided I have to have one in my life, just got to decide whether to sell or keep the 8.5 SV, I felt I could keep the SF up to my eyes all day, its this comfort that has sold me on getting one.

When birding with groups, the 8x32 SV is probably the most popular high end model I see; it is an ergonomic and optical beast. It would probably still be the binocular I owned if not for what I felt was excessive glare.

Justin

Hi all, just a quick update. I made it to the optics store this weekend to try out the two models in question again and hopefully make my choice. It took me 5 hours (a big thumbs up for the sales person, who was fantastic!), but I got there in end! And my choice between the SV8.5 and SF was….neither! To my surprise, I came home with an SV 8x32! Now this did not come completely out of the blue, as when I first compared the two SV's and the SF some time ago, the 8x32 was the one that really stood out for me. In the following months, however, I perhaps began to over-think and over-research things, and convinced myself I'd be better off with an 8x42 (primarily for better low light ability). But when I compared all three models for a third time on Saturday (along with an SLC 8x42), I once again found that the smaller bins just put more of a smile on my face. They seem to fit my hands better and give me a more stable view than any other model I've tried. And despite it being a dull, overcast winter's day, I was surprised to find that I just could not detect a brightness difference in relation to the larger models (although I did when I tried them at dusk a few weeks ago). Last but not least, due to a January deal, they cost £500 less than the SF......

Good choice :t:

It seems you've pretty much followed my reasoning to a T :)

If the choice is that close, go with the one that you can hold the steadiest over a long period of time (the influence of shakes is likely to outweigh any optical differences), and shows you the most detail /pleasing view.

Which one do you like looking through the most?
Which one has the best fit to your eyes/face and is the easiest view for you?

As you say there are the colour cast differences and these are valid considerations. Which one shows a better view of what you look at most/would like to look at?

Subconsciously you will have a preference for one view/feel over the other ....... if you spotted a fleeting glimpse of a disappearing bird of a lifetime with the naked eye, and both binoculars were laying equidistant on a table - which one would you grab?

Go with that one. :t:

Going through such a logical well thought out process, I am sure you've arrived at the right decision and can be very comfortable with that. Congrats, and just go and enjoy :t:

Chosun :gh:

Temmie - I think the 8x32SV has most of the qualities you rightly identified in the SF, except maybe for the faster focus. I completely share your point of view now on the importance of FOV in a birding binocular, and in retrospect I think I would have found the FOV of the SV8.5 too narrow.

Torview - I read your posts and reviews of the two SV's when doing my research and found them very helpful. I look forward to reading your thoughts on the SF when you get one. I found the balance and handling of the SF just fantastic, but I prefer the more compact size of the SV8x32.

Jremmons - the sales person told me that the SV 8x32 is now by far their best selling high end model, although I have yet to see many in the field.

Chosun - yes, that was really helpful advice and I kept it in mind when trying them out. I picked the model that ticked all of those boxes.

I'd be shocked to learn that any 32 mm model was a best seller. From what we hear from Jan and what we see from sales data, the 32's lag way behind the 42's. And, if that's changing, even more incomprehensible that Zeiss still doesn't have a top-tier 32 mm in their line-up.

James Holdsworth, post 73,
If I remember well, the 8x32 FL is still produced and many users love it when you read the comments on BF, so what is the need for another 8x32 if there is a top quality one???????
Gijs van Ginkel

James Holdsworth, post 73,
If I remember well, the 8x32 FL is still produced and many users love it when you read the comments on BF, so what is the need for another 8x32 if there is a top quality one???????
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs,
Yes FL 32mm is still available I guess until SF 32 is released. I do hope Zeiss still makes FL available along with SF 32, but they probably won't. Agree FL is still a top 32 bino. Some in the forum (not James) have stated the FL is a "dinosaur" at this point while others have said FL reached the pinnacle of optics Performance and after it there hasn't been any real improvements. I tend to skew my opinion towards the latter view and I'm baffled by the notion of it not being considered a top tier binocular anymore. FL may have been ahead of its time with impressive correction of CA and poly/fiberglass body with very compact dimension . It's still very compact by today's standards and CA correction still the best it seems. In this area it hasn't been passed by. Also, it's still a very bright binocular for 32 class.

Last edited:
And my choice between the SV8.5 and SF was….neither! To my surprise, I came home with an SV 8x32! Now this did not come completely out of the blue, as when I first compared the two SV's and the SF some time ago, the 8x32 was the one that really stood out for me.

Congrats! The SV 8X32 is hard to beat.

Good point, but since the FL has been gone for how many years,
in the larger sizes, they must be making them again.

Jerry

Yes, the one I had briefly last year was a 2017 production model. I called Zeiss and had them reference the serial#. Also, the Zeiss rep confirmed for me the coatings are still updated over time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back