• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk - 17th-19th January 2003 (1 Viewer)

WelshFalcon

I arrived in Norfolk on Friday 17th Jan, mid morning, and made my way to my first stop at Titchwell. It was a dry, bright day but with strong winds. 3 hours later, when I left, I had seen 50 species – with “Sammy” the black-winged stilt the obvious highlight.

In mid afternoon, I arrived at Holkham , a few miles East along the coast. Having never been to Norfolk before, I was amazed at the numbers of pink-footed geese together with brent and white-fronted geese in the fields off Lady Anne Drive. But primarily, I was here to see shore lark, snow bunting and twite.

As I walked onto the saltings, a mixed flock of twite and goldfinch were feeding restlessly not far from the boardwalk. An hour later, there were still no signs of shore lark or snow bunting – so I turned my scope seawards and saw velvet scoter amongst the rafts of common scoter, as well as great crested grebe and mergansers.
As I walked back again over the saltings, there were still no signs of shore lark and snow bunting, and I spoke to many people who had also scoured the area and failed to locate them. As the light faded I left, disappointed - but there was always the next day. My spirits were lifted somewhat by the sight and sound of the pink-foots leaving their feeding grounds by the thousands – a sight that is truly “Norfolk in Winter”.

Saturday - beautiful blue skies, a lighter wind, and back in Holkham by 8 am. Within minutes, I saw a flock of c.60 shore lark, and as I scanned through them, a stunning male snow bunting. Each time they took flight it was a wonderful sight to see the sun glinting off the wings and tail….and then to get shore lark, snow bunting and twite in my scope all at once was unforgettable. A look out to sea gave better views of scoter and two red throated divers.

As I arrived back near the car park, I was called over by someone who had just seen a waxwing land only a few yards away. I’ve always been fascinated by this odd-looking, but stangely beautiful bird, which I had only ever seen in books and on tv, so to see my first one at such close quarters was superb. We were soon joined by a flock of c.30 humans, and the obliging bird came to drink from a puddle only a few metres from us, and flew into a tree right above our heads – just in case we hadn’t seen it yet. My day was getting better and better.

I went up to the woodland of Holkham Hall, to the tawny owl roost, where an obliging bird was nicely visible – once you knew where to look! The woods were alive with woodpeckers, but only great spotted were seen, the lessers keeping themselves hidden away from me.

On Saturday afternoon, I visited Cley Next the Sea – I had been misguidedly told that avocets only winter at Breydon Water, so to see them at Cley was an unexpected bonus. I’ve always maintained that no picture, painting or photograph can ever quite capture the elegance of an avocet. Water pipit was pointed out to me on an adjacent field – I’ll be honest, I’d never have picked it out myself!

It was now time to head for Stiffkey – to try to end a superb day on another high. It took about half an hour for the yellow-browed warbler to come out to play, but when it emerged with a family of long-tailed tits, it fed actively and visibly for a good 15 minutes before I had to go. I had a date with an even more important visitor – the pallid harrier.

The walk from Stiffkey along the coast to Warham saltmarsh was not exactly a lonely affair! By 3 pm there must have been over 200 people lined up waiting for the harriers to come in to roost. Unfortunately, it began clouding over, and the harriers stayed pretty distant in the failing light. The pallid harrier spent time with 3 female hen harriers, giving good opportunity to compare the sizes and the styles of flight, but it was difficult to pick out the plumage in the failing light and due to the distance. The two hours spent watching the raptors also gave us views of marsh harriers, two peregrines, (one of which made a kill out over the beach) a merlin, kestrel, a short eared owl and a very obliging barn owl.

This was easily the best day’s birdwatching I had ever had. I could go home the following morning quite happy with what I’d seen.

Sunday morning was dark, grey and very wet. I was going to make my way home, but had time for a couple of brief stops along the way. I reached Hunstanton South Beach about ½ an hour after high tide. There were no purple sandpipers on the slipway, but a walk along the deserted sea-wall finally yielded one picking out food on one of the groynes. There were sanderling scurrying amongst the waves and eider duck only a few metres out to sea.

Next stop was the ‘Wolferton Triangle’ – ½ an hour sheltering (unsuccessfully) under the trees from the rain was finally rewarded with a pair of golden pheasant scurrying through the undergrowth, and a later single male perched up on a fallen tree.

My final stop was at Abbey Farm in Flitcham – a real jewel of a site. The resident little owl was perched on a fallen tree opposite the hide, a male hen harrier flew only metres in front of the hide giving a superb view, I also saw tree sparrow, yellowhammer, Egyptian goose and water rail. We were waiting in the hide for the wintering rough-legged buzzard, but to no avail. (It was as I left that I was told it had been circling the fields out of sight from the hide, whilst I was inside).

As I drove home, I reflected on the additions to my life list – black-winged stilt, pink-footed goose, twite, snow bunting, waxwing, water pipit, yellow-browed warbler, pallid harrier, purple sandpiper and golden pheasant.

It’s difficult to pick out one highlight on such a trip – but three things stand out in my mind. The waxwing has to take top spot as my favourite bird of the trip; the raptor roost at susk at Warham was my favourite site, as I love raptors. Finally, the friendship, camaraderie and willingness to share information by Norfolk birders made them the friendliest bunch of people I’ve come across. Always willing to share knowledge and local information which made the trip so memorable.
As a relative novice, my life list was well below 200 before my trip. It’s only after adding up my totals that I now found myself on 199! – if only I’d looked harder for the corn buntings, or driven all that way to see the common cranes, or been looking the other way when the rough legged buzzard was around. What if the weather had been calmer and I’d seen bearded tits at Cley, or if I’d been able to get my scope out to sea at Hunstanton for long-tailed duck? So many ‘what if’s’ , but in reality, I has seen 112 species, had the best birdwatching weekend possible, and I wasn’t there for a race to get the most species. I have to leave something to go back for next year!

Sounds like you had a fantastic birding weekend in Norfolk. There would be many firsts for me too from that list.
I hope to get a trip down there this year, but it will be a couple of months away yet.

Wonderful place isn't it. I try to go there at every opportunity I can and you certainly maximized all the best places. Congrats on everything you saw especially the Golden Pheasant as I have yet to see one at that site, and I have tried dozens of times. My succesful site for these birds is Wayland Wood near to Watton. What time did you actually see them?

Would you believe that my year list stands at 112 also but I have done more travelling than you to get that list so your 112 over the weekend is good.

Glad you enjoyed what is, arguably, my favorite birding area in Britain.

We will have to do an early April meet in that area starting at Weeting Heath for the Stone Curlew.

Thanks for your reply. I know could have seen so many more species if I'd driven round like a fool to see cranes at Horsey, done more sea wathing to see different divers, grebes and long tailed ducks. If I'd stopped to see he smew S of Kings Lynn etc. but tht wasnt the purpose of my trip..... I went to enjoy the birds, th scenery and the walks. I got as much from the trip as I wanted and yes it is a great trip. The Saturday was easily my best ever bird watching day - from the snow bunting at 8 am, to the pallid harrier at dusk

Regarding the golden pheasant, it was around 9.30am......I saw several cars parked at te roadside with people sitting in them, but I got out and went for a walk, as I slowly made my way through the woods the pair scuttled away from some rhododendron bushes very close to me. When I got back to my car, people came from their cars and asked if I'd seen any pheasant. It sems they were waiting for them to emerge from the woods and were sitting in their cars to avoid the rain, wimps!......and my activity must have sent them the other way!...oops!

also John, I forgot to say - my year list is at 128 because down here in Wales I see spoonbill, great grey shrike, red kite, buzzard and more!

Great coverage for someone who's never been there, you musta done some good research. I love those breaks where you notch up many lifers too.

What a fantastic trip! I really envy you. If you can get there from Wales, surely I can get to Norfolk from London? Who did you go with by the way - were they friwends or was it an organised trip? We really must have an official BF trip there one day.

Anyway, great read, great weekend.

Thanks.

Yes Colin your advice ws gratefully received - and I combined people's advice with details of reserves and sites off RSPB and Fatbirder.com etc.

I was lucky that the b&b I stayed at had a book which I think was called "Best Birdwatching Sites in Norfolk" . Superb local knowledge - for example, it even said which branch of which tree would have a roosting tawny owl in Holkham Hall...and was right!!....pretty accurate stuff!

I didn't go on an organised trip, and I travelled alone - however there were so many friendly birders around that I was always chatting to someone, and exchanging advice on where we'd been and where we hoped to go and what we hoped to see. I also get daily e mails from birdline, so for a couple of weeks I'd been concentrating on what was showing up in Norfolk and planning my trip that way. (My ex wife used to say that holidays were planned like a military exercise!!)

I met birders on day trips from West Midlands, Sussex, & Wiltshire, plus many on weekend organied birding trips. So Peter, no excuse why you cant set off at 6 am on Saturday, and be on Titchwell by first light. I found i so much more relaxing to spend 3 hours at Titchwell than to run round the county looking for extra sightings etc. Definitely not my last visit to Norfolk.

Welsh Falcon

I hate to put a damper on your trip. You stated that you went into the woods to look for the Pheasants and you called the other birders wimps. Unfortunately there is an unwritten rule in that wooded area that states that you don't go looking for them. That is why birders stay in their cars. It stops disturbance of the birds. I am not having a go because you didn't know any different, as I imagine quite a few other birders wouldn't know. I am surprised the birders that stayed in their cars didn't say anything.

Thanks for that comment re the golden pheasants - I was told by a local birder that he always goes into the woods at this point - and he told me exactly where to park. Of ourse I would never have gone near the woods in breeding season etc. and only did it in good faith.

However I take on board what you say - consider me suitably admonished

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back