• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MSBlaster, LOVSAN... (1 Viewer)

Draco

I'm spending a quiet day at my computer job today after this Internet Worm put me through a 12+ hour day yesterday. Our 500+ user network was infected within minutes when someone brought in a computer from outside. That rule about not bringing in computers and attaching them to our network is going to get stronger now. We had to shut down EVERY PC, clean our file servers, create an automated cleaner for the PCs when they came up...

Anyway, this Worm has "morphed" into at least two variants, at the time of this writing. It is bound to morph into several more. While it is not very destructive in its current forms, a variant could be released at any time that contains a destructive payload. I found a great Web site for anyone that is interested, or needs to get rid of this, or another, Worm/Virus/Trojan Horse... Here ya go:

http://virusall.com/news.html

Mark

Thanks Draco... I'll make use of that.

My home PC is infected, and in spite of all the assurances I've heard that it is not a particularly damaging worm, it is causing an absolute nightmare... one that I am becoming convinced is beyond my ability the solve short of a format and reinstall!!!

Funny guy, Steve!3:)
On the subject, I killed that stuff before it went to seed!:t: I found a combination of herbicides that contained 5%, or better, 2-4-D in the mix. Handy to know if anyone needs to kill Dodder.

birdman,
Sorry! Let me know if you want to try something less drastic.

Just after I posted this thread my computer, the lights... EVERYTHING turned off. Michigan was part of the huge power outage. We unplugged all of our network gear and went home. Ordinary folks were directing traffic at intersections. I couldn't call out because my long distance carrier was dead. We came back to work at different times early this morning and the network is up and running. One of our group had his PC fry when the power went down, or came back. I'm sure that we will have a few more. I'm hoping that thing about "coming in threes" isn't true!

Mark

JABBERWOCKY

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Methinks Lewis Carroll knew what was coming!

On a serious note, I just discovered an I-Worm lurking on my pc today. It's called Bugbear and it's primarily aimed at Financial sites. I don't know how I got it but apparently it is very adept at using IE and OE. It's a "snooper" and sends back all sorts of details. It also infects IE and causes a lot of problems accessing the net. More info at www.grisoft.com (free antivirus software). I managed to download a "removal" program and it worked. Just as well cos I wasted two days trying to sort it out!

BTW try www.zonelabs.com for FREE Firewall protection.

Al

Well after spending a couple of hours on line today trying to download the patch from Windows (impossible to even get to the site due to overwhelming demand I guess) I gave up and called my computer tech at the office and asked him to bring me the patch he had downloaded earlier in the week. Less than 3 minutes and I was okay. Also enabled the firewall in XP. Don't know how good it is but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

If you all kept upto date with your patches shouldn't have been a problem, use 'windows update' that's what its there for :)

All you need do is download the patch and install it, couple of minutes work, even on one pc which had the virus I managed to boot up download the patch and install it before the 60 sec reboot kicked in.

One thing i think may also work, but didn't try it was to boot into safe mode (no networking) and delete msblast.* from your hard disk.

No need to do anything drastic like reformatting.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back