• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (4 Viewers)

Just one reminder of this charismatic little gem. I could watch them all day as they scratch round the car park.
Mike

Attachments

• 82339EEE-CA9D-4508-B1F5-F0561FD54D11.jpeg
    82339EEE-CA9D-4508-B1F5-F0561FD54D11.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 53
Thanks Mike and Jane. A great 2 days despite the rain, cold and wind.
Highlights included number of Pintails, closeup Flamingos, Alpine Accentors ( including 2 around our car in the carpark!) and Mike surviving being blown off the Mirador.
We still need you Mike

View from the new hide at Albufereta. Several scrapes have been created and the small islands will provide space from nesting birds.
It’s looking good already and will no doubt mature into one of the best places to view some great birds. Already we have seen some scarce species with 12 Pintails and several Greater Flamingoes present.
Mike

Attachments

• 35D99CBC-6BFF-4AFA-85F4-AFE62B2885CD.jpg
    35D99CBC-6BFF-4AFA-85F4-AFE62B2885CD.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 47
La Gola

Hello!
Here we are again.
Nice to see you Mikes!

On February the Bird Center is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 9am to 3pm.
I attach the birds seen today.
kind regards,
Cristina.

Attachments

• 100_2682.jpg
    100_2682.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 46
Excited about coming to Mallorca for the first time in two weeks. It's a family holiday, but should be able to fit in some birding. I have a burning question, which is how long a walk is it roughly, to the Balearic Warbler zone in the Boquer Valley, from the nearest parking area? We'll have a 5 year old with us, so distance and difficulty of the trail could be an issue.

Hi Larry,

Mike will give you more info but its quite a waydown the path..some 30 minutes normally without a youngster from the house at the top of the car park. There are several gates, but these are open.
Its quite stoney and not great for kids but clear paths and not dangerous.
Car park is a rough piece of ground oppositethe roundabout, but I always park on the sideroad just off the main road.
Hope this helps

Hi Larry, I have nothing much to add to Mike’s comments.
I agree it’s far better to park outside, the car park is very rough and can damage your car easily.
It’s at least 30 mins strolling time as I remember those days of having five year olds in tow.
Whilst the Bóquer Valley is very pleasant, there are many other places to see Balearic Warbler without the walk. I’m not so familiar with the north so if anyone can help Larry with an alternative site, that would be great.
Home now after a fabulous three day break birding in the north in the company of some great people.
Mike

Anyone any idea what the prey maybe?
Whatever it was, the Gull swallowed it in one.
Mike

Attachments

• 669524DF-CA7F-46E0-B4DB-7217C13B9B6C.jpg
    669524DF-CA7F-46E0-B4DB-7217C13B9B6C.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 74
After the cold,wet and windy weekend plus the company of Mike, I needed sunshine,peace and quiet, cake and birds!

The Roman Ruins at Alcudia are a great family visit.

Birds seen today included:

Kestrels, Hoopoe, Cattle Egrets, Blackredstarts, Serins, Goldfinches, Song Thrush, Robins, Cetti and Sardinian Warblers.

Over 70 White wagtails seen; and possible Dunnock in the bushes.

Attachments

• 17B55D09-62A7-434C-BC88-225B73824A40.jpg
    17B55D09-62A7-434C-BC88-225B73824A40.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 33
Regards to all those who post on here- nice to see La Gola open again- Bon Dia Cristina. I remember the first time we came to Mallorca in 2000 with a 1 year old in a buggy- we got the buggy and child to the end of the Boquer and saw the Warblers but a couple of years later the buggy suffered a terminal breakdown on the sea front near where the sand sculptures are in the spring/summer, probably weakened by the exploits in 2000. Sadly I won't be on the island this year but I am hoping to make it in 2020, God willing, as my wife and I have a Silver Wedding to celebrate, and at least one of our sons will be at University. We could even come outside the school holidays for the first time and save some money at last. Regards- Hugh Matthews

Hi Larry, I have nothing much to add to Mike’s comments.
I agree it’s far better to park outside, the car park is very rough and can damage your car easily.
It’s at least 30 mins strolling time as I remember those days of having five year olds in tow.
Whilst the Bóquer Valley is very pleasant, there are many other places to see Balearic Warbler without the walk. I’m not so familiar with the north so if anyone can help Larry with an alternative site, that would be great.
Home now after a fabulous three day break birding in the north in the company of some great people.
Mike

Cheers Mike, looking forward to perusing this thread from now on :t:

An afternoon seawatch from Porto Petro produced over 350 Balearic shearwaters but only two very distant larger shearwaters, probably Scopoli’s.
Also 3 Gannet and one Sandwich tern which is extremely scarce at this site.
It was very calm after some very high winds recently.
Mike

A morning walk with the ESRA North group around Campanet, and an afternoon walk along Can Cuarassa Road.
Weather was kind and warm.
Birds seen included distant views of Griffon Vultures, Booted Eagles, Red Kites, Kestrels, Cattle Egrets, Green Sandpipers, Common Snipe, Red Blackstarts, Stonechats, Song Thrush, Great tit, White wagtails, Fan tailed warblers, Water pipits, Cetti Warblers and Robins galore.

Highlight was a blue tit at Campanet.

Mike

Last edited:
It’s not just about the birds.
Being out and about so much, there are other wonderful things to see.
This was the sky tonight as I got home from failing to see the local Woodcock.
Almond blossom now in bloom and lots of fields are covered in wild flowers.
Mike

Attachments

• 4312B418-0BCC-42DB-A519-81F6F3A9CEF1.jpg
    4312B418-0BCC-42DB-A519-81F6F3A9CEF1.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 62
Hello all. I had to delay my trip planned for this week until next week. Arriving on 11th and really looking forward to being back. I note that information centre at La Gola is reopen and I will certainly be calling in to see whats about
David

Afternoon walk at La Victoria (Alcudia).
Normally a good site for Dunnocks, Goldcrest and Bluetits.
Not today.
Birds seen included Ravens, Firecrests, YL and Audouins Gulls, Blackredstarts, Crossbills, Great tits, Song thrush, Robins.
Pleasent walk in the sunshine

Attachments

• 69BD6AFF-DA4C-47AF-B85A-626E95795CB9.jpg
    69BD6AFF-DA4C-47AF-B85A-626E95795CB9.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 49
Trip down South Part1
Visit to Lighthouses at Colonia St. Jordi and Cap de ses Salines.
Beautiful day but quiet on birding front.
Birds seen included Gannets (10), Red Kites, Kestrels, Audouin and YL Gulls, Turnstones, Shags, Cormorant, Thekla larks, Song Thrush, Blackredstarts, Sardinian Warblers.
Mike

Attachments

• 6AC640F4-F856-4A3F-BEED-5A727E05B243.jpeg
    6AC640F4-F856-4A3F-BEED-5A727E05B243.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Trip down South Part 2

Met the iconic Mike M for an inspiring trip around the polo pitch and Colonia sant Jordi. His knowledge of sites and birds of Mallorca is unparalleled acording to my wife..but what does she know!

Birds seen included Black Kite, Red kites, Booted Eagle, Goldern Plovers, so many sky larks, meadow pipits and Hoopoes. Many linnets, goldfinches, white wagtails, Song Thrush and Mistle Thrush and serins flying around. Audouin Gulls were abundant along the coast.

Wonderful morning

Thanks Mike

Attachments

• 218C8799-33BE-4F3B-BDE1-2D9883C4FDD0.jpeg
    218C8799-33BE-4F3B-BDE1-2D9883C4FDD0.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 8AD5F7C5-3F46-4776-AD9A-33BC3D54F3B2.jpeg
    8AD5F7C5-3F46-4776-AD9A-33BC3D54F3B2.jpeg
    420.6 KB · Views: 24
  • C225FD82-D740-4E2C-BFED-4149466E853C.jpeg
    C225FD82-D740-4E2C-BFED-4149466E853C.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 21
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back