Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The New Naturalist series

Old Sunday 20th January 2019, 16:25   #1
James Jobling

The New Naturalist series

I was going to tack this on to another NN thread, but the "latest" was by Andy over twelve months ago. I recently came across Coch-y-Bonddu Books, Machynlleth, Powys SY20 8DG, and was able to get from them NN17, NN51, and NN124 at very reasonable prices; their service was very efficient; the conditions of the books had been properly described in their on-line catalogue, were well-packed, and arrived within 48 hours. I am not in the habit of recommending booksellers, but make an exception on this occasion, being extremely pleased with this new addition to my suppliers.
Old Sunday 20th January 2019, 22:23   #2
andyadcock

A well known seller (to me anyway) James and obviously of good repute.

Anyone looking for the newest additions, especially prepublication offers, could do a lot worse than Speedyhen, although, at least one person I know has stated that he wasn't happy with the quality of the packaging, mine have thus far been fine.

https://www.speedyhen.com/Books

I will only recommend sellers who have consistently offered a good price and reliable service to me, over a period of time.

Last edited by andyadcock : Sunday 20th January 2019 at 22:27.
Old Monday 21st January 2019, 06:46   #3
WalterRayle
Emeritus Professor at the University of the Bearded Clam

I've decided to stop buying New Naturalists after recently buying 'The Burren'. I can no longer justify the expense for what they have become: I flicked through the whole book and worked out that when you take out the photos (at least one of which appears twice in the book) there are only 252 pages of text in a 464 page book, factor in that brand new they are currently retailing at 65 for the hardback (although I've never paid full price for any of mine) I think that's quite poor value for money.
Old Monday 21st January 2019, 13:23   #4
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterRayle View Post
I've decided to stop buying New Naturalists after recently buying 'The Burren'. I can no longer justify the expense for what they have become: I flicked through the whole book and worked out that when you take out the photos (at least one of which appears twice in the book) there are only 252 pages of text in a 464 page book, factor in that brand new they are currently retailing at 65 for the hardback (although I've never paid full price for any of mine) I think that's quite poor value for money.
Agree to a point but many people who buy them are collectors and see beyond the cost, almost an addiction!

You correctly point out that the cost of most new titles is 60-65 but I rarely ever pay more than 45 (free postage too) by taking advantage of prepublication offers such as offered by the seller I linked to above.

Some people habitually purchase from sellers such as NHBS, that's up to them but you will usually pay the full price plus postage in doing so.

I've also found Wordery to be competitive in relation new titles.

https://wordery.com/

If you're actually buying them to read, thorougly, why not go for the paperback version to keep the cost down?

Last edited by andyadcock : Monday 21st January 2019 at 13:27.
Old Monday 21st January 2019, 13:25   #5
James Jobling

Eschewing value for money, I believe most NN aficionados collect the series for the sheer pleasure of owning, holding and absorbing the various volumes. Forgive the lyrical waxing, but you cannot beat a stately row of NN titles smiling down from the bookshelf.

Last edited by James Jobling : Monday 21st January 2019 at 13:58.
Old Monday 21st January 2019, 14:31   #6
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jobling View Post
Eschewing value for money, I believe most NN aficionados collect the series for the sheer pleasure of owning, holding and absorbing the various volumes. Forgive the lyrical waxing, but you cannot beat a stately row of NN titles smiling down from the bookshelf.
Totally agree.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: