Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Chris Packham CBE

Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 08:05   #1
Farnboro John

Chris Packham CBE

New Year Honours List includes a CBE for Chris Packham for services to conservation, and quite right too.

John
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 08:41   #2
PYRTLE

Agree. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but he stands up for what he believes in and puts himself out in regards to conservation and raising awareness regarding nature. Also not afraid to challenge conservation authorities in certain areas.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 15:54   #3
Farnboro John

This award also suggests the honours system is not completely broken yet.

Chris says what he thinks and as often as not his target is the Establishment (I thought he was great on the BBC this morning, getting punches in about BOP persecution and whaling among others ) but he has still been honoured.

John
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 16:20   #4
andyadcock

I'd love to know where he made the money to live in that lovely, thatched cottage, not conservation, is he paid that well at the BEEB?
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 16:25   #5
Pam_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
New Year Honours List includes a CBE for Chris Packham for services to conservation, and quite right too.

John
Seconded!

Well deserved!

'Flying High' My Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 16:39   #6
PYRTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I'd love to know where he made the money to live in that lovely, thatched cottage, not conservation, is he paid that well at the BEEB?
Andy,
He made a few bob when endorsing Nikon products ( bins, scopes and cameras ) for a few years. Obviously books, some public speaking and lectures, but no doubt quite a bit from Aunty B going back to The Really Wild Show days many moons ago.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 17:01   #7
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
Andy,
He made a few bob when endorsing Nikon products ( bins, scopes and cameras ) for a few years. Obviously books, some public speaking and lectures, but no doubt quite a bit from Aunty B going back to The Really Wild Show days many moons ago.
Can't imagine he's made enough to buy that cottage from what you describe Pat. Maybe family money or his wifes?

No enmity towards the bloke, I quite like him, just curious.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 17:12   #8
crapbirder

Am I alone in finding Chris Packham's Asperger's and Me television programme broadcast early in 2018 the most revealing and absorbing of all his TV appearances before or since.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 17:29   #9
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2019

Maybe he's living where he wants to live and the cottage is rented!

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 17:30   #10
PYRTLE

I saw that programme and found it absorbing as it tied in his early childhood with a fascination for nature, science and his trust for animals rather than humans....his book, something like " Hands in the Sparkle Jar" I found quite depressing.
He supports a previous companion's daughter in her endeavours with zoology but I think he's quite independent otherwise.
Met him briefly at Pensthorpe about 15 years ago when he was guest speaker for the UK Bird Carving Winners award at the exhibition held there.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 18:13   #11
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:

John
I fully agree (even though he gave a free point to one of my challengers in the Bird Brain at the Birdfair thus denying me outright 2nd place (I'm not bitter)!
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 19:18   #12
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapbirder View Post
Am I alone in finding Chris Packham's Asperger's and Me television programme broadcast early in 2018 the most revealing and absorbing of all his TV appearances before or since.
Pat liked it so obviously not.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 19:19   #13
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by delia todd View Post
Maybe he's living where he wants to live and the cottage is rented!
Hmm, ........
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 20:49   #14
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
How much are you being paid by the Daily Mail to ask the question?

About the most irrelevant question asked on BF in 2018?
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 21:18   #15
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
How much are you being paid by the Daily Mail to ask the question?

About the most irrelevant question asked on BF in 2018?
Typical for 'ex-beeb'.............

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 29th December 2018 at 21:33.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 21:58   #16
John Cantelo

Quote:
For goodness sake, he's been at the top of his game for decades during which he's been in numerous programmes as a high profile TV personality/presenter, has written books, has written the odd bit of journalism and has had the chance to earn money in other ways so it's not surprising that he has got a pleasant house in a nice place (which, for all we know, may have been run down when he bought it) but what the hell does it matter? Frankly, how much he may have earnt over the years, where and how he lives is totally insignificant compared to his role in promoting and campaigning for conservation (on which he spends a good deal of his own cash). So bravo Chris Packham!

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 22:17   #17
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
For goodness sake, he's been at the top of his game for decades during which he's been in numerous programmes as a high profile TV personality/presenter, has written books, has written the odd bit of journalism and has had the chance to earn money in other ways so it's not surprising that he has got a pleasant house in a nice place (which, for all we know, may have been run down when he bought it) but what the hell does it matter? Frankly, how much he may have earnt over the years, where and how he lives is totally insignificant compared to his role in promoting and campaigning for conservation (on which he spends a good deal of his own cash). So bravo Chris Packham!
Why have you got your knickers in a twist, it's merely curiosity FFS.

You liberal muppets really do like to stifle comment and opinion don't you, shuffle off back to ruffled feathers.

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 29th December 2018 at 22:20.
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 00:08   #18
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Well said John.

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 07:49   #19
andreadawn

Quote:
A pretty much spot on assessment.

I don't know where Chris finds the energy to do all the stuff he does. It would leave me exhausted all the time. Wherever he gets his money he has certainly earned it.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 08:24   #20
hwinbermuda
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
is totally insignificant compared to his role in promoting and campaigning for conservation

I have no issue with who pays him what, or where he lives.
To me there seems a blindness to some of his weird attitudes in conservation.
He is outspoken and passionate, but he seems to have had a "its only worth conserving, if I think its worth conserving" view.
The outstanding example of this is his attitude to the Giant Panda, I seem to remember him saying that he'd happily eat the last one alive if the money spent on its conservation was redistibuted to more worthy causes.
The nene is lucky he thinks it more worthy, or he's not hungry.

On the other hand, there is a heap of good supporting evidence for those causes he espouses so I don't disagree with the gong, but he does seem to have his faults too.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 08:37   #21
PYRTLE

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, surely. Let's not gang up eh just because someone asks a question which some may find awkward.
Thank you.
P
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 08:45   #22
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwinbermuda View Post
I have no issue with who pays him what, or where he lives.
To me there seems a blindness to some of his weird attitudes in conservation.
He is outspoken and passionate, but he seems to have had a "its only worth conserving, if I think its worth conserving" view.
The outstanding example of this is his attitude to the Giant Panda, I seem to remember him saying that he'd happily eat the last one alive if the money spent on its conservation was redistibuted to more worthy causes.
The nene is lucky he thinks it more worthy, or he's not hungry.

On the other hand, there is a heap of good supporting evidence for those causes he espouses so I don't disagree with the gong, but he does seem to have his faults too.
People have issues with the RSPB as well but in general even they would admit it does a ton of good work. We'd miss it if it wasn't there!

Funnily enough I kind of agree with what Chris said about the Giant Panda: its an animal that needs an enormous amount of space with very specific habitat requirements and breeding biology that is enough to make anyone tear their hair out. The Chinese have cracked the last issue in captivity and can churn out Giant Pandas in large quantities, but they haven't anywhere to put them and are never likely to.

However it's clear to me that what Chris really meant was that giving all the attention to a species because it looks good according to some meaningless human system of aesthetic values is no way to judge the conservation requirements of an ecosystem. Or the world. I don't think for a minute he was actually anti-panda, or had it confused with antipasti.

John
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 08:57   #23
pratincol

Quote:
Couldn't agree more John.
Well done Chris. You deserve it.
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 11:33   #24
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Quote:
Can't imagine he's made enough to buy that cottage from what you describe Pat. Maybe family money or his wifes?

No enmity towards the bloke, I quite like him, just curious.
Which one? The New Forest cottage, or the one in France?
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 11:44   #25
hwinbermuda
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
People have issues with the RSPB as well but in general even they would admit it does a ton of good work. We'd miss it if it wasn't there!

Now, there's a real tricky path to walk.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: