• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chris Packham CBE (1 Viewer)

Agree. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but he stands up for what he believes in and puts himself out in regards to conservation and raising awareness regarding nature. Also not afraid to challenge conservation authorities in certain areas.

This award also suggests the honours system is not completely broken yet.

Chris says what he thinks and as often as not his target is the Establishment (I thought he was great on the BBC this morning, getting punches in about BOP persecution and whaling among others :t: :clap: ) but he has still been honoured.

John

I'd love to know where he made the money to live in that lovely, thatched cottage, not conservation, is he paid that well at the BEEB?

I'd love to know where he made the money to live in that lovely, thatched cottage, not conservation, is he paid that well at the BEEB?

Andy,
He made a few bob when endorsing Nikon products ( bins, scopes and cameras ) for a few years. Obviously books, some public speaking and lectures, but no doubt quite a bit from Aunty B going back to The Really Wild Show days many moons ago.

Andy,
He made a few bob when endorsing Nikon products ( bins, scopes and cameras ) for a few years. Obviously books, some public speaking and lectures, but no doubt quite a bit from Aunty B going back to The Really Wild Show days many moons ago.

Can't imagine he's made enough to buy that cottage from what you describe Pat. Maybe family money or his wifes?

No enmity towards the bloke, I quite like him, just curious.

Am I alone in finding Chris Packham's Asperger's and Me television programme broadcast early in 2018 the most revealing and absorbing of all his TV appearances before or since.

Maybe he's living where he wants to live and the cottage is rented!

I saw that programme and found it absorbing as it tied in his early childhood with a fascination for nature, science and his trust for animals rather than humans....his book, something like " Hands in the Sparkle Jar" I found quite depressing.
He supports a previous companion's daughter in her endeavours with zoology but I think he's quite independent otherwise.
Met him briefly at Pensthorpe about 15 years ago when he was guest speaker for the UK Bird Carving Winners award at the exhibition held there.

For goodness sake, he's been at the top of his game for decades during which he's been in numerous programmes as a high profile TV personality/presenter, has written books, has written the odd bit of journalism and has had the chance to earn money in other ways so it's not surprising that he has got a pleasant house in a nice place (which, for all we know, may have been run down when he bought it) but what the hell does it matter? Frankly, how much he may have earnt over the years, where and how he lives is totally insignificant compared to his role in promoting and campaigning for conservation (on which he spends a good deal of his own cash). So bravo Chris Packham!

For goodness sake, he's been at the top of his game for decades during which he's been in numerous programmes as a high profile TV personality/presenter, has written books, has written the odd bit of journalism and has had the chance to earn money in other ways so it's not surprising that he has got a pleasant house in a nice place (which, for all we know, may have been run down when he bought it) but what the hell does it matter? Frankly, how much he may have earnt over the years, where and how he lives is totally insignificant compared to his role in promoting and campaigning for conservation (on which he spends a good deal of his own cash). So bravo Chris Packham!

Why have you got your knickers in a twist, it's merely curiosity FFS.

You liberal muppets really do like to stifle comment and opinion don't you, shuffle off back to ruffled feathers.

Last edited:

Well said John.:t:

A pretty much spot on assessment.

I don't know where Chris finds the energy to do all the stuff he does. It would leave me exhausted all the time. Wherever he gets his money he has certainly earned it.

is totally insignificant compared to his role in promoting and campaigning for conservation

I have no issue with who pays him what, or where he lives.
To me there seems a blindness to some of his weird attitudes in conservation.
He is outspoken and passionate, but he seems to have had a "its only worth conserving, if I think its worth conserving" view.
The outstanding example of this is his attitude to the Giant Panda, I seem to remember him saying that he'd happily eat the last one alive if the money spent on its conservation was redistibuted to more worthy causes.
The nene is lucky he thinks it more worthy, or he's not hungry.

On the other hand, there is a heap of good supporting evidence for those causes he espouses so I don't disagree with the gong, but he does seem to have his faults too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back