• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bino dealers in the countryside (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
One of the best pieces of advice on Bird Forum that is repeated and repeated is to try binos for yourself and so discover which models work for you.

This is absolutely true but trying out binos inside crowded shops or peering down city streets, with tall buildings all around so you can't get any feel for the field of view and no natural things to look at, just bricks, concrete and glass with maybe some signage, doesn't help to get a feel for how the binos will perform in the natural world.

But some dealers are situated in the country with surroundings far more helpful to budding bino buyers. Why don't we help each other by listing dealers like this on here?

I will make a start with two:

Focus Optics near Coventry, UK. Go to: http://www.focusoptics.eu/
Cley Spy, on the north Norfolk coast UK. Go to: https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/

If you know of any dealers in rural situations like these, please post details in this thread.

Lee

Last edited:
One of the best pieces of advice on Bird Forum that is repeated and repeated is to try binos for yourself and so discover which models work for you.

This is absolutely true but trying out binos inside crowded shops or peering down city streets, with tall buildings all around so you can't get any feel for the field of view and no natural things to look at, just bricks, concrete and glass with maybe some signage, doesn't help to get a feel for how the binos will perform in the natural world.

But some dealers are situated in the country with surroundings far more helpful to budding bino buyers. Why don't we help each other by listing dealers like this on here?

I will make a start with two:

Focus Optics near Coventry. Go to: http://www.focusoptics.eu/
Cley Spy, on the north Norfolk coast. Go to: https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/

If you know of any dealers in rural situations like these, please post details in this thread.

Lee

The Rspb reserves with a shop usually stock a wide range of Bins. I work at RSPB Old Moor and we are very happy to help people choose from a wide range we have .Once they have a short list we will go up to the cafe balcony so they can choose without looking through murky windows etc looking across the reserve. PLUS IF YOU BUY FROM A RSPB SHOP THE PROFIT FROM THE SALE GOES INTO THAT RESERVE FOR PROTECTING NATURE. They are self supporting if they have a shop and cafe.

I can thoroughly recommend (for those near London) InFocus Willow Farm, London Colney. They have a bird feeder set up outside the shop front at typical bird feeder distance and you can look far out over the adjoining fields to test binocular performance at distance. Most importantly, the staff are knowledgeable and helpful (in one case opening up the doors in February to let me test a 10x40BGAT*P* Dialyt against a 10x42FL for something like half an hour). Ironically though, virtually all my birding is done in the city, watching falcons perched on, or soaring over, cliffs of concrete and steel.

NB. I feel compelled to mention that the absolute worst surroundings I have ever looked through binoculars was the basement of Selfridges, where in their wisdom the binoculars department is located. Very short distance and glaring artificial light made it totally impossible to get any kind of feel for how what you were looking through would perform in the field. If any decision-makers there happen to be reading this I heartily recommend moving the sport optics department up to the top floor, or allow prospective buyers to observe from the roof, or at the very least through a high window...

Last edited:
Another good InFocus is the one at Rutland Water (small but well stocked shop, window that looks across the reserve, patient / helpful staff). You have to pay because it's part of the reserve, but if you're visiting anyway, you can combine a purchase with some birdwatching. Also, on the off chance there's something wrong with your purchase, you've given it a good test and you're on site to return it.
Tip for first time visitors-ignore the car park and drive straight up to the visitor centre, buy your permit, then go and park. It will save you walking / lugging your gear back and forth (you'll see what I mean when you get there)

One stop nature at Burnham Deep dale is pretty good, I've seen Pallas's and Yellow browed warblers, Siberian chiffchaff and Pied fly within 50m of the shop! I also rate Cley Spy and Focus Optics very highly, both deliver fantastic customer service and hold a great selection of new and used kit.

Pelee Wings in Ontario is located just a stone's throw from the gates of Point Pelee Park. Viewing options consist of a viewing deck that looks over Lake Erie and a wooded street-view on the other side, with resolution targets and feeders set up for testing.

Staff have been very accommodating in the past when I'm there just to compare and not [necessarily] to buy.

I can highly recommend a shop in Holland of which the name escapes me, but I do know they have one tree in the whole street. Don't know if this counts for non urban but I do know this is the best looked after tree in the entire region.

Jan

Feathers, near Robertsbridge in East Sussex - they even supply you with coffee whilst testing the binoculars, of which they have an impressive selection.

Great stuff, thanks to all contributors.

Keep them coming pals, dealers like this are like gold dust.

Lee

Optics4birding in Orange County, California has a nice little shop and a helpful owner. It's not in the country, but it is well-stocked and five steps to the front door presents a large, manicured parking lot (car park?) with a great variety of observing targets. Trees, flowers, grasses, mulch, rocks, angular buildings with architectural lines, cars, signage, and well, birds. Mostly LBJs, but still birds.

Bob I see what you mean, that is the picture I posted on here. The time is the same. I have not been there for quite a while. 2011 I think. We were close to there today. 322 going to Harrisburg.

Bob I see what you mean, that is the picture I posted on here. The time is the same. I have not been there for quite a while. 2011 I think. We were close to there today. 322 going to Harrisburg.

Hi Steve,

You had excellent pictures of the shop on Cloudy Nights 10 years ago in 2007: I got them off google.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/131259-trip-to-lost-creek-shoe-shop/

I wonder if the Shop still has as many binoculars as it did then? I never did make it down there to see it.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

I guess I was within about 4 miles of that shop Friday, we even stopped at McD's at the exit 35.
I have a Nikon 82ED spotter now just like that one in the picture, also still have the Nikon 50ED.

Regards, Steve

InFocus (already mentioned) have outlets at a number of WWT places and do regular events at nature reserves around the country (see their website for details).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back