• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking help with odd bird identification (Pics) (1 Viewer)

broomjob

Hello folks,

I am a new member in central New Hampshire, USA. I am reaching out as there has been a very odd bird visiting the area under my feeder for the last two day.

I have been totally baffled in my attempts to identify the bird in various field guides and online. I have attached photos of the bird for review.

The animal is between the size of an oriole and a robin, is very vocal with a regular loud PEEEEEP. In flight the bird has striking red shoulders and a striped tail. Any help in identification would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 19
I agree with fugl, Red-winged Blackbird with partial albinism.

eta: Welcome to BirdForum!

Last edited:
Partial leucism- you can't have partial albinism.

Yes, you can. The meaning is self-evident (unlike “leucism’s”) and, in any case, the common speech isn’t bound by the laws of genetics. Note also that Sibley uses “partial albino” in his field guides, the most widely used by serious birders in North America.

Last edited:
Yes, you can. The meaning is self-evident (unlike “leucism’s”) and, in any case, the common speech isn’t bound by the laws of genetics. Note also that Sibley uses “partial albino” in his field guides, the most widely used by serious birders in North America.

We've had this debate numerous times, surely we've got it covered somewhere.

Here's one thread at least where it's debated, from about post 19.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=370364&highlight=albinism

Last edited:
Last edited:
Lordy, I'd forgotten about that one which did go on and on alright with no minds being changed. But my intention in post #6 was not to re-open the debate but simply to set aesha5 straight.

aeshna5

Can't even get people's names right ... :-O

Broomjob - it looks to be an aberrant Red-winged Blackbird (or a partially leucistic Red-winged Blackbird). Welcome to BF btw ... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back