• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird fledgling? (1 Viewer)

_bella_

Does anyone know how long before a blackbird fledgling can fly?

We have just had a nest of blackbirds for the first time in 15 years of owning our house, but the cats have discovered it. I knew we had a nest, but it's so out of the way I had no way to know how old the babies were and whether they had left the nest or not. Our garden is closed off so the cats can't get out and neighbor cats can't get in, but now we have blackbirds fledgling in the garden I have to keep the cats confined indoors. Our birddog shows no interest in it, luckily. I have only seen one, so I don't know if there is another one or not but I assume it's just the one.

Hi, the young blackbirds should be able to fly within a few days of leaving the nest, although they almost certainly won't be very proficient for a couple of days. They'll stay around the nest area for two or three weeks before the adults will drive them off before attempting a second brood.

Thank you so much for the reply.
It's still around this morning which makes it about four days since we noticed it. It's pretty easy to find as it leaves streaks of poop in the tree or bush it has sat the whole night.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back