• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

powershots, to click or not to click? (1 Viewer)

woodhornbirder

camera nuub here, am after a camera to take record shots of waders etc that I cant id.

Given my budget am thinking of these 2 atmo:

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera

vs

Nikon Coolpix L830 ( 16.76 MP,34 x Optical Zoom,3 -inch LCD

I dont really understand why the canon is more expensive? will buy second hand or refurbished.

budget is ~£55

Not bothered about getting fancy pics i just want reasonable shots at distance....and nest bang for my buck. There any differnce in lense quality between these mid range optical zoomOmancers?

Save your money till you can get the canon sx50 or Nikon p610. They are both superb for what they are and will give you all the reach you will need!

I think I did read that the canon had a better AF in practical terms. It is a while ago and I might be wrong, I have never used either. If you have not already, then take a look at the similar Panasonic cameras.

Niels

Your budget is the gating item.
I don't know UK prices, but for that sum, about $75, you will need to go second hand or 'new old stock'. Ebay might be one source, there are internet deals and stores sometimes have second hand sales, but usually only of pricey gear.
If you can find an SX40 within your budget, it should serve your turn. The SX50 is better, but too dear. It might be worth seeing whether there are deals for the other brands, Fuji, Panasonic, Sony etc. They often carry discounts to the Canon or Nikon offering.
There are lots of camera sites, but most focus on high end lenses and bodies, so the budget constrained consumer does not get much help.
Simultaneously, the camera makers are spewing out a flood of zoom lens cameras to differentiate their product from the ubiquitous cell phne cameras. You can find most of these listed at DPreview, a US centric site owned by Amazon. http://www.dpreview.com/
That will at least allow you some comparison basis for the models you eventually consider.
All the best and good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back