• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Godwit, E. Ireland (1 Viewer)

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Taken on July 2.

From Collins, I reckoned it to be an adult Black-Tailed, and from the richness and extent of the red, possibly Islandica. I don't know which of the races would be most common in Ireland during the summer and would welcome any thoughts.

thanks

Andrew

Attachments

• godwit.jpg
    godwit.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 235
Hi there,
Yes, Black-tailed. Anything other than Islandica would I think be a rarity in Ireland.

This is correct. Just to clarify how much of a rarity, suffice it to say that, as things stand, there are just two accepted records of nominate limosa for the entire island of Ireland, both of which exist as specimens and were identified to taxon based on measurements alone. The measurements depend on the birds having been sexed correctly, of course, due to some overlap between male limosa and female islandica (females having, for example, longer bills in all godwits), and these birds are due a review.
There is also a pending claim of one in the White's Marsh area near Clonakilty, Co. Cork during April 2017. Some images of this bird can be seen online at http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/we...ed_Godwit.html (plus there are further images from later dates). I stress that this is pending, it hasn't been accepted as limosa yet.
For completeness' sake, there are, of course, no accepted records (or claims, that I am aware of) of the east Asian melanuroides for Ireland, and, unless I am mistaken, there are no accepted records of this taxon for anywhere in the Western Palearctic as yet?
Regards,
Harry

Thank you for that Harry.
So if I have this right, Godwits that actually breed in Europe (except Iceland) are Limosa, whereas those in Ireland are Islandica in winter, with a few non-breeding Islandica stayovers in summer.

Thank you for that Harry.
So if I have this right, Godwits that actually breed in Europe (except Iceland) are Limosa, whereas those in Ireland are Islandica in winter, with a few non-breeding Islandica stayovers in summer.
Yes, except that both breed in Britain in very small numbers - a handful of limosa in southeast England, and a handful of islandica in northern Scotland. Not sure if a few islandica might also be breeding in northwestern Norway? :t:

A very small few islandica occasionally breed in Ireland also, though there's no actual population to speak of.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back