• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

X-FI for bird sounds (1 Viewer)

colin mm

Hi everyone,i havnt been on for a long time,but thought i would say hello with this thread about my x-fi i just recieved.I ripped a couple of birdsong cd's onto my pc and put them into my player and found it very easy to go to any named bird and listen to it.Just need to know what im hearing by seeing it first before i start identifying by sound,is there a way of adding pictures to it with the name and sound added?This could help enormously in my learning curve i think?Or could i put the sound with a pic of the bird somehow on my pc then put it into my player,or am i expecting too much of it?Thanks a lot.

You could author a wmv or MJPEG movie with a still or scan of the bird and your sound using your PC, looks like the x-fi will do wmv or mjpeg. Windows Media encoder will let you feed in a still and a sound. Or convert something like the British Bird Songs DVD, but you often lose the menu in ripping DVDs which will make using the result difficult. But you'll be working hard for this if what you really want is the collins e-guide to birds - that's an awful lot of video authoring to do ;)

You could author a wmv or MJPEG movie with a still or scan of the bird and your sound using your PC, looks like the x-fi will do wmv or mjpeg. Windows Media encoder will let you feed in a still and a sound. Or convert something like the British Bird Songs DVD, but you often lose the menu in ripping DVDs which will make using the result difficult. But you'll be working hard for this if what you really want is the collins e-guide to birds - that's an awful lot of video authoring to do ;)

Thanks ermine,im not very pc literate,so it looks like i wont be trying that,iv seen that collins e-guide before ,but i dont have the hardware to put it in,and was hoping for a cheap fix with what i asked,i think ill keep my field guide handy with my x-fi for sounds when i can get out for now,thanks for the help.

Actually it's a lot easier than I had thought.

If you use Windows Movie Maker, which is free with XP, then you can add the picture and the sound and save as windows media. As in the attached blackbird file, which ought to be in a format to play right on your x-fi

Attachments

• Blackbird Turdus merula.wmv
    182.9 KB · Views: 140

If you use Windows Movie Maker, which is free with XP, then you can add the picture and the sound and save as windows media. As in the attached blackbird file, which ought to be in a format to play right on your x-fi

That looks good,thanks ill give it a try,im not too clued up with this so it could be a long night.;)

Iv managed to make a picture sound file,i cant even make a link to show you,but i cant seem to get it into my xfi?

how do you get normal music into your x-fi? Actually, just to make sure we are talking about the same bit of kit, an x-fi is one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001C9RY34/400001938-21/?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

or these

http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=17810

I take it :) Else we might be talking at cross purposes...

According to creative you copy files to the device using windows explorer, pretty much like you copy to any USB disk?

how do you get normal music into your x-fi? Actually, just to make sure we are talking about the same bit of kit, an x-fi is one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001C9RY34/400001938-21/?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

or these

http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=17810

I take it :) Else we might be talking at cross purposes...

According to creative you copy files to the device using windows explorer, pretty much like you copy to any USB disk?

Yes thats it the second link,Iv been using the creative centale programme,all my other things automatically transfer to it,then i can transfer to my x-fi,but the pic and sound file doesnt seem to be there?Even after i dragged and dropped it .Im not sure what you mean about windows explorer?,ill try to drag and drop it into the x-fi as a mass storage device instead of using the programme,ill let you know how it goes.

Just tried it and it shows as if its copying over,but i still cant find it,im very puzzled by this??

Last edited:
Hi ermine,with loads of mucking about i figured out how to do the windows film,and i now have 28 pics and sounds of birds on my x-fi,i was looking in the wrong place on my x-fi,it didnt dawn on me to look in videos,i told you i wasnt clued up on these things|:$|.Thanks for helping,i would never have been able to do it without your help.Its very easy to pick a bird pic and listen at the same time now,ill keep adding to it as i go along and ill be taking it out with me to help me learn as i go,thanks again.:t:

Colin,

great to hear you got it sorted :) If you've already got 28 pics then it sounds like you have the process pretty well streamlined!

Colin,

great to hear you got it sorted :) If you've already got 28 pics then it sounds like you have the process pretty well streamlined!

I have,there are 39 on there now:t:I might just start at number one and go through my disks now i know what im doing,then ill have the complete british list on.

Just another idea i had,is there a way of adding a verbal discription with the pic sound file,then transfer that to my x-fi too,would be a good way of giving some details as well as the sound and pic,just a thought or am i getting carried away with it?

you can do that - you need need the free Audacity - or any audio editor you already may have. Record your description as a stereo 44.1KHz track and append it to the bird sound as you wish. Then run it with the photo just as you would with the bird song before

Whats the recipe?

Hi
how do you actually do this, when I drag a photo into WMP screen the sound is replaced by the jpeg??
Stein, Norway

You use Windows Movie Maker, not player.Import pic and sound, drag pic to the video timeline and audio to audio timeline, stretch the 'video' to match audio, and save

Actually if you need any help with authoring, etc on media players, try this www.anythingbutipod.com - good site with user input. I've played around with some camcorder footage in Windows Movie Maker and it's easy to use.

thanks for input, for beeing free with the XP it actually works very well! Not to wonder I couldn't get MoviePlayer to work the way I thought.. ;)
Stein

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back