• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"diagnosis not seen" for genus names in the Key A through S (2 Viewers)

Another update

A few less to search for ...

The following journals/books have also been delivered to James Jobling (and his HBW Alive Key):

Anzeiger der Ornithologischen Gesellschaft in Bayern (Band II, Nr.8) ... incl. Cossyphicula Grote 1934

Bulletins de la Société Royale de Zoologie d'Anvers (N° 15) ... incl. Kiwi Verheyen 1960

Die Vogelarten der Erde, by Hans Edmund Wolters (1975-1982) ... incl. Oenositta, Chionomitris, Rhododendroeca, Amphispizopsis, Schistolais, Chrysominla, Strophocincla, Otocichla, Phoenicuropsis and Vauriella ... [+ Melizocincla (p.405), Dorisornis (p.413), Dorisella (p.414) and Rauenia (p.340)]

That´s it guys! That´s all I (and the libraries in Stockholm) can deliver.

Enough is enough!

Björn

We´re ticking off the list!

As of now this thread is so prolooooooooonged, it´s hard to grasp ...

Thereby, let´s see; what´s left of all those Jobling's "Diagnosis not yet seen":

A Supplement to the Birds of Norfolk and Lord Howe Islands, to which is added those birds of New Zealand not figured by Buller
Hersepis Mathews 1936: p.32

Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis
Cristemberiza Momiyama 1929: 1 (3), p.319
Micreophona Momiyama 1928: 1 (3), p.319
Sieboldornis Momiyama 1928: 1 (3), p.319

Arnoldia
Dryocichloides Irwin & Clancey 1974: 6 (34), p.15

Beiträge zur Ornithologie Afrika's
Carpospiza von Müller 1854, III, pl. X

Bengal Sporting Magazine
Milvulus Hodgson 1836: VIII (28), p.183

Biological Leaflet
Tacitathena L. Kelso & E. Kelso 1937: no. 7

The Birds of Australia
Argentiphilemon Mathews 1925: XII, p. 96
Buccokitta Mathews 1926: XII (7), 313

Birds of (the Island of) Java
Bonaparteis Kuroda 1933: I, p. 53

The Birds of Norfolk & Lord Howe Islands and the Australasian polar quadrant (with additions to 'The Birds of Australia')
Sylvestrornis Mathews 1928: p.4
Kentrophorina Mathews 1928: p.6

Catalogue des oiseaux composant le cabinet de M. le comte de Riocour à Aulnois
Eurilenus de Riocour 1829: p.19

Guia completo para identificação das aves do Brasil
Sakesphoroides Grantsau 2010: 2, p.651

Illustrations of Ornithology
Macronus Jardine & Selby 1835: series I, III (10), pl. 150, p.91.
Oreopholus Jardine & Selby 1835: series I, III (10), pl. 151, p.93

Illustrations of the genera of birds
Hamirostra T. Brown 1846: pt. VIII

The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts
Bahila Hodgson 1838: 2 (2) (1837), p.87

Known Birds of North and Middle America
Readytes A. R. Phillips 1991: II, p.224

(Königlich) Preußischer Staats-Anzeiger
["Königlich" was apparently added to the Preußischer Staats-Anzeiger in 1851]
Dissoura Cabanis 1850: Beilage i, col. 1484 p.1484

List of the Birds of British India
Curzonia K. Skinner 1905: 1, 6

Nasha Okhota
Cyanophasis Buturlin 1908: 10, pp.33, 35 [... or in No.12?]
Microscops Buturlin 1910 (11): 9-14. [sensu Laurent Raty]

Natural History and Antiquities of Selborne ...
Rhondella (Rennie's 1833 edition): p.62
Stoparola (ditto edition, 1833): p.426

Notes on the Order Procellariiformes
Thalobata Mathews & Hallstrom 1943: p.27
Hallstroma Mathews (& Hallstrom?) 1943: p.37

Notice sur Les Travaux Scientifiques
[Notice sur les travaux scientifiques de M. Eugène Simon. Paris, 1918, pp.1-55. (sensu Mark Brown)]
Chlorostola Simon 1918: p.39
Chloropogon Simon 1918: p.39
Coeliola Simon 1918: p.39

'Orion' Naturwissenschaftlich-Technische Zeitschrift für Jedermann
Baruwaia Boetticher 1947: 2 (7), p.348
[Partly dealt with in post #116. OD still unseen]

Ornithologische Berichte
Stresemannia Meise 1950: 2, p.118

Ornithologische Monatsberichte
Buettikoferella Stresemann 1928: 36 (2), p.40
Megazosterops Stresemann 1930: 38 (5), p.159
Heinrichia Stresemann 1931: 39 (1), p.9
Geomalia Stresemann 1931: 39 (1), p.10
Habropteryx Stresemann 1932: 40 (4), p.122

Ornitologiya
Stepaniania Kashin 1982: 17, p.184

Quarterly Journal of the Calcutta Medical and Physical Society
Bathyrynchus McClelland 1837: I (IV), p.531

Report of the Council of the Manchester Natural History Society
Chenogeranus T. Brown 1842: p.4

Revista de la Sociedad Cientifica del Paraguay
Ridgwayornis A. Bertoni 1926: 2 (1) (1925): p.69
[A. (de Winkelried) Bertoni. 1925. Aves Paraguayas poco conocidas. Revista de la Sociedad Científica del Paraguay 2 (1): 68-70.]

Verhandlungen des naturhistorischen Vereins für das Großherzogtum Hessen und Umgebung
Cittura Kaup 1848: 2, p.68
Chloroceryle Kaup 1848: 2, p.68
Corythornis Kaup 1848: 2, p.71
Ispidina Kaup 1848: 2, p.71

Verhandelingen over de Natuurlijke Geschiedenis der Nederlandsche overzeesche bezittingen, de Leden der Natuurkundige commissie in Indië en andere Schrijvers. Land- en Volkenkunde
Belocercus Müller 1841 [... & Schlegel?]: X, pp.107, 471

Vögel ferner Länder
Poikilocarbo Boetticher 1935: 3

Zoologisch-technologischer Leitfaden für Realschulen und Gymnasien (Magdeburg)
Hemiprocne Riemann 1838, p.34

---

Well, that´s it ... still a long list, but considerably shorter than in post #41!

Sorting out the rest, of all the others (i.e. Diagnosis not yet seen/verified/ascertained), I gladly leave to James ...

Keep digging!

Björn

PS. James, I hope you will keep us updated on the results of your forthcoming visit to Tring (simply to avoid anyone searching, without cause, for a text you´ve already got).
--

Last edited:
● Poikilocarbo Boetticher 1935: 3.
I have seen Der Gaimardische Buntkormoran in Vögel ferner Länder, 1935, Heft 4 1 Aves 3, 843 Braunschweig. Im thinking 843 is index?

Last edited:
Hemiprocne (syn. Collocalia)
I have already included the Richmond Card Index quotation, which I assume is part of the original diagnosis, in the Key entry. It does not contain the name Hemiprocne, hence still the need to see the OD.

In: Schwarz E. 1928. Johann Büttikofer †. Ornithol. Monatsber., 36: 37-40.
https://books.google.com/books?id=AuJEAAAAYAAJ&q=bütti
Wenn das wissenschaftliche Lebenswerk Büttikofer's der einheitlichen Linie und der geschlossenen Durchführung entbehrt, so bleibt es doch, soweit es vorliegt, imponierend genug. Mehr als 50 Einzelarbeiten, mehr als ein halbes Hundert neuer Arten, die er beschrieben hat, überall Arbeiten von bleibendem Wert, wo er angriff. Dazu ein großartiges Museumsmaterial, das dauernd zu den wichtigsten historischen Stücken des Leidener Museums gehört und nach dem zahlreiche Arten von Tieren der verschiedensten Gruppen, auch eine Gattung, der Käfer Büttikoferia liberiensis Roelofs, seinen Namen tragen.⁴) Auch an äußeren Ehren hat es ihm nicht gefehlt; obwohl ohne geordneten Studiengang, trug er den Doktortitel, den ihm die heimische Universität Bern honoris causa verliehen hatte.

Megazosterops Stresemann 1930: 38 (5), p.159

https://books.google.com/books?id=nGDzAAAAMAAJ&q=genus+novum
Megazosterops novum genus Zosteropidarum. Typus: Cleptornis palauensis Reichenow, Journ. für Ornith. 63, 1915, p. 125 — 126: Baobeltaob (Palau-Inseln), A. Winkler leg. Diene sehr merkwürdige Art, die im Berliner Museum durch 2 Exemplai e vertreten ist, wurde von REICHENOW "unter Vorbehalt" in die Meliphagiden-Gattung Cleptornis gestellt. Sie hat mit Cleptornis (Typus: C. marchei Oust.) jedoch nichts zu tun, sondern gehört zu den Zosteropiden, wie ihre winzige (nur etwa 6 mm lange), schmale und spitze äußerste Handschwinge verrät. Mit einer Flügellänge von 81 — 83 mm ist sie einer von den größten bisher bekannten Zosteropiden. Weißliche Federn am Lidrand sind schwach entwickelt. Im Färbungsstil (olivbraune Oberseite, überm Auge beginnender olivgelber Strich, der oberhalb der Ohrdecken zum Nacken zieht, schmutzig gelblich olivfarbene Unterseite; Schnabel und Füße hornfarben) steht Megazosterops palauensis weit ab von allen anderen Vertretern seiner Familie. Der leicht gekrümmte Schnabel ist stark und gedrungen.
E. Stresemann.

Heinrichia Stresemann 1931: 39 (1), p.9
Geomalia Stresemann 1931: 39 (1), p.10

In: Stresemann E. 1931. Vorläufiges über die ornithologischen Ergebnisse der Expedition Heinrich 1930-1932. I. Ornithol. Monatsber., 39: 7-14.
https://books.google.com/books?id=KOFEAAAAYAAJ&q=genus+novum
Heinrichia novum genus Brachypteryginarum.​
Langbeiniger Bodenvogel von Cinclus-Größe, mit kurzen gewölbten Flügeln und ziemlich langem Schwanz, der aus 12 sehr dünnschäftigen Steuerfedern zusammengesetzt ist. In struktureller Hinsicht am ähnlichsten Brachypteryx Horsfield (Typus: Brachypteryx montana Horsfield), aber Zehen relativ kräftiger, Nägel relativ länger, Oberschnabel-Spitze nicht zu einem scharfen Haken umgebogen, Borsten des Schnabelwinkels länger, Flügel nicht so stark gerundet. Lauf vorn und hinten mit einer ungegliederten Schiene bedeckt.
Typus: Heinrichia calligyna Stres.
Geomalia novum genus Brасhуpteryginarum.​
Ein großer, sehr langschwänziger Bodenvogel, von der Statur einer Janthocincla maxima, aber, wie aus der Struktur der Läufe, der Zehen, der Flügel und der Schwanzfedern hervorgeht, keineswegs den Crateropodiden verwandt. Am besten dürfte Geomalia ihren Platz in der Gruppe der Brachypteryginen finden (und zwar in der Nachbarschaft von Heinrichia), wenn man es nicht vorzieht, eine eigene Unterfamilie (Geomaliinae) dafür zu schaffen.
Schnabel lang, seitlich stark komprimiert, durchaus drosselartig. Stark entwickelte Schnabelborsten. Flügel relativ sehr kurz, stark gewölbt. 1. Handschwinge mehr als halb so lang wie die 2.; 4., 5., 6., 7. und 8. Handschwinge fast gleichlang und die Spitze des Flügels bildend. Schwanz länger als Flügel, gestuft, ans 12 Federn mit sehr dünnen Schäften und sehr lockerer Fahne bestehend (die in struktureller Hinsicht den Schwanzfedern von Heinrichia sehr ähnlich und wie bei dieser Gattung am Ende scharf zugespitzt sind). Lauf und Zehen sehr lang und schlank. Lauf vorn und hinten von einer einheitlichen Schiene bedeckt.
Typus: Geomalia heinrichi Stres.
Der Name Geomalia ist von Herrn Heinrich in Vorschlag gebracht worden, der diese Gattung sofort als neu erkannte.
(In each case, the description of the genus is followed by that of its type species. Note also the family-group name in the second description.)

Habropteryx Stresemann 1932: 40 (4), p.122

https://books.google.com/books?id=KOFEAAAAYAAJ&q=habropteryx
Habropteryx novum genus Rallidarum. Typus: Rallus insignis Scl. — Der von P. L. Sclater 1880 als Rallus insignis beschriebene Vogel, ein in den Museen noch sehr seltener Bewohner von Neu-Britannien, ist von seinem Beschreiber mit Hypotaenidia celebensis verglichen und noch im gleichen Jahre in die Gattung Hypotaenidia eingereiht worden (Ibis 1880 p. 312). Fortab wurde er in der Literatur als Hypotaenidia insignis geführt. Er weicht aber von allen übrigen zu Hypotaenidia gestellten Arten, darunter dem Typus der Gattung (H. philippensis) sehr erheblich ab; denn er gehört, wie der Bau der Flügel und des Schwanzes beweist, zu den flugunfälligen Rallen und stellt hinsichtlich der Morphologie des Bewegungsapparates den Gattungen Habroptila (Halmahera), Aramidopsis (Celebes) und Megacrex (Neuguinea) am nächsten. Daher verdient er es, aus dem Verbände der flugfähigen Hypotaenidia-Arten entfernt und in eine eigene Gattung, Habropteryx ("Weichflügel"), gestellt zu werden. Habropteryx unterscheidet sich von Hypotaenidia durch die viel weicheren Schwungfedern (dünnere Schäfte, loserer Zusammenhalt der Federfahne, viel größere Breite der Außenfahne an den distalen Hand-schwingen) ¹), kurze und ganz zerschlissene Steuerfedern und relativ viel kräftigere Läute und Zehen. In allen diesen Merkmalen stimmt sie gut mit Aramidopsis und Habroptila überein, aber von beiden unterscheidet sie die Gestalt des Schnabels, der bei weitem nicht so lang ist, sondern wie ein vergrößerter Hypotaenidia-Schnahel aussieht. Die Steuerfedern von Habropteryx sind ganz so wie Oberschwanzdecken gebaut, und Sclater glaubte daher, daß das von ihm beschriebene Exemplar seinen Schwanz verloren habe.
E. Stresemann.
________
¹) Vgl. E. Stresemann, La structure des rémiges chez quelques Râles physiologiquement aptères; Alauda 1932, p. 1 — 5, tab. I.

Last edited:
Hemiprocne (syn. Collocalia)
I have already included the Richmond Card Index quotation, which I assume is part of the original diagnosis, in the Key entry. It does not contain the name Hemiprocne, hence still the need to see the OD.
FWIW, Oberholser 1906 quoted exactly the same text, with "Hemiprocne.—" simply added ahead of it. (He credited Richmond for this quote.)
(Oberholser HC. 1906. The status of the generic name Hemiprocne Nitzsch. Proc. Biol. Soc. Washington 19: 67-70. [here])

Last edited:

In: Schwarz E. 1928. Johann Büttikofer †. Ornithol. Monatsber., 36: 37-40.
https://books.google.com/books?id=AuJEAAAAYAAJ&q=bütti
Just for clarity: the footnote with the new name proposal, here, is the only thing actually authored by Stresemann. The main text (Johann Büttikofer's obituary) was authored by Ernst Schwarz; Stresemann (the editor of the journal) merely seized the opportunity offered by Schwarz's citation of Büttikoferia Roelofs to replace its junior homonym.
(Thus it's not fully correct to quote the whole thing and attribute it to Stresemann, as currently done in the Key.)

Last edited:
As each day passes the list of Key diagnoses unseen becomes smaller and smaller; as at 23.15 this evening the number of generic ODs still to be viewed totalled only 108 (cf. #34, #35, #41). I can only thank, especially, Björn Bergenholtz, Laurent Raty, Martin Schneider and Mark Brown for their dedication and perseverance. My visit to Tring, currently at the planning stage, should make further inroads, and I shall keep readers advised of Key events. Once the genera have been dealt with, the specific names should then occupy my attention (or the mammalian genera in HMW?)

NB. Euchlornis has been added to the list.

Last edited:
Belocercus Müller 1841 [... & Schlegel?]: X, pp.107, 471
Much interesting information in a 1955 article: The Dates of Publication of VERHANDELINGEN etc.
http://repository.naturalis.nl/document/150239 . It helps me understand Richmond’s card on this name:
http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/Genera/B/B00119A.jpg .
This work is of three books Botany, Zoology and Land- en Volkenkunde. Botany and Zoology are on BHL.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/212259#page/13/mode/1up .
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/199650#page/7/mode/1up .
Land- en Volkenkunde I cannot find online. All Avium names in Zoology are Müller and Schlegel. All names in Land- en Volkenkunde are Müller’s alone. Richmond is right the name on page 107 is dated to 1841 between Feb. 1841 the date of part 8 and August 1841 the date of part 11. Page 107 is in Land-en part IV but gen. part X .
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/33339786#page/38/mode/1up .
The name is in a table on page 107. Like this:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/200624#page/74/mode/1up .
And the name in the table is Belocerci not Belocercus. Genitave? Fricitave?
Here is Müller using Belocercus in a table 14 years later. Page 69 of :
https://books.google.com/books?id=g...s+pondicerianus,+Müller&source=gbs_navlinks_s .
I believe it is Belocercus in the index.
Page 471 of Land- en Volkenkunde is in the Index. See Richmond. Therefore I do not believe that Müller gave a diagnosis for this name. He did not do that in tables or indices. The index pages are from 1847 according to the article which explains Richmond’s confusion on the date of the name. But 1841 Müller is correct. Page 471 is in Land-en part X but part 26(?) general part.

Last edited:
Just when I thought my searches was over ...

Verhandelingen over de natuurlijke geschiedenis der Nederlandsche Overzeesche Bezittingen Natuurlijke geschiedenis land- en volkenkunde ... pp.107 and 471 = here (alt. p.124/667 in viewer, resp. 488/667) ... or see attached jpgs.

It´s "Belocerci" (on p.107) and "Belocercus" (on p.471)

It´s all in Dutch (and Latin), all yours Laurent! ;)

Enjoy

Björn
--

Attachments

• p.107.jpg
    p.107.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Page 471.jpg
    Page 471.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for finding this Björn. Under the ICZN before 1930, the presence of a description or definition in words is not compulsory for availability of a new nomen, as some acceptable ‘indications’ do not include such statements. An indication includes a reference to a previosly published information or previously published act which makes the name available. On p. 107 the references to the three species Muller intends to be in the new genus is enough.

Bengal Sporting Magazine

And by the way; the Paper; "Summary description of some new species of birds of prey". Bengal Sporting Magazine 8 (pp.177-183), by Hodgson, was apparently written under the pseudonym "Parbattiah".

Thereby no use to search for that journal in combination with Hodgson.

/B

Quarterly Journal of the Calcutta Medical and Physical Society
● Bathyrynchus McClelland 1837: I (IV), p.531
I believe the diagnosis is repeated in a 1841 book A descriptive Account of Asam 1841. William Robinson.
The zoology of Asam has been partially investigated by
Dr. McClelland, one of the most eminent naturalists in
India, whose researches, it is hoped, will before long be
given to the public. …

Gen. Striscs

Strix flummea^ of Savigny,

Strix alco^ Xim.

Strix ascalaphus^

Nearly allied to this genus is a new and unique species^
Bathyrynchus^ brevirostris, McClelland, cc approaches the
Strigidse (owls) by the general form of the head^ while the
plumage approaches that of Swainson^s Scotophilus perlatus.

Specific character^ brown^ beneath yellowish brown^ with
a black auricular disk under each eye, the anterior feathers
of which have white tips, wings short.

I so, if "repeated" in A descriptive Account of Asam ..., it´s to be read, in full, here.

Bathyrynchus on p.102.

How true the quote is, to the OD itself, is unknown to me.

--

Last edited:
Eurilenus de Riocour 1829: p.19.
The generic name Eurilenus is also proposed, based on Eurilenus nasicus. The
latter appears to be the same as Erolla nasica \ = Cymbirhynchus macrorhynchus
(Gmelin) ] described by Lesson in the "Traite d'Ornithologie" in 1830-31 ; both
genus and species in the present catalogue are nomina nuda.
CATALOGUE OF THE EDWARD E. AYER ORNITHOLOGICAL LIBRARY PART I Zimmer.

It´s all in Dutch (and Latin), all yours Laurent! ;)
I can't really help much. ;)
The names on p. 107 are used in a plural form. A genus-group name should in principle be singular, and names proposed in the plural (in particular when interpolated between a generic and a specific name) are generally not regarded as available. (OTOH, it was rather usual back then to use established generic names in the plural, with as meaning 'the [various] species of said genus' -- e.g, 'the Psittaci', meaning 'the Psittacus spp.') Anyway, in the index, Belocercus is in the singular and this should be OK.
The combination with one or more available specific name(s) is indeed enough to confer availability, "provided that the specific name or names can be unambiguously assigned to a nominal species-group taxon or taxa".

Björn wrote "How true the quote is, to the OD itself, is unknown to me." One data point internal to the Robinson Book that it is a repeat of the dignosis of McClelland's paper is the genus is spelled or mispelled like McClelland did. Bathyrynchus. Not the spelling used by Hodgson who fixed it to Bathyrhynchus. SNAB 38 E. C. Dickinson.
Horsfield (1840). He also mentioned that McClelland had recently named it Bathyrhynchus [sic] Brevirostris 46 . McClelland’s description appeared twice (in late 1837 or early 1838) (McClelland, 1837a, b). Hodgson (1837c) note 46. If the original description is taken to be that in the India Review, as Horsfield (1840) believed, then the spelling of the generic name appeared as Bathyrynchus. Hodgson’s use of Bathyrhynchus may be considered that of a First Reviser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back