• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-backed Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

White-backed Woodpecker it isn't a very common species, here in Romania (more common species of spotted woodpeckers are: Great Spotted, Syrian, Middle Spotted and Lesser Spotted; also Green and Grey-faced are more common species then White-backed). I've seen it a few times in the mountain forests, but I wasn't able to take pics with it.

I have also seen a white-backed woodpecker in the romanian carpathians (near poiana brasov to be exact) during winter. only "record shot" which has been severly cropped... I think it's of the sub-species leucotos (N & E Europe)

they are quite rare (or at least uncommon) in most of europe now arn't they?

Attachments

• poianawoodyect(1).jpg
    poianawoodyect(1).jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Interestingly this species has recently colonised Switzerland. It's still very rare, but more and more breeding spots are found and it seems that it's still spreading westwards.

André

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back