• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Woodpecker, Worcestershire Uk where to find them (1 Viewer)

Ianbadger

Hi Everyone,

I live in Worcestershire Uk and never yet seen a Green Woodpecker does anyone know where I can see them and happy to travel. I’ve seen the Great Spotted Woodpecker close to home but not the other two varieties. Please comment much appreciated

If you're ever up in Cumbria they can be seen or more commonly heard,yaffling on Farelton Knot [just off M6 Kendal junction] and Scout Scar/Helsington Barrow near Kendal where they are more or less guaranteed places. Both locations are covered in ant hills, a favourite source of food, for this species.

Last edited:
Oh Fantastic I’m coming up on holiday at the Lake District in July for 4 days. These two places you mentioned are they in a reserve or woodland. That would be great and especially if they are regular visitors to the area. I don’t suppose you have the full address for these 2 locations. I want to photograph them if possible and I could upload onto the site. I have my 600mm lens and hide if need be. Thank you for getting back to me. ��

Hi Ian, I saw two by Grimley a couple of days ago and have also spotted them frequently in Tiddesley Wood, near Pershore. Atb, Steve.

Oh Fantastic I’m coming up on holiday at the Lake District in July for 4 days. These two places you mentioned are they in a reserve or woodland. That would be great and especially if they are regular visitors to the area. I don’t suppose you have the full address for these 2 locations. I want to photograph them if possible and I could upload onto the site. I have my 600mm lens and hide if need be. Thank you for getting back to me. ��

Scout Scar- SD 5090. Its not a reserve. The scar is a limestone escarpment.

Park in large lay just past the bridge over Kendal by pass on your left on minor road from Kendal to Brigsteer. You'll see a very narrow gap through the wall by the footpath sign on the opposite side of the road. Head across the field and you'll come to kissing gate. Keep on going up. When you reach the next kissing gate look for an unmarked path on your left which heads diagonally south west. The area to your left along here is good for Green Woodpecker.
You will see the large woodland Helsington Barrow ahead. It's a National Trust wood, open to the public. Walk towards it. When you reach the edge of the wood turn right and walk along the boundary edge to the top of Scout Scar. You'll see an entrance to Helsington Barrow wood just where the boundary wall turns left. Descend into the wood. Green Woodpecker very common here along here especially the north /south main path thru the middle of the wood.
As you take this walk look for any of the many areas with ant hills.
Seldom failed to hear or see Green Woodpecker around here.

Farleton Knott SD SD5380[ NT open reserve]

Drive along A6070 towards Holme. Park opposite Holme Park Farm in layby just at end of side road with a small collection of houses.
Walk up path to Holme Park Fell. Carry on east with the quarry to your right and the limestone cliff to your left. As the limestone cliff comes to an end you'll see a large farm gate. Carry on thru here where you enter a more wooded area. Green Woodpecker are often here. Then return to the gate and just to your right you'll see a wide track heading north.This goes round Newbiggin Crag. Head north till you reach a large stile which crosses a wall . You'll see a path heading west towards Farelton Fell. The path eventually turns south along the bottom of the cliff and takes you back to the path to Holme Park Farm and your car.

Records from 2018 to give you ideas for other areas[ there's no shortage of them round here!].

8th April- 2 yaffling Green Woodpecker Holme Park Fell and Farleton Fell SD 5479 . 6th June - 1 Green Woodpecker. 26th July- 4 Green Woodpecker

9th April 1 Green Woodpecker Heversham SD 4883

22nd May 1 Green Woodpecker Low Fold, Crook SD 4593 also 26th July, and 8th August

29th May- 1 Green Woodpecker Bannisdale-NY 0550

26th July 1 Green Woodpecker Beckside, Crook SD 4593

26th July- 1 Green Woodpecker Park End Moss SD 4888

8th August- 1 Green Woodpecker- High Leys, Crook SD 4593

27th August 1 Green Woodpecker Scout Scar SD 4991

2017 records -

25th March-1 Green Woodpecker Garth Row,Lyth Valley SD4791

17th April-1 Green Woodpecker Garth Row,Lyth Valley SD4791

17th May 3 Green Woodpecker Scout Scar -SD4991

10th May 3 Green Woodpecker Low Fold near Crook SD4593

18th May and 2nd August- 1 Green Woodpecker Holme Park Fell SD5479

20th June- 1 Green Woodpecker Bannisdale-NY 0550.26th June 3 Green Woodpecker

25th June- 1 Green Woodpecker Natland SD5190

1st September- 2 Green Woodpecker Scout Scar SD4991

1st September 2 Green Woodpecker Helsington Barrows SD4991

Always best to avoid weekends or school holidays but many of these places are quiet most of the time.

Last edited:
It’s around 25 years since I lived in Worcester but Castlemorton common was a good site for Green Woodpecker I seem to recall. I’ve attached a link to a site page that may help, includes Lesser spotted Woodpecker too.

Hi
Many thanks for those directions i will take them when i'm away on holiday this July. Thank you for giving me your time and cant wait to see one and hopefully get a few photos. Cheers

Hi Paul

I don't live that far from there i will take a look, would you still see them in the winter months. Thanks for getting back to me.

Hi Steve

where in Grimley did you see them as i could take a drive out next weekend to have a look for them. Will have a look at Tiddesley Wood as well.

Thank you from Ian

Hi

I agree Castlemorton Common is a good bet. If you don't mind a short drive three of my favourite haunts regularly turn up a green woodie; Upton Warren and Brandon Marsh (Wildlife Trust) and RSPB Middleton Lakes (bit more of a drive, but turn right after the bridge over the canal and there is usually one in the trees on the way to the meadow walk).
Julie

Thanks Paul will see where this is on the map. Can you see them during the winter months as well. Not to far from the house either. Thankyou

Hi Ian, At Grimley I parked in the Wagon Wheel pub car park, then walked back up the road and through the metal gate then followed the path which runs parallel to the reservoir. I spotted one Green Woodpecker in the trees on the right and another in the wooded area near the fishing pools if that makes sense!

It's also a good birding spot anyway, well worth a visit, as you probably know - I'm something of a novice but watched a Kingfisher hunting by the fishing pool as well as spotting Jack Snipe and loads of duck species as well.

Hi Julie
Thank you seen my first Greater Spotted Woodpecker at Middleton lakes a couple of weeks ago. was so pleased as i got a good photo as well which was a bonus. I really like Middleton lakes and first time was two weeks ago and seen a woodpecker on my first visit. So if you walk over the canal bridge and turn right you can often see the Green Woodpeckers here. I will have to try out Brandon Marsh ive been fishing there a few times over the years again is this a good bet as well to see one. have mentioned Castlemorton Common is this in the village the common and is it easy to find as i will drive next weekend and take a look. Can you see them during the winter months? many thanks Ian

Attachments

• 49213099_10156917743869395_1295354165014298624_n.jpg
    49213099_10156917743869395_1295354165014298624_n.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi Lorca
Thanks for getting back to me, i will go and visit this place next weekend, sounds like a good area for the Green Woodpecker especially if you seen two of them. I so dearly want to see one and i will take my camera see if i can get a photo or not. I love kingfishers could you get close enough to take a photo, sounds a good place for birds in general Im a novice too so no worries. Is it much of a walk to the reservoir looking forward to going there who runs the reservoir and do you have to pay to get in. I'm a member of the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust if its part of that. Thank you

They tend to be quiet in winter, so are hard to find and see. Once they start spring territorial calling ('yaffling') in late March and April they are noisy, and far easier to find.

They're calling regularly in our local park in Bristol at the moment, so worth familiarising yourself with a recording of what they sound like, if you haven't done so already. Should be able to find one 'yaffling' easily on youtube, or certainly xenocanto

I feel like this was a much more common bird in my childhood. I think I only had 1 visual and 2 heard-only sightings on my last month-long trip to the UK!

It is increasing, slowly, in NE England :t:
Well, I'm glad to hear that.
I was going to write that it is a sad sign of the times when a member has to ask where to find Green Woodpecker (which was a very common bird in Bucks in the 50s/60s) in Worcestershire.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back