• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nature's wonders. (1 Viewer)

Bridie

"There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow...."

Skies, clouds, sunsets to me are one of nature's wonders. From reading the thread "View from your kitchen window" it seems that some of you are also of this opinion.

I bet others of you have examples of different "wonders" you could share with us, to brighten up a damp winter's day.

Bridie

p.s. First photo is Kippford, Dumfries and Galloway, 2nd and 4th Cromarty Firth and the third is Fortrose lighthouse, near Inverness.

Attachments

• pink clouds.jpg
    pink clouds.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 29
  • clouds.jpg
    clouds.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 23
  • evening lighthouse.jpg
    evening lighthouse.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Beauly Firth.jpg
    Beauly Firth.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
You do know how to take 'em Bridie. Not sure I've got anything that hasn't already been on, but it should be fun seeing what everybody else has.

Hi Bridie & All,
Absolutley Fabulous Bridie, well done.

I'll be back.....................teehee!

I'm of the opinion that pretty much everything classes as a wonder, but then again, i'm easily pleased. Snow's pretty nice when it gets here, that's surely a wonder?

Attachments

• woodland sunset.JPG
    woodland sunset.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 28
  • mid snow storm 2.JPG
    mid snow storm 2.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 31
Hi Bridie and all,
Great to see Kippford again Bridie......lovely pics thanks! :t:
Mine are of Lyn Padarn,N.Wales,the bridge at Llanwrst,A mountain stream,Llanberis and the 4th one not quite a natural wonder but I think it's a stunning picture...taken by my son on his phone in his University city,Birmingham.
Finally my pic from Kippford.....great place int it?
Best wishes,

Attachments

• A moody Llyn Padarn.JPG
    A moody Llyn Padarn.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Cottage,Llanrwst bridge.JPG
    Cottage,Llanrwst bridge.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Mountain stream,Llanberis.JPG
    Mountain stream,Llanberis.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Selfridges,Bullring,B'ham.JPG
    Selfridges,Bullring,B'ham.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Kippford,D&G.JPG
    Kippford,D&G.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 19
Some nice photos Chris and Ruth :clap:

Ruth I think your 2nd photo of the bridge would make a good Jigsaw puzzle, funny how somethings come straight into your mind isn't it! It is a beautiful photo!

Selfridges looks pretty good too!!! ;) A nice angle of it :t:

Best Wishes

Hi Bridie,

If you`re in to clouds, skies etc., then you must visit http://www.cloudappreciationsociety.org/ where you can indulge your fancy for ages!

The August sunset is local, as is the third one. The second was taken coming back across the North Sea from Norway.

Attachments

• August Sunset 2006.jpg
    August Sunset 2006.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Cloud over North Sea.jpg
    Cloud over North Sea.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 26
  • ~lwf0004 copy (1).jpg
    ~lwf0004 copy (1).jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 27
Hi all,

I've got a few unusual pics of scenery!

1 is of the Clyde estuary

2 is the Argyll coast (I don't know which bit sadly!)

3 & 4 is a view of Loch Lomond

2, 3 & 4 is taken from a sea-plane! :eek!: :eek!:

Attachments

• Clyde estuary1.JPG
    Clyde estuary1.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Argyll coast 1.JPG
    Argyll coast 1.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 16
  • Loch Lomond 1.JPG
    Loch Lomond 1.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 22
  • Loch Lomond 2.JPG
    Loch Lomond 2.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 19
Just a couple more

These are of the Lake of Menteith last winter

Attachments

• lake of menteith 1.JPG
    lake of menteith 1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 16
  • lake of menteith 2.JPG
    lake of menteith 2.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 11
Hi Ladies & Chris (?)

A lovely lot of photos, many thanks for the pleasure.

I've taken my share of 'big scenery' in my time but now in this area, even including 'our' bit of the Cotswolds, scenery where the hand of man hasn't set foot (often in hob-nailed boots) is getting pretty scarce. So I've gone back to some of the other 'Wonders of Nature', where man hasn't (yet) managed to put his sticky fingerprints. Trees of course are a great love of mine but we've done them a bit so here's something else.

Bill

Attachments

• DS cumulus 1.jpg
    DS cumulus 1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DS frosted web .jpg
    DS frosted web .jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 29
bill moss said:
Hi Ladies & Chris (?)

A lovely lot of photos, many thanks for the pleasure.

I've taken my share of 'big scenery' in my time but now in this area, even including 'our' bit of the Cotswolds, scenery where the hand of man hasn't set foot (often in hob-nailed boots) is getting pretty scarce. So I've gone back to some of the other 'Wonders of Nature', where man hasn't (yet) managed to put his sticky fingerprints. Trees of course are a great love of mine but we've done them a bit so here's something else.

Bill

Oh yes! Spider's webs definitely Bill. Good point. They're absolutely amazing, and that picture of yours shows it superbly. :clap: Is that a picture of last year/ early this year or are you having frost's like that already? Brrrr...

Those pictures from the plane are great Cathy. How'd you come to get them? I've got a flying lesson coming up...:bounce: can't wait! Will take my camera and see if I can take something similar.

Hi Chris,

Glad you like them. We bought my dad a trip in the sea plane for his 70th birthday (obviously he had top have company). It's a relatively new idea for this part of Scotland at least. The plane is based on the shore of loch Lomond, and weather permitting, you can go on the sea plane at your appointed time. It took us quite a while to finally get to take the trip, although it didn't matter too much as we live here so time wasn't a factor. It was a 6 seater affair, and it was pretty spectacular I must admit. We were plugged in to speak to the pilot so there we were chatting about what we could see and all sorts. The plane being so small, it did get bumped and buffeted about a bit which took some getting used to, but it was wonderful and as you can see from the pics, you see things from a whole new perspective.

Hi Bridie,
Great thread Bridie. Wonderful photos from everyone!
I've added some of my own "wonders" from many years ago now, when we've been holidaying. They are quite old photos and have been scanned to post on here of course, so please forgive the quality.
The 1st. was taken somewhere on the N.Yorks. Moors (beautiful place) just after a huge storm, and taken through the car window!
The 2nd. was taken of Saltwick Nab, just outside Whitby, (N.Yorks. again), at sunrise.
The 3rd. is somewhere on Jersey, of the coastline by moonlight.
Hope you like 'em.
All the Best to All.

Attachments

• On the North Yorkshire Moors.jpg
    On the North Yorkshire Moors.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Saltwick Nab at Sunrise.jpg
    Saltwick Nab at Sunrise.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Jersey Coastline by Night.jpg
    Jersey Coastline by Night.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 24
What a good thread Bridie, I could look at images of weather all day - cloudscapes, storms, snow, everything. Great pics from everyone.

Thats a smashing "cauliflower" Bill, I guess there was a storm brewing somewhere. Is that snowscene taken on the Wolds Chris, or am I a few miles out.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link Bea, I`d been wondering where I could go to chat about the weather (sensibly, not like the beeb boards where we were inundated with idiots) and you`ve pointed me in the right direction. Glad that you like the Cloud Appreciation Society`s pages too.

Thanks all for such inspiring photos - :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sunrise and sunsets seem to be everyones ideas of "wonder". Superb ones Judo and Wendy, loved the rainbow and the link to the cloud society - another good browse. Cathy loved the sea on the
Clyde estuary and Bill spiders webs have always been a great favourite, especially in the Autumn. I have spent many a damp Autumn day taking a class of 25 little ones out into the school grounds to look and wonder at spiders webs. It always led to great artwork. I still do it regardless of schemes of work and planning schedules - too old to change!!

So glad others love Kippford too Ruth, (I slso thought it was a great shot of Lake Padarn) I seem to remember that Sue is also a fan. Thanks Chris for the shot of snow - it might be the only glimse of snow this year, if the Autumn is anything to go by!!

Again thanks everyone for a very enjoyable few minutes gazing at all the photos.

Bridie

Couldn't resist a few more "wonders"

just had to include some bird wonders (Caerlaverock) + castlerigg stone circle, which is a man made wonder amongst some of natures most beautiful, wondrous scenery in the Lake District and one of the Solway Firth at Rockcliffe, which is certainly scenery about which to "wonder".

Attachments

• geese 1.jpg
    geese 1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 20
  • geese2.jpg
    geese2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 20
  • castlerigg.jpg
    castlerigg.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 15
  • rockcliffe.jpg
    rockcliffe.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 18
Without any doubt, this is the most beautiful thread I have ever seen!

Thank you all for posting some of Nature's wonders.
:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Judo? May I copy your photo of Saltwick Nab?

Lydia

Some truly amazing photos up there everyone, all so very beautiful and makes you realise just what marvels there are out there. All we need to do now is to always have the camera with us as you just never know! Thanks to all, really enjoyable, thanks for the link Wendy, delightful!

Sue.

Bea said:
What a good thread Bridie, I could look at images of weather all day - cloudscapes, storms, snow, everything. Great pics from everyone.

Thats a smashing "cauliflower" Bill, I guess there was a storm brewing somewhere. Is that snowscene taken on the Wolds Chris, or am I a few miles out.

Tis indeed a snowy wolds scene. There's few places prettier in my opinion. The pictures a little grey, but it was taken mid snow storm!

Everyone else is putting up some great pictures, really enjoying seeing them. Bridie especially, with the pictures of ducks/swans/geese from Caerlaverock. Huge flocks of birds really are some of the most spectacular natural wonders, and i'd add to that with these. Hope you've not seen them before...

Bempton in July.

Attachments

• bempton flow'rs.JPG
    bempton flow'rs.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 12
  • cliff.JPG
    cliff.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 16
  • gannet colony.JPG
    gannet colony.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 18
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back