• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inkjet printer problems (1 Viewer)

pete schofield

Hi all
I have a problem with an inkjet printer mines an oldish one Epson sylus photo 750.

I use this printer infrequently (about 1 a month) and every time I come to use it I have to clean the Jets about 3 times before it will print properly. (epson & compatable carts)

I was once told to leave the printer switched on but this made no difference.

Any idea's or is it time to get a new one, if so what's reccommended in £100 bracket?

Any help appreciated

Peter

We got an Epson colour printer when we bought our first windows based machine a three years ago.

I hardly ever use a printer (100 pages a year tops), AM used it a fair bit during the first 6 months. However, after just a year it collapsed in a heap, but it always seemed to need coaxing before it would print and gobbled up ink.

This surprised me because I used to have an Epson RX80 dot matrix which just went on and on and on, and the ribbon lasted for ever.

I got a HP960C replacement which seems about as reliable as the old HP500 was, though the price of replacing the ink cartridges is about the same as buying a new printer (£60).

Golfnut, have you tried running through a cleaner cartridge?

www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_EPSON_Cleaner_Cartridges_4.html

With so little use of your printer, I suspect using compatible ink cartridges is perhaps not a very useful economy. Might be best to stick with Epson though I wouldn't like to say for sure how much difference there is.

I'm sure Walwyn's recommendation of HP is a safe one. If this occasional use of your printer is for photographs, I understand Canon are on good form at the moment in that department.

BTW I have a humble Epson Photo 700 (less memory than yours). Printing A4 photos once a month has not been a problem so far; given its speed once a month represents a continuous print run :-O

I have similar problems with my Epson 740. I don't use it much but it needs to run through the diagnotics and clean the jets before it will print well.. and I only use Epson cartridges.

Dave

phyllosc,normjackson,walwyn

OK thanks for the info guys, seems like it is just the lack of use.

I have heard of jet cleaning cartridges Norm but had no luck finding any will try out the site you mention.

Many thanks and good birding

Peter

Hi. Iam having the same problem with my Epson Photo 830 printer .I makes no difference if I use Epson or compatibles.

I dare say there may be concerns with non-Epson inks about quality control issues such as colour fastness, consistency of colour matching etc. Maybe there are even manufacturer's guarantee conditions that might persuade one to use genuine Epson cartridges (dunno about that either). However, the greatest argument for golfnut to use Epson is that, unlike some compatible products, they're guaranteed not to pong a lot while one's going through the head priming and flushing routine for the monthly cleaning routine. Just my clothes peg's worth.

Norm

P.S. Actually Epsons aren't as bad as many others since I don't think the ink is heated to vaporise before being "squirted". (Just know have put the kiss of death on my printer since claiming I haven't had any problems). My sister has a very old 3 colour Epson; she always has a problem with the same head/colour ink. Wonder if a survey would reveal a bias towards blockage of yellow?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back