• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HG binoculars (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

I am trying to get a handle on the Nikon HG line of binoculars, particularly in the 10x42 format, to which I refer below, but can find few details.

The first of the line in the UK was the HG DCF (this may have been called the Venturer in the US). I cannot find detailed specifications nor any review but I have read that these had lead in the glass. At some stage the bin became eco friendly, with eco-glass and were arsenic free. https://www.nikon.co.uk/customer_services/brochure_request/pdfs/sportoptics_040212.pdf . Important to me was a claimed eye-relief of 18.5 mm.

This was superseded by the HG-L line, labelled Premium in the US. The eco credentials were retained, but they were lighter and had a claimed eye-relief of 18.5 mm.

The new Monarch HG line has a 6.9 degree field of view, a significant increase over the 6 degrees of the previous models but, for me, possibly of no avail because of the significantly reduced eye-relief of only 17mm.

Is this progress?

The Nikon edg was their top of the line and widely regarded as analpha, but I need more information on the earlier models, especially specifications and reviews. Is the Monarch intended to fill a gap by Nikon removing the HG-L from its product range? Would it be better, optically than the HG-L? Did that model have flaws warranting its demise or will it continue (?) to serve as a useful part of the product line?

It was interesting that Typo had to get Nikon staff at Birdfair 2016 to find an EDG model for him to compare. It does not seem as though Nikon is promoting the EDG line any more.

Is the company really interested in premium binoculars or not?

If anyone can provide specifications, reviews or other info, please post here or send me a PM.

Thank you.

The prior Nikon HG line had silver coated prisms whereas Nikon says about the new Monarch HG that a "high-quality multilayer coating is applied to all lenses and prisms while dielectric high-reflective multilayer coating is applied to the roof prisms".

Yes, I saw that but, using allbinos transmittance figures (a gamble I agree) for the hg-l, I doubt I would see the difference.

what is the rate of deterioration of silver on the prisms?

Yes, I saw that but, using allbinos transmittance figures (a gamble I agree) for the hg-l, I doubt I would see the difference.

what is the rate of deterioration of silver on the prisms?

You might notice that a silver coating results in a 'warmer' view than the higher transmitting dielectric coating. You may prefer one of these views over the other.

Lee

As pointed out by Lee, I would expect a more neutral color balance in the new Monarch HG with the dielectric prism coatings.

Even though the new HG probably has better light transmission than the prior model, it is doubtful that it will be noticeable in normal daytime viewing. However, to me and generally speaking, contrast seems to be better in binoculars with dielectric coatings. Overall, I thought binoculars with dielectric coated prisms have a more natural view with greater perceived brightness. I think you will notice a difference but I do not know which you would prefer.

I have a Monarch 7 8X30 and it has dielectric coated prisms and I am very pleased with the center view it provides. I would expect the new Monarch HG to do even better.

I have read about deterioration of silver coated prisms which I assume to be due to oxidation. There have not been many posts about this so I am thinking it is not an issue with a quality binocular. I have a long discontinued Bausch and Lomb Elite binocular that has silver coatings and all is fine. Other than maybe the rubber eye cups, I expect it to outlast me.

How would i detect degradation of silver coated prisms?

If I found a Nikon HG binocular bought in 2002 or thereabouts, would the Nikon warranty cover repair replacement?

I am trying to get a handle on the Nikon HG line of binoculars, particularly in the 10x42 format, to which I refer below, but can find few details.

The first of the line in the UK was the HG DCF (this may have been called the Venturer in the US). I cannot find detailed specifications nor any review but I have read that these had lead in the glass. At some stage the bin became eco friendly, with eco-glass and were arsenic free. https://www.nikon.co.uk/customer_services/brochure_request/pdfs/sportoptics_040212.pdf . Important to me was a claimed eye-relief of 18.5 mm.

This was superseded by the HG-L line, labelled Premium in the US. The eco credentials were retained, but they were lighter and had a claimed eye-relief of 18.5 mm.

The new Monarch HG line has a 6.9 degree field of view, a significant increase over the 6 degrees of the previous models but, for me, possibly of no avail because of the significantly reduced eye-relief of only 17mm.

Is this progress?

The Nikon edg was their top of the line and widely regarded as analpha, but I need more information on the earlier models, especially specifications and reviews. Is the Monarch intended to fill a gap by Nikon removing the HG-L from its product range? Would it be better, optically than the HG-L? Did that model have flaws warranting its demise or will it continue (?) to serve as a useful part of the product line?

It was interesting that Typo had to get Nikon staff at Birdfair 2016 to find an EDG model for him to compare. It does not seem as though Nikon is promoting the EDG line any more.

Is the company really interested in premium binoculars or not?

If anyone can provide specifications, reviews or other info, please post here or send me a PM.

Thank you.

In my opinion the Monarch HG is intended to replace the HG Ls which are now known as Premiers since the introduction of the EDGs in 2012. I want to get an 8x42 because its long eye relief, wide flat FOV, magnesium construction and light weight. It weighs about the same as an 8x32 EDG.

The EDG, I am confident, is going to be around a while longer. People can argue about Allbinos but I have seen nothing to fault their ratings. The 3 EDGs rated rank very high with the other Alpha binoculars competing with them. It is hard to find them but they can be purchased through Nikon's USA website if one is not determined to purchase them at a discount.

I have a couple of these "HG Ls." The 8x32 and 10x32. In the USA they are designated as LX L.

The letters HG L and LX L do not appear on the binoculars although HG L appears on the boxes they all come in, including the LX Ls. The HG L series was introduced on 11/19/2004. They received the new designation of "Premier" on 3/12 2012 after the EDG was introduced. That is what they are known as now on the Nikon USA binocular website for 2016 although only the 10x42 and 8x32 are still listed and both of them are noted as "back ordered."

See this Nikon News Index for information about when various Nikon binoculars were introduced.

http://www.nikon.com/news/2004/index.htm

In the USA one can purchase all of Nikon's binoculars through its website if they are listed as being in stock. There are 82 binoculars listed:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/all-binoculars/index.page

For instance, if you want to purchase the Premier 10x42 see this:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/premier-10x42.html

I should note that these 42mm Premier/HGL/LXL binoculars were notorious for "Rolling Ball." The 32mm versions were not affected by it. There were only 4 of them, both versions had 8x and 10x. There was no 7x42. All of them were known for their very fast, extremely smooth, precise focusing ability and they all have flat fields with sharpness out very close to the edge of the view.

Even though I have had my 8x32 and 10x32 for many years I have seen nothing to indicate that the silver coated mirrors in the prisms have deteriorated. The binoculars are both still bright and in very good shape.

I have been able to compare them to my new 10x32 EDG which is brighter and better in all respects, as it should be since it is a complete re-design. The focusing is a bit slower. The Eye Cups are improved and the hanging balance from the neck strap is more comfortable.

You can check the Nikon website for Great Britain to see if it is possible to purchase a Nikon from there.

Bob

PS: The Eco Glass arrived around 2004 or there about if my memory is correct which it often is not.

PPS: Here is an early review of an 8x32 HG DCF comparing it with a Swarovski EL 8x32: http://www.lintuvaruste.fi/hinnasto/optiikkaarvostelu/optics_7_nikonHG_swaro32EL_GB.shtml

It is in English.

PPPS: I should also note that the Diopter on the EDG is located on the focusing wheel whereas it is on the right eyepiece on the HGL/Premier. This does contribute to the higher cost of the EDG. Personally I have never been able to determine how and why this is an improvement over the older tried and true method of putting it on the right eyepiece.:smoke:

Last edited:
BruceH

I don't often get my brain in gear these days - advancing years - but it dawned on me, in the early hours, that if oxidation is the cause of silver coatings deterioration, this would no occur in nitrogen purged bins until the seals had failed. How long might that take?

Ceasar

Thank you for your thoughtful reply - very useful to me.

BruceH

I don't often get my brain in gear these days - advancing years - but it dawned on me, in the early hours, that if oxidation is the cause of silver coatings deterioration, this would no occur in nitrogen purged bins until the seals had failed. How long might that take?

Ceasar

Thank you for your thoughtful reply - very useful to me.

Afaik, the silver coatings primary defense against oxidation is a sealing material that covers the exposed side. The nitrogen purge of the instrument is a secondary protection only, so even if air leaks in, the silver surfaces will still be protected.

Etudiant,

That is good to know. Oxidization risk may only be a minor problem.

I have been looking at allbinos transmission figures and I do not see a clear distinction separating the HG-l from the EDG

So I am wondering if the Monarch HG will show significant improvements over the HG-L, and in what areas

It sounds like Nikon is finally taking me up on my suggestion to update its outdated HGL/Premier line by offering a wider FOV, open bridge roof with field flatteners in the second tier price point for those of us who don't want to or can't afford to spend $2.4k on an EDG II.

Henry and I debated this two or three years ago. He didn't think that Nikon would make such a bin since it would be too similar to the EDG and the price would put it too close. I argued that with all the companies offering dielectric coated prism roofs at this price point, many of which have open bridge designs, and some of which have field flatteners, Nikon would get left behind if it didn't offer a competing bin and find a way to keep the price close to what the Premier was selling for (around $1600). Manufacturing it in China could easily do that. With the EDG selling for around $2,400, an open bridge HGL would cost $800 less - more than enough for a Rosetta course in Mandarin so I could read the instruction manual. :)

As Bob mentioned, the HG line was "notorious" for its "rolling ball," and I believe the HG was the first sports optics bin in modern times to have such low distortion, which set the ball rolling for other companies to follow suit and turn back the hands of time. I settled for the 8x32 HG because the optics had more pincushion, but I always felt that the full sized models had better optics, the views through the 10x42 model, in particular, were stunning. Beat the pants off the Swarovski EL that was offered at that time due to noticeably better color saturation.

I look forward to reading the reviews of the new Monarch HG, particularly from someone who is sensitive to RB.

Brock

Brock ...... Welcome back. :t:

The new Monarch HG should give Nikon something to capture part of the thousand dollar market and compete against the Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortex Razor HD and the new LeicaTrinovid HD. Lots of top choices for the consumer.

The Nikon Monarch 8X42 looks especially interesting to me with a nice wide field of 435 ft and lens flatteners to make most of it usable. Most comments so far have been favorable, with maybe some small ca issues near the edge. If they follow the same formula as with the EDG, rolling ball should be at a minimum.

Maybe this new line will motivate Nikon USA to get more serious about the sports optics line of the business and we will get to see one sooner rather than later.

I have a Monarch 7 8X30 and it has dielectric coated prisms and I am very pleased with the center view it provides. I would expect the new Monarch HG to do even better.

I have the same binos and the same opinion.

The field of view at 1,000 m of 145 m makes me think about not taking the Leica Ultravit HDplus with the 7x magnification but go for Nikon. The Leica 7x delivers a FOV of "just" 140 m at 1.000 m at a higher price.

Hi Brock!
:hi:

Good to see you back! Your avatar hasn't aged a bit!

I don't think there will be any RB problems with the flat field on the HG. As you know Nikon probably has more experience with flat field binoculars than the other companies do; going back to the SE around 1995.

I don't think that the EDG has any optical issues; my 10x32 EDG (2nd version) doesn't and the EDG (1st version) that I previously owned did not have any either. Its glare control is superb.

Nikon did not test the limits of a wide flat field on the EDG which is what they seem to be doing with the HG, albeit conservatively.

Did you notice that the FOV of the 10x42 Monarch HG is about the same as the FOV of the 10x35 EII with all its pincushion but the FOV of the 8x42 Monarch HG is about 1/2º smaller than the FOV of the 8x30 EII? In fact, it has the same FOV as that of the 8x30 Monarch 7.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back