• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No birds on feeder (1 Viewer)

Hi I have had the big feeder up for two years and the station up for over three months and I barely get any birds on them I clean them every month and I only get pigeons two wrens blue tits , great tits , occasionaly two green finches and rarely twelve starlings that all come at once but mojoraty of the time ( basically all day ) the feeder goes without any visitors I feed high quality seed mix and I mix in extra miner seed and sunflower hearts I put mealworms Sometimes rasins and apples ( no seeds) and very rarely a little bacon rind I hang a peanut feeder and two suet coconuts k also have four bird boxes in the garden but they are all empty am I doing anything wrong ?
Any help is appreciated thank you

Dont think so. It may just be down to your location sadly, particularly if you live in a built up area where both the number and density of species will be lower.

Hi Emma and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the more appropriate Garden Birds subforum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here.

Pat is likely to be correct in that it could be your location. You do get two species that I rarely see, and that Great Tit and Greenfinch. Birds do like to feel secure when they're feeding, are there any bushes they can shelter in if a raptor comes round? They would need to be fairly close to the feeders.

Other people will be along soon I expect with some other ideas for you.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I'm like PYRTLE, it sounds like you have your bases covered. Hey, if I were a bird, I'd be there!

Welcome aboard Emma :t:

Is it possible that there is sufficient natural food around that the birds are feasting on that?

A bird bath if you haven't already provided one will also be beneficial.

Welcome aboard Emma :t:

Is it possible that there is sufficient natural food around that the birds are feasting on that?
I live near a dense woodland so there definitely could be and there are many goldfinches nesting in a silver birch in my neighbours garden but they never ever come in my garden there is five trees in my garden so maybe my neighbours have feeders or berry bushes

Hi Emma and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the more appropriate Garden Birds subforum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here.

Pat is likely to be correct in that it could be your location. You do get two species that I rarely see, and that Great Tit and Greenfinch. Birds do like to feel secure when they're feeding, are there any bushes they can shelter in if a raptor comes round? They would need to be fairly close to the feeders.

Other people will be along soon I expect with some other ideas for you.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Hi thank you there are five trees in my back garden it is fairly large my four tube hanging feeder is hanging from a tree directly underneath all of the leaves and branches and the feeding station is Right next to a tree so I doubt that could be the problem

Dont think so. It may just be down to your location sadly, particularly if you live in a built up area where both the number and density of species will be lower.
Hi I live in England right next to a dense woodland so maybe that isn’t the proble I don’t know but I have just seen a European jay in my back garden in the trees for the first time is that a good thing or are they predatory and that’s why not many birds are coming ?

Welcome!

I think you just need patience. It took me five years to get goldfinches in my garden. You are getting a good variety visiting. We back on to woodland but are rural. We have jays nesting but that doesn't affect the number of birds visiting. There is more natural food available but we are still getting blue tits, great tits, coal tits, nuthatches, and great spotted woodpeckers on the feeders.

Are your feeders close to your house? Movement near windows will make birds wary.

Welcome!

I think you just need patience. It took me five years to get goldfinches in my garden. You are getting a good variety visiting. We back on to woodland but are rural. We have jays nesting but that doesn't affect the number of birds visiting. There is more natural food available but we are still getting blue tits, great tits, coal tits, nuthatches, and great spotted woodpeckers on the feeders.

Are your feeders close to your house? Movement near windows will make birds wary.
Hi thank you I have the feeders a far away from the house as possible about four or five meters away and I’m really excited because I got two goldfinches in my garden this morning they didn’t go on the feeder but looks like they where looking for nesting materials 😃😃 I hope the jay comes back then as it was really pretty and seemed to have a lot of colour and personality even though it was only hidden in the trees the bright blue and yellow orange really stands out 🤩🤩

Just be patient Emma ;) I am sure that soon you will be telling us that your feeders are draining too quickly ;)

Just be patient Emma ;) I am sure that soon you will be telling us that your feeders are draining too quickly ;)
Ok that makes sense he tray table feeder does drain very fast but that’s because wood pigeons sit there for over an hour and just eat seed I have video evidence 🤣🤣 but I’m ok with that I suppose

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back