• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tawny owls - carrion feeders too? (1 Viewer)

Yes on a number of occasions i have witnessed our local tawny population eating roadkill close to the village late at night unfortunatly with grave consequences for at least one bird

Thanks chaps. It's just that I have a couple of frozen mice hanging around in the freezer - not appreciated by my other half, and I need to get rid of them. It's a toss up, the kite, the buzzard, or the tawny.

Hi
I think the best summary is that most owls are oppurtunist & take whatever is available, so answer would appear to be yes.

I know canibalism has occured in Tawny owl......gruesome... :eat:

SE.

Interesting question Helen
You don't say whether wild or captive but I assume you mean wild as I can't imagine anyone feeding live mice to a captive owl. :h?:
Our Tawny, Hero, was captive bred and came to us by way of rescue when the owner could no longer keep the bird.
As far as we know Hero has never even seen a live mouse let alone catch and eat one yet that was exactly what he did last year.

I released a live field mouse ,caught by my cat, at the bottom of the garden and the mouse ran straight back into the aviary, whereapon without a seconds hesitation Hero dropped on it from his perch catching it in one pounce. (talk about out of the frying pan!)

It would appear that these versatile predators are opportunists quite happy to take whatever is available, hence their widespread success .I am sure wild Tawnys would take road kill but I have never actually seen one though I've seen lots of Buzzards on roadkill carcasses.Every winter down here in Somerset every ploughed field has a buzzard rooting for worms and grubs That was a surprize when I first saw it.

Sedentary Hero would happily eat four mice or three 1 day old chicks a day if I let him so it gives an idea of a Tawny's daily intake requirements.

Last edited:
helenol said:
Thanks chaps. It's just that I have a couple of frozen mice hanging around in the freezer - not appreciated by my other half, and I need to get rid of them. It's a toss up, the kite, the buzzard, or the tawny.

I'd love to store dead mice in my freezer but MY other half won't let me either.

What's wrong with them :h?:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back