Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Olympus 590UZ

Old Friday 12th November 2010, 20:29   #1
Stephanie M

Olympus 590UZ

Hi. I use an olympus SP-590UZ with autofocus. However my pictures keep comming out very badly. The focus seems to change and the item I wish to photograph moves out of focus as can be seen from enclosed pictures. Anybody got any tips or ideas.
Stephie
Sorry about the pictures,files wont upload

Last edited by Stephanie M : Friday 12th November 2010 at 20:35.
Old Saturday 13th November 2010, 01:53   #2
njlarsen
Opus Editor

The problem with the pictures might be that they are too large: try to reduce the number of pixels to about 850 on the longest side.

Niels

Temporarily living in Tennessee

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 30th December 2010, 21:01   #3
Stephanie M

This is what keeps happening. It's always the best shots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4030183.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	301073  Click image for larger version

Name:	P4030182.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	301074  
Old Thursday 30th December 2010, 21:15   #4
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Looks like the camera is focusing on the background rather than the bird. Does your camera have a "spot focusing" option (not sure if that is the right term)? If so, turn it on if it is off. On my FZ18, there's an option for this, and brackets appear in the middle of the view screen that show the small area that the camera will try to focus on. If you can fix that on the bird, then you will (hopefully) be all right.

hope this helps,
Jim

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 31st December 2010, 09:54   #5
Stephanie M

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Moore View Post
Looks like the camera is focusing on the background rather than the bird. Does your camera have a "spot focusing" option (not sure if that is the right term)? If so, turn it on if it is off. On my FZ18, there's an option for this, and brackets appear in the middle of the view screen that show the small area that the camera will try to focus on. If you can fix that on the bird, then you will (hopefully) be all right.

hope this helps,
Jim
Thanks for your reply.
What happens is this. There is a small oblong area in the middle of the screen when I press the button and I believe the camera concentrates the auto focus on whatever is in this area. The problem arises when I then press the button to take the shot and the oblong area moves off centre and focuses on something else. Also I can line up a shot like I did with a rather close up Roe Deer, but when I shoot the camera focuses on a twig or a leaf between myself and the animal.
Old Friday 31st December 2010, 10:19   #6
NoSpringChicken

Hi Stephie. I have downloaded the manual for your camera and it should be possible to change the focusing method to 'SPOT' which is probably the best option for bird photography. In the menu choose 'AF Mode' and see which option is selected at the moment. It looks as if 'iESP' is the default position and, if this is so, change it to 'SPOT'.

If you do this you should be able to locate the target on the bird (or whatever else you want to be in focus) and half press the shutter. Keep you finger in that position, not releasing it again, and recompose the shot how you wish. You then press the shutter button the rest of the way down to take the shot.

It sounds to me as if iESP is selected and the camera is choosing what to focus on, rather than you.

I hope this helps.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 31st December 2010, 12:41   #7
Stephanie M

Thanks very much Ron. I will give it a try.
Old Wednesday 12th January 2011, 07:17   #8
Rajsurin

..also check if you have "face detection" switched on..(wish it had "bird detection" )

regards.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: