• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

duck i.d. help (1 Viewer)

stratos22

got some pic here of a duck my friend sent me. i'm fairly confident the bird is a female common goldeneye but the person who sent it to me says it's a barrow's....need some backup here.

Attachments

• ge3.jpg
    ge3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 336
I think your right on this one, if you look at the bill shot it doesn't appear to be short (although this can be deceptive) and the amount of yellow seems more consistant with common goldeneye (although i don't assume it is in full breeding plumage). The only thing is the head is very rounded it should be more of a peak, but the position it is lieing in makes this a bit hard to tell. :-C

In my oppinion it is a common Goldeneye.3:)

Ash

my apologies for not putting this subject on the bird i.d. forum.

thanks for your input. the bird was taken in southern PA in mid december. which better supports the common GE suggestion.

stratos, do you think you could post a pic of a live duck next time?
or if not pehaps slightly less dead perhaps winged? being a Birdforum, our members would prefer it if the birds were alive, or at least alive while you take its picture.
This is the second time you have posted pics of deceased ducks ,you have a marvellous collection going in bird Id uk.
if you insist on posting more pictures of departed ducks may I suggest they are cooked and on a plate surrounded by segmented oranges.

slightly more tastful in both senses of the word

steve

sorry steve, i do what i can, with what i've got.

i've got some interesting pics of a titmouse hanging upside down from my parents overhang on their front porch. it was crawling along grazing on spider egg sacks! first time i've sever seen that!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back