• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two moths for ID, Farnborough (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

I can't quite work these out but they may be easy for some others.

First is a carpet and I thought would be no trouble but I just can't quite match it up...

Second is a beauty but seems both too small and not quite right for Willow which normally predominates here. Bic biro lid for scale.

Grateful for any assistance!

Cheers

John

Attachments

• 7T8A2971.JPG
    7T8A2971.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 31
  • 7T8A2978.JPG
    7T8A2978.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 40
I can't quite work these out but they may be easy for some others.

First is a carpet and I thought would be no trouble but I just can't quite match it up...

Second is a beauty but seems both too small and not quite right for Willow which normally predominates here. Bic biro lid for scale.

Grateful for any assistance!

Cheers

John

I'm going with Common Carpet and Brussel's Lace, John.

I had a lot of battles with Common Carpet in my first year but I learned that they have a number of broods that overlap with each other making them a continuous presence throughout the summer. Your 'beauty' is at a bit of an odd angle, but I think its paleness and that smudgy mark at the bottom of the wing (I'm sure there's a technical term for that ;)) is the hint for me.

I had a lot of battles with Common Carpet in my first year but I learned that they have a number of broods that overlap with each other making them a continuous presence throughout the summer. Your 'beauty' is at a bit of an odd angle, but I think its paleness and that smudgy mark at the bottom of the wing (I'm sure there's a technical term for that ;)) is the hint for me.

I think you're right about the Common Carpet, thank you very much for that!

The other: I looked at your suggestion and it still didn't quite seem to fit but then my eye fell on Grey Birch, which I'd not considered earlier. That seems very close indeed, with the four leading edge marks (and the shape of them) pretty much identical, and things like the diffuse spot at the outer trailing edge of the forewing correct where it is absent in Brussels Lace. What do you think?

Maybe someone else would like to chip in!

Cheers

John

Never had Grey Birch, it looks a lot more elongated and pointy winged than the book shows, must be the angle of the shot?

Yep. Grey Birch. Had never heard of that one till just now. It hasn't crossed my path in the Plymouth area AFAIK although I see from the distribution map on UK moths, they should be around. Off the top of my head, and I have seen some colour variations in the half-dozen I've seen, Brussel's Lace would be more triangular in shape and with a more complex pattern.

Only in the South, single brooded in the North.

Only in the South, single brooded in the North.

How about in the middle where you are then, Andy? ;)

I just looked at UK moths and I see the wording is different from my first edition Lewington, which spoke of 2-3 broods overlapping. I don't have the book to hand so can't check if I remember that correctly. I find it fascinating the deeper one delves into the Natural World to find the 'rules' that are 'fixed' versus the ones that are 'flexible'. For instance I was in N-E England briefly during the heatwave two summers ago, and a friend of mine who's been following these things for years was delighted to find fresh Holly Blues in midsummer for only the second time in 20 years. In some parts of the country this still leaves time for a much smaller third brood in late Sept/Oct but again, that's largely weather dependent, of course.

How about in the middle where you are then, Andy? ;)

I just looked at UK moths and I see the wording is different from my first edition Lewington, which spoke of 2-3 broods overlapping. I don't have the book to hand so can't check if I remember that correctly. I find it fascinating the deeper one delves into the Natural World to find the 'rules' that are 'fixed' versus the ones that are 'flexible'. For instance I was in N-E England briefly during the heatwave two summers ago, and a friend of mine who's been following these things for years was delighted to find fresh Holly Blues in midsummer for only the second time in 20 years. In some parts of the country this still leaves time for a much smaller third brood in late Sept/Oct but again, that's largely weather dependent, of course.

The earliest I've ever had it is 26th May and the latest 4th Sept, so double brooded here at least. But where does 'North' begin, probably North of the Midlands?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back