• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UNF Sanctuary - Jacksonville, FL, USA (1 Viewer)

jedku

Marc
3/25/06
10AM, 12C, Clear skies, breezy.

For the last 2 years I have been living in Jacksonville, FL very close to the small nature preserve of the U. of North Florida. Have been going there alot, learning the place. I am not much of a chaser and have neglected to drive around Florida to find the species missing from my life list. But, I love to get to know a good spot through the seasons.
2 main habitats at the Sanctuary, besides the small lakes.
Primarily swampy, 2nd growth deciduous trees with many Magnolias as well. The undergrowth is Ferns, mosses and Poison Ivy among others. There is a carpet of red-brown leaf-litter in all seasons.
My walk starts in this type of woodland with an initial view of a small lake. Here are the birds listed in the order seen/heard:

Belted Kingfisher, Pied-billed Grebe, American Coot, Blue-headed Vireo, Carolina Wren, Hermit Thrush, many Yellow-rumped Warblers, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Northern Parula, Anhinga, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Northern Cardinal, Red-eyed Vireo, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Red-shouldered Hawk, Pileated Woodpecker, White-eyed Vireo, Tufted Titmouse, Palm Warbler, Barred Owl, Yellow-throated Warbler, Downy Woodpecker.
Then, into the sparse slash pine growing in very dry, sandy soil with Sawgrass Palmetto and tall grasses on the ground level -- rattlesnake country. This is the most common habitat in Northeast Florida -- "Pinewood Flats." This habitat always yields fewer species , of course. In a recent June I had a singing Male Bachman's Sparrow, but have not seen one since. Today, the Pinewoods added only:
Pine Warbler, Eastern Towhee and Eastern Phoebe. Brown-headed Nuthatches were missing.
As, I came out to a clear view of the sky, I saw in rapid succession: Swallow-tailed Kite (The only non-wintering bird of today's list, and the first returning migrant of the season for me!), Black Vulture and Cooper's Hawk.
It was a beautiful day. No rare species, but a real snapshot of our local patch at the end of March.

We are lucky this area is preserved. There is construction in large tracts all around. Its the main industry here in North Florida. There is no sprawl prevention from the local government, as there is in much of the Northeast now. Here, every new construction site represents short term jobs and profits to the govt officials and their business associates. There must be construction to sustain their profits. There is no real regard for community planning, smart growth or any assessments of natural, transportation or urban impacts.
Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back