• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird in the air - Cape May NJ, USA (1 Viewer)

plnelson

This was a grab shot with a noisy digital camera, cropped and oversharpened, so the image quality is not up to my standards. It was taken near the beach in Cape May NJ in May. It's some common bird like a starling, but can someone confirm exactly what it is?

http://pnart.com/temp/DSC_0011aM.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Actually, a not so common bird. I believe it is a Purple Martin. Juvenile or young female. Note the short curved bill, but relatively wide mouth and mildly forked tail.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Actually, a not so common bird. I believe it is a Purple Martin. Juvenile or young female. Note the short curved bill, but relatively wide mouth and mildly forked tail.

Best,
Jim

Thanks! That would be nice! I was trying to figure out why I was keeping that photo around (I took it a few years ago). There were purple martin houses in the vicinity but we didn't see any sign of occupancy at the time.

Here's a Jim Fenton photo of a purple martin in flight that seems to support your ID
http://i.pbase.com/v3/38/391838/2/46273278.PMFFlyR.jpg

And if that is one of your "junk" shots, we'd like to see some of your good ones! Agree on ID.

Thanks! I've started a page on my website where I'm adding some of my nature photos here. I have more that I haven't got around to putting up yet.

Note that I do a variety of photography, including studio still-life, fashion, stock, and other work (it's just a hobby) but that some parts of my portfolio are not "family friendly" or "work-safe" so exercise caution if you explore other parts of my website.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back