• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper HD vs Nikon Monarch 7 vs Monarch 5 (1 Viewer)

MrBJones

It's Christmas time and my lovely wife wants to give me a set of good binoculars. Regardless of the specific set, they'll be 8x42, primarily for birding.

Based on "historical" reviews, the Vortex Viper would seem to beat the Monarchs. But with their recent move to China, there seems to be some concern with build quality etc , with some feeling that their cost is no longer justified.

The Monarchs also seem to be highly regarded, though they're made in China as well.

So, based on your experience (or that of someone you know), would you go with the current MIC Vortex Viper, or the Nikon Monarch? If the Monarch, is the 7 appreciably better than the 5?

Or...would you suggest something entirely different?

Thanks!

Of the three in your title the Monarch 7, is to me, the clear choice. I'd tend to rate the Viper next and the Monarch 5 last.

When you define a price range, you have essentially defined your ability to choose from a range of binoculars that will offer pretty similar optical performance. The light transmission, resolution and other things will be pretty close.

The thing is, at this point, is to go for ergonomics. Get the one that feels best to you in your hands and to your eyes. Start with as many local choices as you can find. If you find one locally you like, I'd tend to go for that one. It is far too easy to start chasing one's tail wondering about ..."well I have this one, but what about that one, or the other one over there?"

So if you don't find one locally, the look for places where you can utilize a good return policy and try a few out that way.

While you don't need to spend a ton of money for a good, solid, high performing binocular, I'd offer the observation that...for example...If the Monarch 7 is not quite right then look at the Monarch HG or if the Zeiss Terra is not quite right look at the Conquest. If the HG and the Conquest don't do it, then be prepared to pony up some $$. If the Monarch 7 strikes your fancy (and if you can find one locally) go for it and just go out, enjoy, and use the binocular. It goes without saying not to abuse your lovely wife's generosity!

With today's glass there is a wonderful selection from $600-1,200. Not really a bad glass in the whole range, but a selection of prices and choices. Even less then that for that matter. Take your time. The only person who has to like your choice is you. Not much need to go over this top end of this range.

Last edited:
Agree with Steve C that the Zeiss Terra ED 8 x 42 should also be considered and that the ergonomic feel is just as important as the image. All based on around $500.
P

Bushnell Legend M. Just as nice as a M7 or Viper for a fraction of the cost. Comes with a lifetime no fault warranty. Then she’d have some $ left over for more presents

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back