• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sound problem (1 Viewer)

steve_nova

Anyone have any ideas how I can get my sound back. I cannot play any audio files such as wav, mp3 etc. no matter what application I use.
All I get is this alert box.
Can I download something that will restore my sound?
TIA
Steve.

Attachments

• rp_warning.jpg
    rp_warning.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 218
It may be you will have to uninstall and re-install your audio drivers.

Have you installed any new hardware/software recently? If so this may be causing the problem.

Found this by searching on Google for the error message.

"Open RealPlayer's Preferences. Then Check the sound card configuration. Your sound card may not be able to process multiple sounds at once, so if ESD (ESound Daemon) is running, the dsp is locked, so you cannot play another sound unless you use ESD or turn ESD off."

I don't have it on the computer here at work so can't test this.

I have RealPlayer on my computer and usually turn off all the preferences that enable it to take over your computer and access the Internet for updates and run at startup, etc. It's very invasive.

Alternatively, depending on your operating system, you might have a speaker icon in the system tray next to the clock. Double-click this and check that none of the mute boxes is ticked, such as the Wave Balance. If they are untick them.

What operating system are you using? Try and think back to what you did on your computer immediately prior to the problem happening.

If you have ME or XP you can also perform a System Restore.

I bet it's the Mute box ticked. Maybe installing something (RealPlayer?) has ticked the box unknown to you. I have seen this happen before, not necessarily with RealPlayer, but any programme that uses sound or relies on the sound settings being set a certain way.

Quicktime perhaps when I installed the software for my camera. I was having a couple of problems so deleted it in add/remove programs. Ever since then it's been mute!

My suspicion would be that QT in uninstalling has either messed up your sound drivers or changed the ESD settings as per Diane's first post. Try the ESD route first.

I'd be surprised (but not totally) if it was as simple as the Mute Box being ticked because normally that doesn't produce an error message you just don't get any sound. I tried turning the mute buttons on my system and Real Player worked quite happily but without sound. Having said that with Microsoft you never know.

I went to see Terminator III Rise of the Machines the other day (which I quite enjoyed). Just as well I didn't suddenly think of my computer while watching it because I would have just burst out laughing.

I was thinking it could be a combination of the ESD problem AND also that RealPlayer ticked the mute button.

Now that QuickTime has been mentioned, I suspect this could have something to do with it. In my previous post, I had numerous tech support phone calls about missing sound after installing our CD-ROMs. The mute box was invariably ticked. The software used QT.

So maybe QT took over some of the sound functions that RealPlayer uses and uninstalling QT has left RP without the instruction to use wave sounds, causing the error message. Try the RP preferences as above and also check the mute box in the sound settings.

I went to see T3 as well - it does make you wonder at how these machines are taking over our lives and where it will lead.

John, look to the bottom right of the last post where the green button says post reply. When you click this, you have at the bottom of the text insert box a button marked Browse...click this a select the jpg file for insertion then just click the Submit Reply button below that. Try to reduce the image size if possible so as not to slow everything up if you can though.

Attachments

• info.jpg
    info.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 176
Couldn't have put it better myself, Steve.

So, now that we've sorted out the hijacking of your thread ;) (only joking John) - did you sort your sound problem out yet?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back