• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Bat call ID (1 Viewer)

jjones

Hi,

I am based in Ireland and I have recorded bat calls within a roof void which I am finding difficult to ID.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

bat call 1.jpg

bat call 2.jpg

bat call 3.jpg

bat call 4.jpg

bat call 5.jpg

Hi, I'm not familiar with the Detector / output generated, and the dots kind of confuse me (cos you can join them to make just about any shape in some cases!), but the first two, I would say are Myotis species, strong vertical sweeps, quite rapid, more than 10 a second.
So, either Whiskered, Natterer's or Daubenten's, in that order of likelihood I'm guessing.

3 and 4, no idea.

The last one, I could make out a backwards "J" shaped call with a peak in the mid-30's which could be a Nathusius' running along the top of the spectogram, but again, I'm guessing.

Thanks Peter. I used an Anabat express detector and mostly used AnalookW to look at the files, as well as Anabat Insight.

I thought Myotis for the first two as well. I also had Leisler's calls in the same roof space, but I am unsure of what species the calls 3,4,5 belong too.

yes, 4 is likely a Leisler's. I didn't realise how low 4 went (down to mid-20's). I don't think you get Serotine or Noctule, which makes that one easier at least.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back