• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new Rakia binoculars (1 Viewer)

terry2336

A few weeks ago I went to an antique store run by a gentleman who gets his stock buying out households from estates or old folks who are going into nursing homes. He had a new looking binocular case with the name Rakia on the outside in gilt paint(there was a date on it too, Dec 25 1959). There were binoculars in it.
He sold them to me for $65 since he had never heard of Rakia Binoculars.
I got out of there quickly with my treasure and opened it in the privacy of my car. Inside was the binocular strap still wrapped in tissue paper and a pair of never used Leitz Amplivid 6x24s. Even the case did not have a scratch on it. The glass of course is perfect. There is one tiny paint chip of about 1/8" which could be easily repaired. They are wonderful to use.
I think these must have been a christmas gift for Mr Rakia back in 1959. I don't think he appreciated them. Any comments?

Attachments

• amp4.jpg
    amp4.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 126
  • amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 138
  • amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 188
  • amp3.jpg
    amp3.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 120
Gosh that is pretty. I wish it was happening to me, but at least it's happening. Do drop us a line when you head for the nursing home.
Ron

11.4* TFOV in a roof prism bin must be pretty awesome except for the images being a bit soft and a bit dim due to the lack of p-coatings and MCs. Too bad Leica no longer makes that configuration. The case is uber kool, particularly with the gilded personalization.

"This incredibly well-received product, marked the end of porro-prism models at Leitz."

I wonder why it was so "incredibly well-received" when contemporary WF 8x30 porros surely would have beat it in resolution and brightness.

http://leicabirding.blogspot.com/2009/06/recent-anniversary-for-leica.html

In any case, you just stepped in it, buddy! Take a look at what they are selling for...

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEITZ-6X24-AMPLIVID-WIDE-ANGLE-BINOCULARS-MINT-COND-/350420074769

Brock

Last edited:
There are few binoculars I will pay more than $500 for, but a lightweight modern version of this would be my dream bin for hiking/forest birding. FWIW, the Leica Duovid is the only other "alpha" that I lust after too but $1000 is my absolute limit. Good catch!

"I wish it was happening to me"

Ron that sounds like a line in "White Christmas".:)

That is a great find, something you can treasure.

There are few binoculars I will pay more than $500 for, but a lightweight modern version of this would be my dream bin for hiking/forest birding.

I'd prefer something like an 8x24 myself, but I'd also settle for a modernized Amiplivid. That would be a lot of fun.

Hermann

No Bugatti Royale but one old gentleman who died here recently left 3 Ferrari prototypes and a Bugatti type 35 in his garage. Unfortunately his kids knew what they were'

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back